Thinking of leaving my job after 10 years

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jan 2, 2016.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 2, 2016

I haven't logged in for a while now, but while I was teaching, I loved coming in here for ideas and suggestions. I learned so much from everyone. The past three years have been a challenge. I became a Vice-Principal, and went through 3 changes administration changes. Every year, we had a new principal! It was a nightmare, yet its been well worth it. It is exhausting, but I love what I do.

However, I didn't get my degree in administration, I went for school counseling. Since I work at a private school, the pay is still under $27,000. I know money isn't everything, but with student loans, it has been difficult. I have recently felt the pressure to try and apply for a counseling job from my family.

I have started studying for my exam, since I am not yet a certified school counselor in Texas. I plan to apply by April. My fear is that I won't like it, or that after 10 years of being in the same school I will have a hard time adjusting.

I have heard so many different things about school counselors, do you know what school counselors do at your school? We don't have a school counselor, so I really can't ask anyone. Has anyone ever left their job after 10 years or more? Was the transition difficult?

The guilt I feel is that I have such close relationship with all my teachers, I would hate to leave. However, I think deep down I know I want more for my husband and I. I want more for me. :helpme:

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

Do what is best for you and your family. I work in a private school that I love, but where the pay is quite low (not as low as what you mention...) I can manage it right now in my life, but might not always be able to. I know my friends and colleagues would understand if I left.

Family comes first. Taking care of you is part of taking care of your family. It is okay to think about yourself first. It is healthy to think of yourself and your family first.

Backroads likes this.
  4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 2, 2016

Thank you, I guess I need to hear it from others. When I started there 10 years ago, I was thrilled to be teaching, then I got promoted. I guess now I feel like so much time has passed by and I still haven't done what I set out to do.

I love the private school atmosphere, which is my fear of leaving to a public school. I know all I can do is place it in God's hands. Thank you!

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 3, 2016

This is probably different everywhere and it depends on if you want to do elementary or secondary also. I work in a very low SES school with a ton of severe behavior issues. In the past we only had a school psych but this year we added a full time counselor. She is mostly just putting out fires with the severe behavior students all day. She is the first one called when someone is having a meltdown, which is pretty much all of the time. I mean serious melt downs- often to the point where the rest of the class has to be evacuated for safety. She also helps with behavior plans and talking with families. Occasionally students will go to her to talk about issues they are having or groups of friends will go in to try and resolve conflict, but I know this is hard for her to keep up with due to the number of kids that are constantly melting down. We have a school based therapist that provides weekly counseling through medicaid, so that falls more under his domain than the school counselor's. The school psych meets the IEP minutes for students that have mental health services as part of their IEP. With the staff, she leads PD about how to deal with behavior issues and how to put behavior plans into place. At the secondary level it seems that counselors are doing a whole lot less with behavior and doing more things like managing student schedules and helping with college admissions. I wouldn't want to do our school counselor's job for all the money in the world. I think it would especially be a big shock coming from a nice private school environment. It may be easier if you're able to find a job in a higher SES public school.

Personally, if I could afford to live on the $27,000 and the extra money is more about just having extra discretionary funds, I'd stay at the private school for the work environment. If it comes down to just not being able to survive on a private school salary, then I'd look elsewhere. My mom worked in a private school (for practically no money) and I would LOVE to be able to do that. However I'm single and can barely afford to live on a public school salary, especially since I'm in a really high COL area.

sweetlatina23 likes this.
  6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 3, 2016

Our elem level counselors put out fires, try to squeeze in some guidance, do a lot of social work type things for families in financial or emotional distress, and are the testing administrator for the building. They make way more than you to start, and it goes up.

HS counselors do a lot of scheduling and post-secondary advising.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2016

$27K is simply not enough compensation for your education and experience levels, IMO. you need to do what's right for you and your family. Definitely keep working on studying for the certification test so that you can explore other options out there. I left private Catholic School 17 years ago (I was making $19 K) and nearly doubled my salary the first year in public. I loved my time in private school,, my colleagues were great and so were the families. People in private schools tend to stay for those reasons and say they 'don't want to deal with the politics in the public sector'. The thing is there's 'politics' everywhere. There's also great colleagues, families and school cultures to be found in public- as well as better opportunities for professional development. After 17 years out in public, my salary has increased nearly 5 1/2 times over what I had been making in private- increases you know wouldn't be seen where you are still making $27 K after ten years!

I'm in elementary. The school counselors in my area (and in my building particularly) work one on one or in small groups with kids on issues such as social skills, coping with divorce, etc. She is our HIB contact (harassment, intimidation, bullying), serves on the interventions and referral committee, helps coordinate state testing schedules and other school related concerns. She's a great resource for families, students and staff.

Good luck to you!

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 3, 2016

Thank you for your response, I currently work with the students that have meltdowns at our school now. I love working with them, but I know it would be a huge difference. It is a Catholic school, I am able to use Spiritual counseling, I know that would be difficult for me.

I think my husband and I have managed so far, but we want to be able to buy a house. We only have one vehicle, and it would be great to have a back up vehicle. The downside is that we both work at the same place, I really love working at the same place. I guess I really need to consider my pros and cons. Thank you!

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 3, 2016

I love middle school students, but I think I would do better working at an elementary. I have heard that now counselors do a lot of scheduling and don't really get to work with students. Thank you!

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 3, 2016

Thank you! I think I needed that! You're right, I worked hard for my education. Politics are everywhere. I have seen it at the private Catholic school and it bugs me how certain people act and think. I think my biggest fear is leaving and they have hard time replacing me. However, I can't hold on to that. I know I will find comfort if I leave, I am sure there are great people in public schools. Thank you for your wise words!

11. amyjowin

amyjowin Rookie

Jan 7, 2016

You have one life so live it. Guilt is a control that as an adult you do not need. I am leaving education after 19 years. I just can't do this anymore and have any of my love of life left. I want to leave before I am too burned out. Good luck to you.

12. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 8, 2016

I did not work in a private school for that long but I left a low paying private christian school to work in inner city public school. I then moved to a more rural district outside of the city. It was hard to leave the private school because I did thoroughly enjoy working there. I was also the only male that worked at the school. The pay was just too low. I had very small classes and felt little pressure. I am still glad I made the move because it was better for my family. I actually now work in the same district as my wife.