Thinking of Heading South

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 7-12math, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 7-12math

7-12math New Member

Mar 5, 2011

Hello,

I currently live in NY but am thinking of relocating to find a teaching job. I am considering a move to North GA, NC, SC, or possibly VA. I am a single mother of 5 children (from 13-1) and should (hopefully) get close to 25,000 from the children's dad for about 5 years and then it will begin to drop. With a teacher's salary would that cover basic needs and a few extras...nothing outrageous. I just want to survive with my boys :)

I would prefer a small school district and a small town. My kids are very active in sports, Scouts, and the Catholic church. Does anyone have any ideas about those regions, school districts, towns etc regarding salaries, cost of living, job outlook, anything going on regionally and/or educationally that may come up on interviews etc.

Also, I am very concerned about minimizing the trauma a move so far can cause to my already confused and hurting children. Any ideas of how to make this easier on them or opinions or tips from anyone who has relocated?

I want to do as much research as possible in the next year so that I can make my decision in time to apply for the 2012-13 school year.

I really cannot thank you enough for your time and input.

3. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

I moved to NC from NY last year for a teaching job. I am a young, single, female, so my experience may be a little different as I did not have the needs of a family or children to consider when making my decision. Like you I was considering relocating to anywhere from VA to GA. I did some homework and finally settled on NC because I already had friends down here and one of them I now work with. Here are some of the things I've found:

-Teachers in VA start in the low 40's, but parts of VA can be very expensive to live in and just as expensive as NY. (I'm not sure what part you are coming from.)

-Teachers do make considerably less in NC, but the cost of living is MUCH cheaper than NY. They start in low 30's, but some districts will give sign on bonuses to out of state teachers. (Unfortunately with the economy the way it is some districts like mine have not offered them.) Some things are the going to be the same price. Gas is cheaper, but you will probably have to drive farther to get to places so it evens out. Housing is very affordable compared to NY. I have a two bedroom townhouse apartment and I pay $535 a month rent. That is in a more rural area and it is an older apartment, but it's a nice place and I know in NY I'd be paying probably at least $1200 a month for something comparable. My friends who have a house I believe only paid $128,000 for a three bedroom house in a complex with a nice size backyard.

I noticed you said that you would want to be near a Catholic church. I know where I am almost no one is Catholic. Everyone here is Baptist. There are several churches, but I think the nearest Catholic church may be almost an hour away. Something to think about.

Overall, I am pretty happy down here in the South. It is a lot more affordable and although it is an adjustment because there is less to do here socially (but there I am again talking as a single female) people are so much friendlier. I find the pace to be a lot slower and more laid back. Definitely not as stressful as NY!

I hope I helped you out. Welcome to the boards and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2011

Relocating children of divorce out of state can be tricky: if you haven't already done, you might want to ask your attorney about this.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 6, 2011

Also, look into some other southern states. Louisiana has good teacher play for the cost of living, and parts are majority Catholic. Outside of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Louisiana is like one giant, spread out small town.

6. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Mar 6, 2011

Try this website to find a Catholic church. http://www.masstimes.org/ As long as you move to a decent sized town, you should be able to find a Catholic Church. Georgia usually gives incentives for out of state teachers. Cost of living is also MUCH lower in most areas down here. I have a 4 bedroom home with a large back yard in town for $150,000

7. 7-12math

7-12math New Member

Mar 7, 2011

I really want to thank you all so much for your insight and advice.

Teachergroupie - I know moving with the children after a divorce can be tricky financially, legally, and emotionally. I want to make any adjustment as easy as possible for them thats's why I am trying to research and get opinions before doing anything. I want to be sure to dot my i's and cross my t's.

I have actually thought about Louisiana but think it's so far from NY. It'd be more than a day's drive. I'd also prefer someplace near the mountains with some change of season. Louisiana seems like a different world to me, but it's funny you mention it. I have a friend who moved from LA who was just telling me the other day that's where she thought I should go-that we'd love it there.
    Miss Celia B I think I'll have to start looking into it more seriously. I can't ignore being told about LA twice in a matter of days! Thank you.

I didn't realize any states might still be offering signing bonuses. That's another incentive. Georgia is really where I seem to have set my heart. I currently like on the Hudson a bit south of Albany and north GA seems very similar. I will look up info on mass times- what a great website! Thank you alschoolteacher!

Mellz Bellz-I used to teach outside of Charlotte and loved NC-part of why I have always wanted to go back. My husband had a hard time in the South so we moved back to NY but I would love to return. I absolutely agree about the gentler pace and friendlier people. Thank you for giving me specifics about salaries, housing and everything. I admire you for making the move and am glad to hear you are happy there!

Thank you all again!

8. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

Where outside of Charlotte if you don't mind me asking? I live about an hour outside of Charlotte and the district I teach in is between Charlotte and Greensboro.

9. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

I want to know, too! I'm from the other side of Charlotte. So many North Carolinians!

10. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Mar 7, 2011

GA is really sort of a mess right now, education wise. You might find a small town setting that has some openings, but GA is a tough state to find jobs in the more desirable (read: a district you'd want your kids in) districts. North Ga is a very nice area. We live in a one of the more northern counties and I can tell you my county isn't hiring and is actually looking at some cuts again this year. It's a great school system and once teachers get in, they just don't leave very often. I ended up going with a private school to be able to keep my kids in our fantastic, public system and still have a job this year.

Sounds like some others have given you better news in some other southern states. As I said, it's sad but GA is just a mess still. You can look at jobs in GA on the teachgeorgia.org. Now is the time when contracts are being issued and schools are beginning to see what openings they may have for the fall.

Good luck!!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 7, 2011

I agree with this. Go over your divorce decree and custody paperwork with a fine toothed comb. I had to file for an addendum, from out of state, no less, to be able to legally have my kids outside of Miami-Dade county, let alone the state of Florida. For me, it was fairly simple, since we had proved abandonment several years prior, but I still had to have the wording of the decree amended.

12. 7-12math

7-12math New Member

Mar 9, 2011

Mellz Bellz & PorquePig...I actually taught in the Charlotte-Mecklenberg Catholic school system for a small school called All Saints in Pineville. I loved the people I worked with and the kids! I so wish I had stayed!!!

As far as the divorce decree...I know it will probably be tricky, but my husband took off out of the blue & moved 90 miles away with a hs girlfriend he reconnected with on FB. I was 5 months pregnant with our 5th baby-who was quite a surprise-& it turns out a huge blessing for all of us!-& in and out of the hospital on home IV treatments for pregnancy related illnesses. It hasn't been easy and it seems like he's gone out of his way to be hurtful since but who knows...he's not paying child support often or much & I need to work so maybe it's possible to move. mmswm-was there any piece of advice you can give etc from your experience that would help prove my case?

As far as GA Mommyserenity thank you for the insight there too. One of my biggest fears is moving my boys and then being let go after a year or two and having to uproot them again. I went for my math certification hoping to be more marketable and am seriously thinking about north GA. I will defintiely look into cuts etc more. I think I would want to go next school year...give myself time to research and explore over the summer before making any decisions. Thank you so much again for your insight. Also, if you don't mind my asking...how do private school salaries compare to public school salaries in the south? Can you live on either with 5 kids?

Thanks so much to all of you! :)

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 9, 2011

7-12, my situation is very different from yours, but I'll try to give relevant advice :). On the other hand, maybe not. My ex-husband abandoned me when I got pregnant with our third child, knowing, from our other two, that I am a very high risk pregnant woman. Thank goodness for family, because I spent 12 weeks in perinatal ICU before giving birth to my youngest at barely 26 weeks.

At the time I was going for abandonment, I wasn't trying to relocate. I was attempting to have my ex's rights terminated. As it turns out, paying child support isn't enough to prevent an abandonment charge from sticking. My ex was pays child support, but only because the state garnishes his wages. The existence or lack of child support plays a surprisingly small role. I had to document his lack of effort in being a presence in his children's lives. What that meant was I showed where I had attempted to keep him involved, but he failed to respond. I had to get other people to testify that he was totally absent, physically and emotionally from the kids' lives, and that he made no effort to change that. The court did rule in favor of abandonment, but I never actually had his rights terminated.

Fast forward several years, and for reasons I don't really want to go into, I left the state. For whatever reason, I sat down and read my divorce decree one night. When I did so, I realized that I might have a problem. I contacted my old lawyer, who filed for the amendment on my behalf, and had it decisioned in my absence. Since we had previously proved abandonment, and the same judge that handled the divorce, child support and abandonment hearings also heard this one, he pretty much rubber stamped it. The county did retain jurisdiction over child support issue. If I ever want to sue for an increase or something similar, I'd have to go back to Miami. Since I now live in North Dakota, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Anyway, the best advise I can give you is to document everything, even if it seems silly. Then, go talk to a lawyer. There are quite a few free services out there who will give you legal advise, and most attorneys will give you a free consultation. You can bring your paperwork and the lawyer can read it and advise you on the best way to proceed.