Thinking of changing careers and just started!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jteach89, May 24, 2013.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 24, 2013

I just graduated a few months ago with a B.A. in Childhood education, and was one of the fortunate ones to get a job right out of college.

Ive been working at a teaching job for almost 4 months and feeling like it is not for me. I have my NYS license in childhood and early childhood education. Maybe its my insecurity, lack of confidence and inexperience but been feeling no motivation to do anything teaching related. Ive decided to apply for a less leadership roles such as assistant teaching to perhaps gain more experience. Even non teaching entry level jobs as well.

I also had a rough start at my work environment as well which really gave me a bad impression so I distrust my boss and feel like there is lack of communication and professionalism as well. I feel like I am not a part of the team.

As hard as it is to find jobs, and as terrible as this economy is, I am trying and coping until I find something else.

So just looking for some advise, should I leave this job on my resume? Should I try to stick it out give it a chance? Has anyone ever been in this situation before? :help: thanks

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

4 months...so you started in January? I wonder if the stress and difficulty of starting midyear contributes to your feelings.

Do you think maybe you would like teaching somewhere with a better work environment and a more supportive boss?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

It can really vary by school. In the area I am searching in, 80% of the middle school jobs require you to have a secondary certificate. Where I teach, it doesn't matter one way or they other.

However, I will point out that a history endorsement isn't likely to help you a lot. Social Studies positions are generally over saturated. You will have a lot more success with math/science.

5. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 24, 2013

I started in Feb. I do think starting mid year may be why im having doubts. I started out as a sub in one classroom and now im in another room.

Im not sure how they do things in other places, but I was pretty much thrown into a class, had to plan for about a month. Now im switched into a new class, and asked to implement lessons now with kids I really don't know yet. This would be my permanent class in the fall, with brand new students, starting off fresh but I don't think i can stick it out until then. I can admit to being unconfident, and unsure because now im learning a new routine and they are having higher expectations from me.

I just feel like im not a part of this puzzle piece lol. I feel is a combination of the people I work with and as Ive said, lack of experience. All I know, and all Ive learned is teaching, and I'm really losing touch. I hate the idea of having to go "backwards" but thinking I need more experience. I really should have quit this job a while ago, the first time that boss rubbed me the wrong way. Now I just cant deal...

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

Also, just so you know, forum policy is that you can only post a topic once (in one category). Your other threads will be closed as soon as a mod notices.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 24, 2013

jteach89,
    It sounds like your mind is made up about quitting.
    You can't go on anymore and everything is falling apart.
    It is a feeling that a lot of new teachers go through, and it does not make it easier when you do not feel like a part of the team, and you don't trust your management people. Sorry to read about that.
    My favorite advice that I always give on this site and anywhere people know me, "Ask God for his guidance and help. He's the Man with the plan." He can help you with everything!
    I hope things will get better, and if you're prompted to go a different route, then let it be.
    Prayers coming your way.
    Rebel1

8. JrTeach

JrTeach Rookie

May 24, 2013

Thanks, was thinking that would be the case but wasnt sure the best place for it, I agree though that S.S would be hard to come by so I will probably toss that out the window, Where are you looking for jobs?

9. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

May 24, 2013

I think an added endorsement is just fine without changing over to secondary education. Because 4th,5th,and 6th is still really elementary so I don't see why you would need to change to secondary. Just get the additional endorsements and you'll be fine.

10. JrTeach

JrTeach Rookie

May 24, 2013

Thank you who knows I may end up liking Elementary edu and decide to stay put :) FYI jteach89 my post were moved to yours maybe they thought we were the same people since my name is JrTeach?? Idk, sorry though wasn't trying to take over your post maybe a mod can move me back out of it...since they were so kind to put me in it lol ;) to address your question you must have had a passion for teaching to begin with or you wouldn't had the heart to go all 4 years in school. I would pray about it, and try it again for another year I have always heard beginning teachers usually get discouraged quickly and leave the profession within 1-3 years so hang in there!! You have this under your belt!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

Michigan. Preferably in southeast Michigan- which is one of the toughest markets there are :crosseyed
    I'm in the hiring pool for a few jobs in one particular district. They received over 6000 applicants for their elementary posting :eek::|:dizzy:

12. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

May 24, 2013

I have the same degree as well as certification... are you working in a day care center, early learning center or a school district?

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

:dizzy:Why are there two threads here??

14. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 25, 2013

JrTeach, it's best to start a new thread when you have an unrelated question or topic. Otherwise it gets really confusing. :)

Jteach89, can you be a bit more specific? What are the major issues that you're experiencing? What was the rough start?

You said, "Now im switched into a new class, and asked to implement lessons now with kids I really don't know yet." This will happen every single year when your new students start back to school in the fall. Maybe you can implement a morning meeting, or some other relationship-building activities to help get to know them.

"I really should have quit this job a while ago, the first time that boss rubbed me the wrong way. Now I just cant deal..."

In my experience, there will always be times when your boss (almost ANY boss) rubs you the wrong way. If that's enough to make you quit, you may have a hard time staying put long enough to feel comfortable and less overwhelmed.

I started a new position this spring (after being a SAHM for four years) and it's been 3 months now. Have there been moments where I've felt overwhelmed? Absolutely! I think that just goes with starting mid-year. If I were in your shoes I would try to stick it out. Isn't your school year almost over?

15. JrTeach

JrTeach Rookie

May 25, 2013

***FOR THOSE WONDERING***

As stated in a previous reply I posted above I did not originally post in this topic, A MOD moved my post(s) here I had posted 3 things in 3 different sub topics and they decided to move all here. They MUST have got jteach89 and my name mixed up! Sorry for the confusion if I can move this back out myself, please let me know and I would be happy to do so!!:help::sorry::mad:

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

jTeach: he first year is tough, especially if you start in the middle of the year. I would suggest trying to stick it out for the rest of the school year at least (which is over or almost over for most now). I personally wouldn´t just throw in the towel. It might just be the school or grade you don´t like. It takes a while to figure out what you are doing as a teacher, and you might just need time.

17. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 25, 2013

lol Im saying the same thing. But like jrteach said I guess they got our names mixed up.. idk :confused::confused: never had that happen before lol but any who

thanks for everyone who responded to MY ORIGINAL related topic post.

I have definitely been praying about it. I work at a daycare. in which they are open all year round but still have to follow learning standards as if it were a public school.

And at creativeTR its a long story lol but what made gave me a sour taste in my mouth was delayed payment and information not told up front. When i first started, It took them 7 weeks to pay me and according to them I wasn't even on the books. I expect about a month but two months?? I know its not all about the money I just felt like the boss was not being clear. To me it seem like they were trying to cover up the fact that a teacher, although they were leaving for two months, was still getting paid, even though I was in that room. There was a mis-communication or lack of between the boss and personnel. And the fact that the boss DID not even tell me it just seems like I wasnt not supposed to be hired so soon but they were desperate.

And to add I feel the boss is very inconsistent with their behavior and words. One moment I get yelled at because I'm not careful or "aware" enough about specific child injuries, but the next minute I'm told I'm babying them. :confused: They say one thing and then their actions prove other wise.

I seriously don't know what to do. I don't want to have to change jobs the moment I get such a crappy, shady boss or co-workers. Maybe its me. I feel like its very clique environment and the boss is not as neutral as I feel a boss should be. And of course being the new person, I am not really paid much mind only expected to do what Im supposed to do. I do just want to be comfortable where I work and I don't feel it. I don't like the work ethics of the folks here.

18. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 25, 2013

Are you looking for a job in the public schools in your area? In my district, we have a preK class in certain schools and those teachers are paid the same salary as k-5 teachers. I would start looking ASAP and THEN put your notice in once you've secured a new position.

19. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

May 25, 2013

That's my dream job Pre-K in a school district!!! It's so hard to find one though because not all the schools have it and if they do the teachers stay till they are like 80!!! It's so frustrating.... I worked at a Day care for 3 years teaching 3-4 year olds... I moved to a catholic school to teach 3-5 year olds in CT and now I am doing the samething but at a school readiness school... it's really hard to find your dream job these days :(

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

What are you certified to teach? I didn't realize you were at a daycare. I have heard many stories about daycares being poorly run, so maybe that is part of the problem?

21. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 25, 2013

I've tried and still trying. Im in the nyc area and to get a job in a public school is impossible.I did the online application, I got through but so far nothing. Even trying to get connections through networking nothing yet but still looking.

22. JrTeach

JrTeach Rookie

May 25, 2013

Have you though about being a sub to get your foot in the door? I have heard several people doing that in my area then they are sometimes offered the positions before the new people but sometimes not just depends. I am also working in a daycare now, while finishing my degree mine is ran really well and very laid back, however I will tell you that the daycare side of education is NOT for me, so I have found a new job that I will start in June and once I finish my degree will start applying for public schools. I'm sure you have heard this but remember, Its not what you know, its who you know when applying for jobs. Continue to pray God will lead you to the correct answer.

23. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

May 25, 2013

I'm certified to teach childhood education grades 1-6, and b-2nd certification. I would definitely say disorganization. And these kids do real work so although because its the primary age, there is still a lot of work to do. And the pay is much less, I would prefer and have been trying to get into the public school system. (not sure if its better lol) But its very hard and it seems like they want someone with at least 2+ years experience and a masters. I would like to go back next spring to start my masters but still deciding on what I should do.