Thinking of Asking to be Reassigned (long, sorry!)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AChancetoTeach, Jan 16, 2011.

1. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I never dreamed I would even think of it. I love teaching 2nd grade and always knew that was my grade level. However, my teaching partner seems bent on making me miserable. I've "killed her with kindness" for 3 years now and I'm just worn out.

I have no idea why she doesn't like me. I have done nothing to her since I came on board. I've bent over backwards to be the team player (there are three of us). My other partner agrees that the tension is very thick and she has no clue either. The animosity is only directed at me. She will not speak unless I force her to. Her curt and clipped responses would freeze water. I can say "Good Morning" and be ignored. She will stop conversations when I walk into the room. I've even had parents ask me why she is so hateful to me. I've gone to her and asked if I've done something to offend her and she blows it off and doesn't give me anything to indicate what it might be.

The cold shoulder is there and it's real and I have no idea why, but I'm so tired of being left out and treated badly and talked to with the "tone" that I'm thinking of asking to be reassigned. I'm just to the point that a fresh start actually gives me hope in my teaching. I've prayed so hard for this situation, that I would get a peace about it or that it could be fixed. I've prayed that whatever I've done be revealed to me, so I'll understand. I just don't think it's worth my misery to stay.

Any of you have this experience and can share with me what to do? I'd really like to know if any of you have ever gone to your principal and asked to be reassigned. Thank you in advance for any advice you have!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 16, 2011

If it has gotten to the point of you being willing to resign, why not just sit her down and in your best nonconfrontational way (with a peace offering--coffee or something) and flat out ask her if there is anything you can do to help your relationship with her. Is there anything about you that rubs her the wrong way. You might catch her by surprise. At this point, what do you have to lose?

As far as asking to resign, be sure you aren't going to break contract, etc. and try this before even going there.

4. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

Just to clarify, I'm not going to resign, I'm thinking of asking to be "reassigned" to another grade level.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2011

I think that it is okay to ask to be reassigned to another grade level. I have moved grade levels quite a bit....some by choice, others by need.

Is your principal aware of the tension? Maybe you could have a sit down meeting together with the principal there to mediate. This is not an okay teaching environment for either of you or the students. I hate to involve the principal, but you have tried to talk with her.

Would switching grade levels change anything? You would still be in the same school....Or are you also looking at moving schools?

6. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 16, 2011

The principal is aware of the tension and yes it would be in the same school. We are a small district and while I would have to see her, it would not be on a daily basis. I have no problem with working with her as long as I don't have to be treated the way she treats me. I've tried so hard to be her friend and she clearly doesn't want that.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

I understand what you are going through. I've been considering it myself. I've taught 4th grade for 11 years, but only 3 years at this school. My co-worker moved up this year (several teachers were moved due to losing a K class). I really don't know if I can handle another year with her. She's not outright hostile towards me, she's just making the year miserable (refusing to plan together, going to the principal for everything - laying it all on me, taking advantage of our co-worker, not sharing in the workload, etc). I hate the thought of leaving 4th, I absolutely love the grade, but I've bit my tongue clean through avoiding saying anything to her.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2011

Hugs, Christy: that's a lousy situation to be in.

Hugs for your situation also, AChance.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 16, 2011

Forgive my blurry eyes. I've been on facebook games all day. I'm assuming you mean you want to be reassigned for next year. In my work place we would not be guaranteed to have our request met but my boss wouldn't hold it against us or anything if we asked. People do it all the time for various reasons. What other grade levels would you be willing to teach?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 16, 2011

For five years, I worked with a teacher who created a hostile work environment for my entire grade-level team. Although my principal was aware of the situation (the rest of the team had approached her one-on-one AND as a whole group...minus the problematic teacher). Despite the fact that my principal spoke with the troublesome teacher several times, the situation never really improved. Anyway, things got worse each year, and last year I felt as though I was at the end of my rope.

Long story short, due to a decrease in student enrollment and the adjustment of attendance boundaries, I was the low-man on the senority list and was transferred to a school down the street (same grade level).

My co-workers at my current school have accepted me with open arms and are so easy to work with. I work with a close-knit team and truly believe that this move was the best thing that could've happened to me! :D

Everything happens for a reason... :thumb:

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 17, 2011

It makes such a difference!

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 17, 2011

I think it is fine to ask to be reassigned. You don't have to give your reasons. Just say that you are looking for a new challenge this year and that you feel teaching another grade level will give you a fresh perspective on how children learn. I wish you all the best!

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 17, 2011

I was going to say the same thing. You can say you want to take on the challenge of another grade level-not necessarily for personal reasons (although you might want to be honest in case he thinks of moving her with you ;) ). Many P's look at having the flexibility of seeing what another grade level is like as a good thing. It couldn't hurt to put in a request.

I'm also sorry you're going through this. It stinks in this already stressful job to have to deal with added stress of rude people. You've tried to confront her, the P knows-there's not much else you can do at this point. It's sad that it's just how some people are. I always look at it as me being able to be grateful that I'm not going through life like that-so bitter.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2011

So sorry. I changed schools a couple years ago. I know when I got there the teachers on my grade level were very "suspicious" of me because they didn't care for the principal that had hired me. Things are much better now, but some of them aren't my favorite people.

I can only imagine the situation you are in. I would say getting a fresh start is a good idea. If she dislikes you, for whatever reading, after 3 years - nothing is probably going to change that. And you don't need to negativity.

I started out teaching 2nd and thought I'd teach it forever. I now teach kinder and adore it ever bit as much. You never know until you try something different! Good luck!

15. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 17, 2011

Thank you all for your responses.:):thanks: I actually had a pretty good day today because I never once tried to make polite conversation with her. I just kept to myself. I feel like in my heart the decision is already made to go to my principal and I guess I feel some relief. I know my request might not be met and if not, I will continue to just stay to myself and teach my sweet kiddos. I'm just thankful, as KinderCowgirl stated, that I also am not going through life bitter. Now I will just start trying to find the appropriate time and way in which to approach my principal. I work in such a small school, I believe he really will want to know the truth. I certainly don't want to bash her to him, but I'm afraid he will want to know why I'm asking to leave when he knows how much I have loved teaching 2nd grade.

16. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 18, 2011

Yeah, I agree I would to be reassigned as well.

17. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 20, 2011

ChancetoTeach, I work with people who want nothing to do with me. In my school, there is a group of people from a different culture who are openly hostile to others. They get away with everything - being late to school, not coming to meetings, screaming at kids (even kindergarteners), and talking through the meetings they are in (mostly because they all went to the same college as the principal). Because I want to work with the kids I work with, and because I care about my students and some of my coworkers, I simply ignore these thorns. Ignoring them has done wonders for my job happiness. So, for the rest of the year, I would consider this woman just someone you work with, and ignore her. Don't engage her unless you absolutely have to. And try really hard not to be bothered by her obvious lack of manners and attitude problem. That's her issue -- not yours. If you want to teach another grade, I would ask for the reassignment, but if you like the grade you teach, I'd just continue to ignore her.

I know that sounds passive or whatever, but it's what I've found works best for people who have horrible attitudes...=)