Thinking of a career chance to PE. Unwise move?

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by UpperMidwest, Mar 21, 2017.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

I have degrees in areas outside of education and I am thinking about doing a career chance to be a PE teacher. I realize that it's very hard to get a job as a PE teacher due to market saturation. I would rather not have to move out of state for a job.

But how about a PE teaching degree along with an adapted PE cert (DAPE) or some other certification? Would the market be so bad then? Any other recommendations for credentials? I'm especially interested in hearing from PE teachers who got their jobs within the past 5 years or so. How long did it take you to get a job? What credential(s) did you have? Any suggestions/advice would be great. Thank you!

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 21, 2017

Most of our PE teachers are certified in adaptive and health as well. That may make you a little more desirable. While there aren't a ton of jobs out there, the current state of education in some midwestern states has meant that there are occasional openings.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 21, 2017

It would help if you coached sports as well.

-Coach's wife

UpperMidwest likes this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2017

Most of the PE teachers I know also have endorsements in health and some type of science (especially Anatomy), and can coach.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  6. Committed2DaProfession

Committed2DaProfession Rookie

Mar 29, 2017

I am no expert but PE teachers are not in demand. Why don't you pursue a teaching certification in an area connected to your undergrad degree. What are your degrees?

UpperMidwest likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2017

According to the PE teacher I work with, the job market in that field is ever shrinking unless you can coach a sport. She already teaches health and driver's ed.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2017

I've taught PE for 39 years. I am going to teach one more year. We have 4 elem positions in our county. I currently do two schools. You might have to move. I love my job. You get to work with motivated kids that love being outside. And get the challenge of motivating kids that are afraid to try new things. If you go to a middle school or HS you probably have to coach. Funny thing is I am called coach everyday but do not coach a team. If it is a real passion then chase it. Working in small schools I have also taught reading, math, gifted, computer skills etc part of the day. It is all good.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2017

Most of the admin I have observed, and the ones taking classes to become admin, come from PE. I've had colleagues who noted this. If interested in admin, PE could be great, or you could simply start taking courses in school leadership.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  10. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 24, 2017

That's odd. I wonder why they are wanting to leave PE. Maybe just for more $

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2017

Unless you are getting postgraduate degrees, or coaching sports with a stipend, the pay scale is stagnant. Admin would offer a pay bump. The adapted PE might work, but you will almost certainly be limiting yourself to an even smaller job market. If you are really good, it would probably be worth the graduate study you would need, but I would certainly check out availability before committing to that path.

UpperMidwest likes this.