Thinking Maps Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jan 18, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 18, 2011

Anyone ever attend this training? I went to the first day this week and am totally inspired! I love how it seems like a very simple way to incorporate the visual learners most people are, with critical thinking. I've heard of schools improving test scores when they use them across the board but was very skeptical going in (probably didn't help that it's 3 days I have to miss out of the classroom-I hate to do that), but I'm converted.

I wondered if anyone had experience actually using them and whether they saw those positive outcomes?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2011

We use them, but not in every class. Definitely very helpful for my students labeled with learning disabilities as well as my more visual learners.

I love them in content areas, especially math!

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

I used them so much when I was teaching.....loved, loved, loved them!!

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 18, 2011

I just had students take notes from an article today with a thinking map. Students who don't usually take notes on their own will when I tell them to make a thinking map and let them use the mini-whiteboards. Interestingly, some of the higher performing students don't like the thinking maps and would rather take notes in an outline.

6. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jan 18, 2011

I went to a workshop conducted by Chris Yeager who helped Dr. David Hyerle develop Thinking Maps, and she was an awesome, entertaining, and very, very knowledgeable presenter! My school is a "Thinking Maps school", and we use all 8 maps from kindergarten through grade 6, so there is a lot of common language across the grade levels.

My daughter is doing her student teaching, and she told me she was going to use a Venn Diagram to do a compare and contrast activity. I said, "Oh gosh, who can write ANYTHING in that tiny sliver where the two circles overlap?!" I taught her how to use a double-bubble map to compare and contrast, and she loved it. My second graders are adept in all 8 maps. Can you tell that I'm sold on thinking maps? Highly recommend!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 19, 2011

Are there any good websites about thinking maps? I've never used them because I don't know what they are, exactly.

8. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 19, 2011

Yes, I'd love to see a website, too. It sounds like they are graphic organizers but designed for specific purposes?

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 19, 2011

I just googled it. I think its thinkingmaps.com

10. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 19, 2011

Thanks-- this looks great!

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2011

We use thinking maps in our curriculum and the students love them.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2011

I use it a lot with the kids. It's a great way to organize and capture thoughts.

13. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jan 20, 2011

Do you have to buy them to be able to use them or do they have free downloads somewhere?

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 20, 2011

You would have to partake in the training I think to get the true value of them and it's pretty expensive. If you Google it you can see examples, but I don't think it's the same.

I am just dying to go back tomorrow and get them started. I spend so much time trying to find rigorous activities-and one tool was right there all along, who knew? My kids are going to love them and it's going to help them in making connections and deep thinking so much.

Now I'm going to have to convince my team to use them-that should be interesting! :whistle:

15. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

It is an awesome training!!!!! I've been to the pathways to proficiency and trainers of trainers. Fantastic way to teach and an amazing way for kids to show their thinking. I highly reccomend looking into them. My site is a Thinking Maps school and it is quite unbelievable.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2011

yep - my school uses them from Pre-K on up!