Thinking Ahead-Welcome Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Mar 13, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 13, 2010

I'm going to be looping with my kids next year. Now know I have time, but I'm trying to think of something I can send to them over the summer to do and bring with them on the first day of school. Before Kinder I send them the blank jigsaw puzzle piece and have them decorate it to look like them. I need an idea for something they can do, that's not "get to know you" because we all will pretty much know each other already.

Any ideas?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 13, 2010

Send home a paper lunch bag. Have them decorate it as a remembrance as to a place they visited during the summer. In the bag they place a souvenier of the place. If they don't go anywhere they can... draw the local library and draw a book they read, if they go to the movies draw the theater and draw a picture of the movie, if they visit grandma draw her house and a picture of what they did. Just be sure to give ideas for those who don't go away. This allows all to share when they return to school.
    I looped second to third it has thus far been the highlight of my teaching career.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 15, 2010

Thank you so much Janlee-I really like that idea! :)

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2010

I really like the puzzle piece idea...That gives me thoughts for next year.

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 15, 2010

Janlee - I love this idea!

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2010

Kindercowgirl, I may be looping with my K to 1st too! I'll let you know and we can share ideas!

8. tgim

tgim Habitué

Mar 16, 2010

I looped w/ my kids this year. We did more of a "things I did over the summer" rather than a "getting to know you," too. I love the paper bag idea - y'all are sooo smart and creative!

Somewhere I have a scavenger hunt w/ things like:
    Find a friend who... traveled to another state over the summer, was born in another state, lost a tooth this summer, learned something new (with a blank to fill in what it was), is left/right-handed, has the same number of people in his/her family as you do, has a long vowel in his/her name, has double consonants in his/her name, etc. PM me if you want it and I will send you a copy via email.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 16, 2010

Absolutely, sounds great! :)

10. ginac

ginac Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

I have done the scaavenger

They love it! I try to put something about everyone it in. I knew I had a child that has a Mom who does NOTHING with her and the child NEVER leaves the house. So I had to come up with something clever about her. I found out some things about her bedroom and ask the children to find someone "who has a green rug, pink bedspread and a picture of butterflies in her bedroom"