Thinking ahead to next year (classroom organization)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gr3teacher, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

My school is going to begin renovation in August. At some point during the school year, I will be given twenty-four hours to completely move myself from one classroom to a trailer. At a later point in the year, I'll be given twenty-four hours to move myself back. I'll have notice that the switch is coming, but I won't have extra time to actually move. It'll be a matter of leaving school one day in one classroom, starting the next school day in a different classroom.

Has anyone gone through anything like this? I'm already dreading the idea of having to move all my stuff from one classroom to a temporary classroom, and only having one day to do it. How did you handle classroom organization that year? Obviously I'd have to go "less is more" in terms of decorations, but what about class libraries and everything else? I can't even take unneeded stuff home... there's just no room.

I tend to have very involved parents, so I am reasonably sure I will be able to get help moving stuff (and in a pinch, I have a few former students that I know would help), but I'm just worried about the year in general.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

My tip would be to pack your units as you teach them so you don't have to worry about that I would also pack things by six weeks or nine weeks now so the rest can stay in boxes.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 8, 2014

I would really use this as an opportunity to think through what things are truly necessary in your classroom(increase student achievement) and which things are more "fluff", that have less impact on achievement.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

The big thing I'm worried about is my class library... between books I had when I was little, books that I've received as donations, and books that I bought myself, I have roughly 1000 books in my class library. I think it's probably the biggest strength of my classroom... no matter what student it is, no matter where their reading level is, or what their interests are, they'll find a book they are interested in, and I have enough books that kids can freely take them home and bring them back when they are done. The idea of having to keep a majority of my books in a box all year makes me shudder.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 8, 2014

Why would they have to stay in a box all year? If this is your biggest issue, then I would make it the biggest point with your involved parents. Get them involved to get the classroom library moved and set up for you on the switches. Don't get them involved in the other "stuff", make that the big priority for them.

7. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

Just an idea....
    Would you be able to have your parents come in the morning/early afternoon of the "moving day" and start to move your classroom library before school gets out for the day? They could come in when the students are in a special or at lunch, move the books, and start setting up in the trailer. When school gets out, your library will (at least partially) set up in the trailer, and then you can focus on moving the rest of your things.

You could even ask for parents to volunteer in two groups (one group for the AM shift) and the another group for after school.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 8, 2014

I keep my library books in bins by genre. They are very easy to move bc you just have to pick up the bins.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 8, 2014

I taught year round last year, so I had to totally pack up my classroom every couple months, and then unpack it and set it up again when we came back on track. I have a pretty extensive library as well. I put the library books in baskets. When I had to pack it up, I put the books flat in the baskets, stacked the baskets up, and then put the stack of baskets in the closet. You could do something similar to this and then carry the baskets to the other room.

Moving like that is rough, but if you have advance notice, it can be done. I did it several times last year, though I was just moving next door.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

I didn't realize that year round schools were still around here in CA.