Thinking about switching careers...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by PinkLily, Oct 16, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Oct 16, 2010

This is my ninth year of teaching elementary and although I love teaching and working with the kids, I'm tired of all the after hours work required. I wish that I had a job where I could just come home after work and have the evenings and weekends to myself.

I'm seriously starting to consider switching careers. If you were to leave teaching, what would you do? What career options are available to former teachers?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 16, 2010

Have you considered possibly trying to switch to another career in education, such as being a SLP, principal, or LDTC?

Other than that, try something like Nursing?

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 16, 2010

I haven't even started my career in teaching, but I think if I ever left it I would still do something in the educational environment. I love working in the school atmosphere. You have a lot of options...and not just at the elementary level, but you can even go up to college and work as an admissions counselor, career advisor, financial aide, etc.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 16, 2010

I have been seriously considering being a preschool director. Or you could open up your own tutoring business or get a director's job with tutoring....

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2010

When I finally get tired of getting up at 5, jamming 42 kids into a classroom made for 36, and having 120 essays to grade each time I assign writing, I would like to teach at the university level, probably in a teacher prep program. I might also go back to my old career as a writer, but write light mystery novels instead of television.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2010

I honestly don't know what teachers who want to change careers do next. I hear of a lot more people in other fields wanting to be a teacher. I'm personally switching gears to be an SLP.

I started a thread in the General Ed section that I'm kind of surprised no one commented on, but maybe certain teachers do something like this: :confused:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=122128

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2010

I am also in my 9th year teaching and am in the same boat. If all goes well with BFs new job, I plan on starting my PhD in Fall 2012, fulltime. Now I am just trying to figure out what I want to do and what I want to major in. I have principal certs but I really have no desire to go that route anymore. The only thing I would want to do with an education degree is to teach other teachers. I have thought about SLP but I would probably do it in a private sector if I went that route - the pay is so much better. I am also thinking about doing an American Studies program. I think ultimately designing curriculum for a museum or something like that would be such a cool job.

9. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Oct 17, 2010

This is my first year teaching and I was really surprised by the number of hours after school and on weekends we are expected to commit. I am 26 now and somewhat of a workaholic (time off makes me feel weird), but I can imagine that it's going to wear on me eventually. I don't really mind as long as I am touching lives. I would eventually like to be a clinical psychologist.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2010

I have also thought about switching subjects. I teach English right now and I feel like I have to teach at least 5 different subjects (Writing, reading, literature, grammar, and vocab) and the grading load is so heavy - it takes me several hours over several days to grade just one set of essays. I don't really enjoy my school's very traditional ELA literature curriculum, and I feel like every time the kid's have reading and writing problems, the blame comes back on our shoulders, when really reading and writing our basic skills that everyone should be helping with.

I have thought about Family and Consumer Sciences, but only about half of that curriculum interests me (I think the foods and consumer science parts of it would be really interesting, but the sewing and child care parts are not for me).

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2010

I love school & learning new things. If money was no object & I didn't necessarily NEED to work, I'd go to school & study anthropology!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2010

same here - i always said if I won the lottery, I would just become a lifelong student and get a degree in everything! I would probably start with foreign language.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2010

Yes, that would be fun! School, fun classes such as gourmet cooking, art classes, golf, etc., etc. & travelling around the world would be my main activities if I was wealthy. Then, there would be times I'd jut want to relax & do nothing or shop, shop, shop!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2010

I also love my career. I've felt very strongly it was simply my "destiny" to teach and I've felt that way since I was four and didn't even really understanding teaching...but it all just seemed right and to fall into place. And I feel so at peace in a classroom. There are times, and you better not laugh at me, just being in the classroom, doing nothing of particular significance, feels like a spiritual experience. :angel:

And then, sometimes, I consider my options. Sometimes I don't want a career; I want a job like my husband has. I know this will sound INSANE but in high school and shortly after I worked at a small grocery as a cashier and was in charge of the bread. It paid barely over minimum wage, and then only because of the additional bread responsibilities, but I loved it. I have always very much enjoyed cashiering..the beeps and sweeps of it all...and the schedule was stable (off every Wednesday and Sunday and worked only until noon on Saturday). Nevermind the fact that the smell of fresh bread is amazing. So I sometimes fantasize about going back there and being a manager! :)

Now, my husband's job isn't quite like that...it's a great company, great pay, great benefits. But still, he scans a card at the end of his day and that is that...he's off the clock! I want that. His job is the only reason I even consider my options because I know we could afford for me to make less. Not that either of us want that, and we worry about my retirement and such, but still...

So, anyhow, I feel you... I am not interested in going back to school (I got my bachelor's, master's, and Rank I without a single semester break in between and I think that did it for me and college :haha:), but I am interested in what else I can do with my education. I would love to teach college online courses and have looked into that, but with no success.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2010

I'd prefer a job where when you're done at such & such a time, you're done & that's it. You can go home, have no worries, no "homework", & have a life outside of work. I guess I got into the wrong fields for that (special ed teaching & now SLP)! :)
    My mom & I are continuously searching for work at home opportunities & I've found something that w/ some time & effort, I think I can do well, so I'm definitely praying & hoping for the best. I even recently joined a work at home discussion board.

16. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Oct 17, 2010

Thanks for all your replies. I think that this year is just wearing me down because I switched grade levels. I forgot how hard it is to learn a new curriculum, plan lessons, etc... when you're new to a grade level. I'll probably end up staying in teaching as I make decent money, have great benefits and a pension plan. However, I would definitely be open to changing careers, if the right opportunity presented itself.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2010

Ms. I, yes...it seems some of us are in the wrong profession, huh? :)

My issue is that I thought I would be giving less of my personal time to school as time progressed opposed to more...

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2010

I guess so JustMe! :) Yes, I'd think the longer one's been a teacher, the more they really know their stuff & what they'll do next, etc., so it's not as much personal time devoted to one's career, but I guess times are different for some people.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2010

My problem is that with each passing year I have a better grasp of what my students need...and that seems to involve more planning and additional thought put into everything. Had I stopped learning my first year and simply stuck with what worked that year, I guess I'd be sitting pretty right about now, but I haven't stopped learning and modifying my teaching strategies and lessons, so...the work continues!