Thinking about putting in my resignation letter mid-year?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LittleShakespeare, Jan 31, 2018.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

Jan 31, 2018

I just had a panic attack in the bathroom. I've been vomiting for the past hour, and I think I need some help. I'm only asking for help here because I don't trust anyone at this school.

I'm a new teacher at this urban school. I am the primary teacher in a support classroom, but my co-teacher despises me. She gossips about me like crazy, steals my material to laugh about it with her friends, and tattles on me to my supervisor. I just had my second post-observation meeting with my vice principal. She abhorred my lesson. Apparently, the teacher I am working with made complaints about me being too nice and not rigorous enough. She stole my material and showed it to the VP, who then gave me a terrible score for my unplanned observation.

I have no idea what to do anymore. I thought I was doing well, but I don't think this school is for me. I don't want to come to work tomorrow because all the lessons I made aren't rigorous enough, and I have no idea how to start anew.

I feel like everything I learned was trial by fire. I was doing so well at my old school, the one I was fired from for a terrible mistake on my part. I was a long-term sub there, but my observations were phenomenal and my lesson plans were loved by the principal.

What am I going to do?

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 31, 2018

First of all, you need to take some control of your co-teacher. As a lead teacher, you have the right, maybe even a responsibility, to report any unacceptable behavior performed by your co-teacher. Request a replacement co-teacher (long-term sub).
    From personal experience, if you are having difficulty meeting the school's standards for teachers, discuss the matter with the admin team or the schools "Teacher Improvement Director".
    If this post is not detailed enough or you would like more suggestions, please feel free to tell me.

Oh...and...by the way, that "co-teacher" seems to be a bit of a bully.

BUT....the important thing here is to not give up. Instead, improve the situation for yourself and do not let the "haters" take you down.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  4. LittleShakespeare

Jan 31, 2018

I just found out she's best friends with the VP. I think I might take a personal day tomorrow. I have no idea if I really want to stay here or not.

5. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 31, 2018

Of course. It does not seem to be a positive working environment for all. So, maybe you should consider a different position for next year.......but finish this year strong. Maybe the events that happened were unfortunate and maybe they were a 1 time occurrence. Try to build a positive relationship, but if the co-teacher or principal is not open to that....check out some new teaching jobs.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 31, 2018

I co-teach, but I am definitely not “over” or in charge of my co-teacher. Co- teaching is not the same as having a teacher and an aide. It’s two certified teachers. If your lessons aren’t rigorous enough, can you get ideas for lessons from your team? Ask your VP who in the building would be a good resource for you. It’s their job to help you be successful.

7. LittleShakespeare

Feb 5, 2018

Thanks. To be honest, I'm keeping my mouth shut. Sadly, I've learned so much horror about this profession. If teachers don't like you, they swarm. They talk SO MUCH CRAP about me. Everyone knows who I am even if I've never met them before. Apparently, I'm "too obsessed with literature" and "overly nice". Good lord.

It's a very clique-y kind of school, and in an urban environment, one where I don't belong. I think I will be more comfortable teaching in a different environment. If anything, I'm just lucky I left my old district. I was responsible for 5 preps at $120 a day, constantly made fun of for being Muslim (by the staff), and treated like a child by the principal. I cannot say enough horrific things about my old district. I buried a student because of gang violence, and nobody even cared. Nobody acknowledged him, and they all said he deserved what he got. It was horrible. :(

Now, I am contracted and am treated like a teacher and not a bug, but it is a difficult district. I think I'll wait it out till this year finishes and see if this is really the school for me.

8. LittleShakespeare

Feb 5, 2018

But thanks so much for your feedback, everybody. I'm actually going to meet with the supervisor of humanities tomorrow afternoon. I was encouraged to meet with him to get some ideas on rigor. :O

9. J. A.

J. A. Rookie

Feb 13, 2018

Oh gosh! I recently resigned from a job... my first job... mid-year. My issue was my struggle with management, and the fact that admin always undermined me and refused to help when I asked for it. I am now in a much better environment where I have support and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism as to how I can improve. All I can say is that it is not worth your mental health. I, too, was having anxiety attacks and crying in the bathroom throughout planning and lunch, so it was clear to me that I needed to get myself out of there.

pommom and LittleShakespeare like this.
  10. LittleShakespeare

Feb 16, 2018

I'm just scared. I love teaching. It's what I was born to do, but I fear that if I lose this job, I won't find another. :(

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 19, 2018

This seems a different sentiment than what you posted on your other thread where you would welcome a non-renewal, so you can look for a new job. I believe that your post on this thread is more likely to be the better response, most accurate.