Thinking about Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by New, Oct 4, 2013.

1. New

New Rookie

Oct 4, 2013

Hi all,

I am a certified k-5 teacher. I haven't been able to a land a teaching job since graduating college in 2009. I have been subbing on and off, and just began to consider teaching or working in a preschool/daycare. I see some job postings for infant/toddler/pre-k teachers and assistant teachers.

Since I'm new to all of this should I start out with being an assistant to get the hang of things? I would be really new to the preschool environment and its routines and thought by being an assistant it might help me assimilate.

Also, should I apply for infant teacher/teacher assistant jobs because I don't have any real experience working with babies. I understand that babies are very precious and I would not want to harm them. I think I have changed a couple of diapers in my life. I don't know much about feeding them. Are daycares willing to train or should I avoid this age group?

Any other tips or suggestions would be helpful, I'm really lost as to what to do with myself. :(

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2013

You will need to look at your state's licensing laws to see if you have the qualifications needed. For example, in California, even with a bachelor's degree and an elementary credential there are some classes you have to take specifically to work with preschoolers or infants, although only about 12 units which is pathetic.

Unless you work for a school district, you will take a big pay cut.

Yes, I would work with preschoolers. Working with infants is a passion most people don't have and, imo, boring.

Good luck.

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Oct 4, 2013

If you think you may enjoy working in a preschool environment, go for it but please be aware that it can be very different from teaching K-5 and you should make sure you will enjoy working with the age group before you apply, otherwise you will be miserable. You will also likely be expected to do a great deal of paperwork, especially as a lead teacher, for pay that is often much lower than an elementary teacher.

That said, working with younger children can be a great deal of fun and very rewarding. If you are uncomfortable with babies, I would stick with the older kiddos. Also keep in mind that the toddlers and twos are more mobile and independent, but are still very different from preschoolers and often need a lot of nurturing. The fours would probably be a good choice if you are looking for teaching experience, you will also have the advantage of having an idea of what will be expected of them next year.

Like scmom said, check out what the requirements for working in a center are , you may need to so some extra training to qualify. Good luck!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 4, 2013

Please remember, they aren't little adults....they aren't even little school age kids. They are however......more than you might ever dream possible! Sometimes they are a so much fun in tiny little packages......other times......well......it is only the packaging that is tiny!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 4, 2013

That's right, what Wa said. PS don't learn like older kids do. They learn by experiencing things. So, if you want to teach 1-1 correspondence, you get out toys and match them.

I love the babies. They can learn too. If you don't know what their intellectual abilities are, don't work with them.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

Being an assistant would be a great way to get introduced to the age level, routines, curriculum, and paperwork. I began teaching PS as the lead teacher and wished I had some assistant work in my background. The first year was really tough and I learned a lot. The next year was much better/

8. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Oct 9, 2013

Try volunteering in a childcare center before you make a decision. Many people go into it and find it's not what they thought it would be. Many centers pay minimum wage.