Thinking about obtaining Montessori certification

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by busybee, Feb 26, 2013.

1. busybee

busybee Rookie

Feb 26, 2013

Hello,
    Although this board doesn't seem very active, I am hoping to receive some much needed advice! Previously, I taught for five years in public school teaching Kindergarten and first grade. Then, in 2010 I had my son and have been staying at home to care for him since.

Now I am thinking of going back to teaching starting the 2013/2014 school year. But, I am contemplating the idea of obtaining a certificate in Montessori. Although I am not very familiar with it I really agree with the philosophy and methods of teaching, and I also feel it would be a good fit with my son and his personality. One drawback is the cost. I can't quite figure out if it is something I should proceed with. And, I know I will also need to take the time to go back to school to get certified. Then, what are the chances of getting a position? And, I would need to cover fees for my son's tuition as well. Would it make sense for me to look into?

I think I will schedule some observations with a few Montessori schools in the area. I just wanted to get some feedback from actual Montessori teachers beforehand.

Thanks for reading my story and if you can offer me any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2013

I don't know where you live, but you should look into different schools in your area. Some schools will pay for your training in exchange for teaching for them for a while in addition to your salary, but that's not very common.

As far as whether or not it makes sense for you is whether or not you want to do it. If you want to do it, then you should. Only you can answer that question. I can tell you that it's the only way I'd ever teach, and I've been doing it for over 25 years. There's nothing like it in the world, and what it does for children is amazing.

4. jbaue003

jbaue003 New Member

Mar 8, 2013

I'm already planning to get my certification in the upcoming Fall, so this won't be the most experienced answer. I think I'm going to enjoy it despite the price and the work load, though both will vary depending on the agency the training program is certified with. I've been told by multiple professionals in the field that the demand for Montessori certified teachers larger than the current supply, so job prospects seem good depending on where you live and if you are willing to move.

This particularly applies to AMI certified teachers, AMI being the agency that Maria Montessori herself started. Since some Montessori schools are affiliated with one agency or another, these schools look for teachers with certification from agencies with equal or better recognition as theirs. For example, take the two big agencies in the USA (there are more): AMI and AMS. AMS schools will take teachers certified by AMS or AMI, but AMI will only take teachers certified by AMI, so an AMI certification will open up more prospects, but it is more expensive and a longer program. You just have to weigh your options.

As far as observations go, I'd get as many as you can. In particular, it was suggested to me that one should observe in schools affiliated with various agencies to see if any differences between them strike our attention. This could potentially affect your choice of which agency to get certified from or it may not, but it's best to get as much information as you can. Observation may also give you the opportunity to ask the teacher there a few questions about the method, so you can decide from first hand experience and questioning whether it is right for you. Good luck!