Thinking about looking for new job...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LiterallyLisa, Feb 26, 2015.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Feb 26, 2015

I know the time is approaching where they ask us to sign a new contract. But, I am thinking about looking for a new job next year, in a new county.

Reasons I would stay:
    -I like the S.S. content I teach
    -I don't like to leave things "unfinished" I know things I want to try differently
    -I only have 2 years experience
    -I have a "blemish" on my record, and it took me forever to get hired the first time...fresh out of school
    -SLIGHT, SMALL, possibility I could be teaching only one subject next year (SS teacher is retiring, so I could possible get moved to teaching just social studies and not SS/LA) I WOULD LOVE THAT!
    -new, scary!

Reasons I would go:
    -I always wanted to teach elementary school, not middle school ( I LOVED MY STUDENT TEACHING AND INTERNSHIP EXPERIENCES)
    -I will never feel like my job is "finished" or perfect. So, another year or two I will probably still feel like my job in 6th grade is unfinished.
    -I also don't want to stay in middle school so long that people only see me as a middle school teacher...not a k-6 teacher
    -I don't want to wait until I am older, with kids, to throw myself into elementary, where I feel like I would have to make some MAJOR ADJUSTMENTS and have a new "First year teacher" experience
    -could get a job closer to where I live

I guess I wonder if I should even worry about any of these things. Also, should I share this information with my a.p. and interim p? I also don't want to not sign a contract, and then not get a job elsewhere...sigh. ADVICE? Thanks for reading...

3. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Mar 5, 2015

We got our letters of intent yesterday.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2015

I would seriously consider not telling your p quite yet, but look around and see what is available. If it gets close to signing time and you haven't yet, you may want to consider staying where you are.

I don't mean applying, just looking. Until you start applying it is just an idea in your head, and you don't have to share those with your p.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2015

Are you committed to those letters of intent?

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

Two things jumped out at me as I read.
    1) You love the content you teach and are thrilled by the idea of teaching only one subject (S.S.) yet you also want to move to elementary where you won't ever teach only a single subject and you won't be teaching the content you love, at least not in the way you are now. It will either be very different (communities vs. world history) or much more simplified.
    2) You worry that your 6th grade work will never be "finished or perfect". I am not sure what that means, but I never feel my work is finished until we are out for the summer. Often it never feels finished even then. And it certainly will never be perfect. You will always be looking for ways to tweak lesson and better ways of reaching students. Any teacher worth his or her salt will be forever improving. Moving from middle school to elementary school won't change that. Please free yourself from the idea that your work must always be perfect if indeed this is what you meant. You will burn out quickly that way.

I think you need to ask yourself what you want before you can move forward. Until you make a solid decision and/or contract dates come around admin doesn't need to know a thing.