Thinking about going into guidance/school counseling...thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Anonymousteach, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Sep 30, 2013

Hello! As some of you might know from my previous posts, I'm working on certification in social studies and special education. Once I'm finished my MAT, I'm thinking about getting a master's in school counseling and becoming a guidance counselor. It seems to me that guidance counselors seem to have more flexibility as far as being able to help students with personal matters...I know plenty of teachers who would love to be able to help students out with problems which extend beyond reading, writing, math, but can't because they are strapped down by their teaching duties. I'm well aware that guidance counselors have different pressures than classroom teachers, but it seems like there is more flexibility.

What are you thoughts? Any guidance counselors out there?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2013

Counselors also do a lot of other things, like dealing with scheduling and credit checks. In my district, school counselors (at least at the secondary level) spend a lot more time on these sorts of administrative tasks than on actual counseling and guidance of students. It's the main reason that I don't plan to go into counseling anytime soon and probably never as long as I'm in my current district. The idea of looking at transcripts all day is just about the most boring thing I can think of. Aside from that stuff, I think I'd be great at counseling and guidance.

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 30, 2013

I'm currently in the Masters program for School Counseling. I'm only entering my 3rd class. I'm not sure what level I'm interested in yet though. I love Elementary but sometimes wonder what the world outside of Elementary could be like. I have this fantasy about High School working with students to make it to college... that would be ideal for me.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 1, 2013

That's a long term goal for me as well.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 1, 2013

I think I would also like this but I do not know if I could ever quit teaching for a semester to do the internship/student teaching part.

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 1, 2013

If you have the money and time, go for it. Personally, it's not worth the investment. They laid off lots of counselors over the summer here.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Our counselors have become less of helping students to more of dealing with state testing.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 1, 2013

This.

10. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 1, 2013

Yeah, if I go through with it, I would want to be at the secondary level...I probably would not like the bureaucratic paperwork and whatnot.

11. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 1, 2013

This is a good point. I would absolutely HATE that! But at the same time, isn't that pretty much the case with the entire American education system? Classroom teachers, counselors, and administrators alike all have to deal with standardized testing.

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 1, 2013

Is there any special pathway for teachers to move into school counseling or do you start at square one?

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 2, 2013

Not quite. Classroom teachers are teaching to get kids ready for the test. Counselors are administering the test, in my experience, every day for weeks towards the end of the year. There are also other benchmark tests throughout the year. It's a lot of testing. They are also responsible for training the staff on how to give the test in a way that keeps it standardized. Huge difference in terms of how much time spent engaging with kids.