Thinking about getting a waitress job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stac4742, Jul 8, 2010.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Hello!
    I am enjoying my summer break, but am starting to get a little bored. I was wanting some advice. I am considering waiting tables at a local seafood restaurant near where I live. I would love the extra money and to feel productive. Unfortunately I learned the hard way this summer by not saving my money well enough to be on vacation right now. I wanted to know your thoughts. Is that weird for a teacher to be a waitress. The onle reservations I have is seeing someone I know and feeling a little awkward. Would you all feel awkward?
    Thanks for any thoughts/advice:)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 8, 2010

I know several teachers who work in the summer, and some who work on weekends, too. I don't know of any who waitress, but they work retail jobs. One worked at a department store on weekends, adn she built a great professional wardrobe by using her employee discount and shopping the sales.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

Lots of teachers work a second job in the summer for a variety of reasons like extra money or just plain boredom. We have a few younger, single teachers that work a second job during the school year.

I don't think you have any reason to feel awkward - teachers have worked summer jobs for years. :)

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

I'm a waitress and also teach! I've actually worked at this restaurant since I was 16. I have worked their 10 years and will finally be leaving after this summer! :) The extra money is great! I've payed of 2 out of my 3 student loans VERY early with my extra money! During the school year I work one night a week (Sunday) and then during the summer I work many more hours depending on what is going on. I have been fortunate to have wonderful managers who are willing to allow me to do this!

I say do it! I get bored over the summer as well...it's nice to have something to do!

6. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Thank you all soooo very much for the advice! I actually went on an interview yesterday, and the manager asked, "Are you sure you can handle teaching a doing this job once school starts?" I was really taken back. But I think tomorrow I'm going to call back and let them know I think I can do it. Thanks you all:)
    And myKroom, congratulations on paying off your student loans, that must feel sooooo good!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 8, 2010

Good for you! I'm not saying you feel this way, but no one should feel ashamed or let their pride get in the way of making more money. A person should do what they have to do to make a living...legitimately of course!

8. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks so much Ms. I. I was actually feeling a little ashamed. I waited tables all through college but now that I have a professional career, I was starting to feel a little ashamed. But thanks so very much for your encouraging words!!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2010

No problem! Plus, no one owes anyone any explanation as to why they're working the jobs they're working, whether it be to make ends meet or have some fun spending money! :thumb: