Thinking about buying a new cell phone...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 2, 2008

Does anyone have the Samsung Blackjack 2? So far it looks like the one I might buy. I'm looking for a phone that I can use as my planner too. I like having an alarm set (to a sound I choose :lol:) at a certain time to remind me it's time to go somewhere (like P.E!) if I'm busy.

Does anyone have a phone with a good planner/calendar option that they love?

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Bought the BlackJack 1 first day it came out and it was okay for its time. After that I bought the first iphone, then the iPhone 3G. I think the iphone is a much better device, and its app store is just blow anything away. Even google G1 isn't up to par with the iphone. However if you don't need a lot of features, the backjack is good too. I just really hate carrying around my ipod. With the iphone I have 16GB of storage so I carry the music I listen to the most around; and leave the rest in my ipod. Just a thought.

4. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 2, 2008

I will second the Iphone.. its the best phone I'ver ever bought

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2008

I also have the iPhone and love it. But to the 2 posters above, is your fetch mail working properly. After updating to 2.1 mine doesn't work any more.

6. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

Emma this happened to some people too; to fix this, people did a hard restore. This means that you basically erase everything and restore it to factory settings. The phone will look like the first day you bought it, but only with the new firmware version 2.1. After that, you go and you restore all your applications and songs. This helped a lot of people so you might wanna try it during the weekend when you have time =)

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 2, 2008

I just got back from looking at phones in person. I like the Sony Ericson w760a and the T-Mobile Shadow...

Right now I'm with AT & T but may switch to T-Mobile since my contract is up anyways.... I want a phone that has the cool features without having to pay the data plan.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 2, 2008

I'm having trouble picking a phone. I'm a tad picky. I want all the features I want darn it!

Touch Screen: I want iphone-like iconic buttons and the ability to swipe my finger across the screen to scroll through pages of widgets I downloaded. Finger only, the stylus will not do.

Text Keyboard: I want a PHYSICAL keyboard. This is where the iphone is lacking for me. Even the Google phone's physical keyboard is too FLAT. I like the sidekick in this area. Typically, but not always, blackberry does pretty well too.

Screen Size: I like a big screen. Don't give me a small wimpy phone.

Camera: I never carry one so if it doesn't come on my phone, I'll never take pictures of my kids. 2.0 (preferably higher) or more MP is a must.

Optimal Webpage: I want to see all of the webpage, not just my stupid phone's version of it. I want to slide around and zoom in if I wish.

Phone: I prefer T-3 or higher hearing aid compatibility but let's face it...I'll likely just get the text/data plan only anyways.

Operating System: I don't like windows mobile. Whatever system I do use, I want my phone company to allow me to make some downloads that are not part of their limited store.

AIM (and other IM): Not only is this an absolute must but it MUST come with a VIBRATE mode.

Vibrate: It should be standard but sometimes it isn't.

Business Software: I prefer them but it isn't on my must have list anymore. I do want to be able to read all my attachments though.

Email Sync: I prefer the company to have their own email addy and also sync all of my current ones. I like having a separate pager addy. I also want to be able to get my work's email which so far seems most compatible with Blackberrys.

9. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2008

cutNglue you may just have to design and market one yourself with all those features!

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 2, 2008

I took home a comparison chart so it's another handy way to compare phones.

11. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 2, 2008

cutnglue, it's the blackberry Bold or Storm. It has what you're looking for.

12. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 2, 2008

actually I think the Iphone has about all of what you're looking for? And the Iphone has an actual keyboard.. its just in the phone?

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 2, 2008

Nope, it has a VIRTUAL keyboard. It doesn't have a physical keyboard.

14. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 3, 2008

and the problem is? its still a full keyboard.. lol

15. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

he basically wants tactile feedback when he types so he wants a physical keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2008

I type about 50-60wpm on a thumb keyboard without looking. So I type all kinds of messages while multi-tasking (talking to my kiddo for example or walking down the hall, etc). In order to do that, I have to be able to feel the keys. Because I don't hear really well on the phone and have a lot of deaf co-workers, I opt for a data only plan. I'm a heavy text user.