Think I'll get a job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureiowateach, Jun 26, 2009.

1. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

So... a little background information: I started college right out of High School with the intent of becoming and Elem. teacher. Decided that wasn't for me so I left and finished a nursing degree at another college (I'm an RN). I've decided that I love nursing but that teaching is where I am called to and have since started the process over except I'm now doing secondary education. So this is my currently dilemma. If I go for 2 years I will leave endorsed in 5-12 U.S. History and Government, if I go 2 1/2 years (including one summer term) I will leave endorsed 5-12 History, Government and K-12 Special Education. But, if I go for 3 years, I will leave endorsed in 5-12 U.S. History, Government, Psychology and K-12 Special Education and I'll be able to move forward with an internship in D.C.
    My question is, is it worth it to go the extra year? And do you think that I'll get a job when I get out?
    Personally, I think a teacher endorsed K-12 Special Ed, 5-12 U.S. History, Government and Psychology and having personal experience working with the Government and Politics as well as being an RN would make me very marketable. But I still don't know...

What do you think? :):confused:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 26, 2009

As an RN , do you not want to teach nursing at a college? They are in so need of nursing teachers.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I don't know about Iowa, but SS positions are very hard to come by in my state. Our last job posting was for a part-time teacher, no benefits and no time accrued for tenure and we received about 400 resumes. If I were you, I would check with your Dept of Ed concerning number of SS positions available, check with recent Secondary SS grads to see what the job market is really like (I would not trust what your college professors will tell you about the job market), and contact your local high school to speak with the SS teachers currently teaching in the field.

Also, I agree with Peggy - why not look into teaching nursing??

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

Social studies jobs are the least in demand, so you might want to do whatever you can to be marketable.

BUT check the requirements in your state. In my state, once you have gotten a degree in one subject in education, you can teach any other subject by simply passing the PRAXIS II for that subject. So I went to school for English Education, but I could teach math, health, gym, French, special ed., biology, whatever, as long as I can pass the PRAXIS II. In fact, I DID get my special ed. cert that way, and I never took a special ed. class. Pennsylvania is the same way for most subjects, but not special ed. Something to check on before you put time and money into the classes. (You can always go back and take the class while you are teaching.)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Do you have enough biology credits to pick up some soert of a science endorsement?? IF there's any way you can teach Chem or Physics, the odds are very, very good for employment.