Think I just blew potential interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

Just got a call for a job I really wanted and had hoped they would call. I applied with them almost a month ago and had really given up on hearing anything. However, they only are doing interviews next Wed and Friday. Of course, we leave tomorrow for Hawaii and don't return until the 15th. :( The lady who called me was very nice saying she would gladly ask the interview committee if they'd agree to see me as soon as I get back, but I've never heard back from her again. So I assume they said no and will now just move on to the next person. Ugh!!! I'm very bummed. I really wanted this job and was very qualified for it. :(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  3. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

Can't ask for a phone interview from hawaii?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2013

Oh, man! I would be terribly upset so big hugs to you! But, I think UCLA has a great suggestion. I would contact them immediately, express how interested you are in the position, and that you'd very much appreciate a distance interview.

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

It didn't sound like that was an option, but I did offer to interview with them via phone if needed until I could get back. The secretary (or I assume that was who it was since she said she had no power to schedule candidates for days other than what she offered me) said she'd be glad to pass that along to the committee and to let them know when I'd be back to see if they were willing to still interview me. Not holding out much hope though as it sounded like they had set two days aside and that was it. :down:

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 4, 2013

Call back and offer to do one via Skype if they will permit it. Sometimes people don't think of that as an option and it wouldn't hurt to try. It would at least let them know you are sincerely interested.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

I thought of that too. Unfortunately, I don't have a call back number since the lady hung up before I could ask for one. The number came up as "private" on my caller ID and is blocked out from me being able to call it back. Believe me, if I could call her back and offer Skype I would. My husband works out of the country a lot, so we Skype or FaceTime all the time. I'm guessing they just don't want the hassle of trying to get a time when it would work for them with the time difference or they just aren't interested since I couldn't fit within the parameters they had in mind.

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

Can you find her name on the website?

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

Not sure on that one, teachart. I can only assume it was a secretary. For all I know it could have been someone else on the search committee who couldn't speak for the whole group without asking first or whom it really was to be honest or it could be another member of admin who made the call. She just said her first name when she introduced herself. I did look at their website and no one on office staff has the name the lady gave me. do feel as if the number was blocked, then they didn't want it coming up on my caller ID so I am a bit hesitant to go trying to find someone's name etc....I am not sure if they'd see that as really overstepping the boundaries or not.

10. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2013

If you feel comfortable, I might send an e-mail to someone to state my enthusiasm about the job and offer a skype interview. Good luck!

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2013

I think it's worth a shot to e-mail someone. The number for the school should also be displayed on their website. Worse case scenario, they say no and you're back to the same place you are now. You don't really have anything to lose!

I had a school call me for an interview last week when I was going to be out of town. I was only gone for one day and was available throughout the day to do phone interviews...I called back and said I was available any other day or for a phone interview, and they wouldn't let me schedule anything else. I figure they must not have been that excited about me if they couldn't work out any other day or the phone interview. On the other hand, I did the same thing with another school that wanted an interview on that same day I was out of town. I did the phone interview and I got the job! It's worth a shot.

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 4, 2013

:2up: WOO HOO....they just called me back!!!! :2up: