Think Big!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

So sometimes I think too big within the classroom. And then it just ends up working out. I'm hoping this is one of those times.

As some of you know, I just got back from space camp. In order to go to advanced space camp, you have to put together a big project application showing how you used what you learned at the original camp, ect. So my idea was to reproduce the mission launch we did at camp within the classroom. This will be really huge. I have to figure out how to create a mission control room, with screen that show what's going on in the shuttle and the space station, I have to create a shuttle board with a 100 little switches for the kids to flick, I have to create a space station with experiments, etc. But I reeeeeeeally want to go to advanced. Our whole team is working to get back together-we're even having a reunion at the Aires test launch next spring in FL. But I digress.

I can't imagine my kids doing this mission in anything other than real flight suits. I got one at camp and they rock. You actually feel like an astronaut in them. But they were $80 a piece at the camp, and I can't buy 20 of them at that price. So I started to search around today and couldn't find anything either. I finally e-mailed some mechanics jumpsuit website and asked them if they had any teeny-weeny suits that might fit kids. The prez wrote me back and said no, but he would love to design one. And he would sell them for $25!! That's AMAZING! And I would get to design them, which is REALLY amazing, because then I can put all the cool little pockets and things on them. I'll post the link when they are done. I'm racking my brains, trying to figure out how I can funding for this. In reality, it's 'only' $500 for my 20 kids, which isn't a lot for re-usable space suits. And then I can put in my advance application that I designed space suits for kids to use in the project!!

Anyhow, think big, send out random e-mails and you never know what will happen!!

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

Sounds AMAZING, Jem! Go for it!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

Are you afraid even a bit that all of this might be a little distracting for the kiddos?

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

No. I ground all my units in our standards and benchmarks, planning all activities around essential understanding.

The assessment of the mission launch will test all of the information we've learned in class, as I will throw 'anomalies' at them (out of the ordinary situations), and they will have to fix them. For example, we will be learning about the insulation on the space shuttle, and how air pockets and a superficial layer of metal designed to melt away protect the astronauts inside. During the mission, their insulation will become damaged, and they will have to use information from that lesson to repair it.

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

WOW! That's so cool. Could you get a grant for the funding???

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

What about DonorsChoose.org?

8. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 7, 2008

That is an amazing idea!! You can do it!! Keep us in the loop.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

All I can say is WOW! How do I get to be a teacher like you? Heck, how do I get to be a student in your class?

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

How cool!

11. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Your students are very lucky indeed! I hope you never get so busy that you can't share with us. I'm learning so much!!

12. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 8, 2008

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Contact a local bank (or two) and ask if they might have something for you by way of a grant. Walmart and/or Target also have opportunities for educators to get grants. Good luck and congrats on what seems to be a sensational activity!

14. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Jem, you are awesome. I am so thankful for teachers like you and this forum. All together you challenge (in a good way) to be a better teacher.
    Go for the grant thing definitely, and we have had banks give $500. donations for special projects so those are good ideas. But one way we raise alot of money is an auction. Perhaps you/your school will back up your plans with incorporating something like this to fund your curriculum/supplies/uniforms, etc. I can give more specific ideas if you need them.
    Good Luck

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

Can you or the kids write letters to local businesses asking for their support? Sometimes those businesses that are strictly local will help out. Go to the parents, ask them for support, ask them to ask their work. What about involving the local paper, talking to them about your project and how you need funding for it?

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

Oh my gosh-the bank!! I never thought of that! I love my bank, the manager and I have worked on school stuff before. I work at a private school now (no donorschoose-boo), so I'm not sure if they could still do it, but I'll call about it today!! Thanks, guys-I'll keep you posted! HOORAY!