Things you wish your director had done / told you before school started...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MsWK, Aug 26, 2008.

1. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

Can you think of anything? I try really hard to give my teachers a lot of really practical information, but I'm sure I always forget something.

3. imat

imat Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

This year I created a calander of the important dates that the staff needed to remember. Staff Meeting, Parent Confrences, when assessments were do, ECERS, parent surveys, PAC meeting and staff development dates. The staff really appreciateed it because they knew in advance when things would be do. They said it will help them not be so overwhelemed, it would give them a chance to plan.

Head Teacher

4. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I wish my director had given me a copy of the learning standards for my class when I first started work. Instead, she gave it to me a month into the job, and the day after I sent a letter out to the parents explaining what their child would be learning my class. The letter to the parents was based on what I thought they should be learning, not what the school wants them to learn. So, it is missing some things I didn't know about (plus has a ton of extras).

5. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Aug 26, 2008

I agree w/ the pp on the calendar - our director indicates the days of all of our specials (gym & chapel), which is really helpful.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I have yet to find out when my specials and lunch break will be for this school year, which means I can't really plan out my schedule. I would prefer to have it laminated and posted on the first day of school for parents but it looks like I won't be able to do that.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

How to handle the parent requests that you KNOW are off the wall... ie, do you want the teachers to handle it, or would you rather they just refer them straight to you?

Same for parents asking to swap/add/subtract days (I had lots of 2- or 3-day kids the last two years, and the parents were constantly wanting to switch them... or the old "since you're closed on Monday, can my kid come ___ instead?" issues)... what's the protocol? Do they check their numbers and OK it, do they not say anything and refer to you? Do they just say point-blank no?

Knowing as far in advance as possible when people come for licensing, health department, or other inspections, so they can make sure proper stuff has been done ... we were constantly getting told "oh, DCFS is coming tomorrow, make sure everything is clean," whereas they KNEW several weeks in advance and could have let us know so we had time to clean stuff more than just superficially.

Do they turn lesson plans in? How far in advance?

Playground time... does each class have an assigned time, or do the teachers choose? Is there a limit to how long they can be out at a time? This was a HUGE issue (it didn't have to be, but it was made into one...) that could have been avoided if my principal/director was doing her job and communicating effectively.

Protocol for swapping breaks/schedules...

Just some stuff off the top of my head that you probably already covered ;)