Things you overhear students say!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissFroggy, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2008

OMG! My kids said something that shocked me today!

We have some morning work and then for a few minutes they have "choices." Some my girls were sitting around a table and drawing. I heard one say to another, "If Miss Froggy lost weight I think she would be able to get married." And another said, "She should get as thin as your mom So and So, because she just go married."

I just about died!!!!! Where do 6 year olds hear this and are children already engrained at 6 to have these kinds of stereotypes and conceptions about marriage, dating, etc?

The irony is I have just lost 40 lbs since last spring! I have some more to go, but more or less am looking and feeling A TON better! I haven't weighed this amount since grad school!

I sort of felt like I should have a "people come in all shapes, sizes and colors" discussion but did not... now I need to think about when and how to have that conversation.

3. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 14, 2008

that is interesting. On the other hand, high school kids feel like they should share their opinoins with everyone. Why whisper? I've been asked would I marry a 'mexican' (they really mean hispanic, but in Texas they think anybody who speaks Spanish is Mexican), since I can speak Spanish but am not hispanic. Do I go to the club? Do I drink? Do I live alone? Do I have a boyfriend/ husband? How old am I? When did I graduate high school? "You should wear some pink. You always wear something black" "You should wear contacts. You always wear glasses" I hear it all and generally laugh it off or turn it around on them. A good time is had by all.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 14, 2008

I've heard, "_______ is probably going "Ehhh... ya right, you're crazy." However, I haven't heard anything about my lack of being married or not having kids this year. Thankfully. However, last year a student told me I didn't have to be married to have children. That was bordering along the lines of dreadful... I was turning quite red when she said that.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2008

MissFroggy, that's sad but unfortunately doesn't surprise me. Yes, children even just in kindergarten are taught this mindset. I think a leading problem is mothers not being able to turn off the I'm-so-fat-I-better-go-on-a-diet talk around their children, thus giving them clear messages. If they hear or overhear their mother ask the mirror, even if only once, "Who's gonna marry this fat hog?" the kids have all the information they need. Of course, what deepens the problem is when the mother isn't even fat.

There doesn't seem to be many who can pull off teaching their children a healthy lifestyle without also feeding them stereotypes and ego-depleting image issues.

I would try to find a book on this topic (image/differences/kindness) and share that with the students as soon as possible.

On a happier note, congratulations on the weight loss. I wish I could say the same for myself, but I'm struggling terribly. But anyhow...

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 14, 2008

I get asked my age all the time and since I am only 21 I do not want them going home and making their parent or gardiuan thinking I am not capable of subbing cuz I am young. I tell them its rude to ask how old someone is. They have also asked me am I married or If I have kids. I just answer no. Whats funny is I had a Kinder student one time who said then how can you be a teacher. They were convinced(by who idk) that you could not teach unless you were married and a mom. lol

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 14, 2008

Man, I'm so sorry, Miss Froggy! Even though it's kids, it's still hard to hear something like that. I always wonder what flaws they notice-coffee breath? Pants that are too tight one day? Bad hair day? I know they watch me like a hawk-they fawn over good outfits and tell me how pretty I am-it's only a matter of time until they say something opposite. I've also gotten a lot of baby questions, but mostly because our gym teacher's wife is pregnant, as is one of our student's mothers. The kids have babies on the brain. They are always asking when I'm going to have one. I can imagine it would be the same if I weren't married. They met my husband at open house and talk about him all the time, so I'm sure it would be the same way with a significant other I wasn't married to, only they would be asking about when we were going to get married.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2008

My preschoolers looove to plan my wedding (and I haven't even told them that I'm getting married- they just know I'm not married, so it must happen eventually...)

One day, they were drawing pictures of what my dress should look like, and started arguing about my hair and jewelry. They got on the topic of earrings, and I mentioned that my ears aren't pierced. They all looked up with looks of horror, huddled up and began whispering.

Their final decision?

"You're just going to have to pierce your ears. You can't get married without earrings!!"

;) ;) ;)

9. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Ha ha ha - this year my grade 12 girls wanted to know how, when, and with whom I lost my virginity ... in the middle of a lesson that had nothing to do with that subject whatsoever.

10. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 15, 2008

AM I married? They love my boots? Can I sponsor their senior dinner? Where I bought my clothes, jewelry, boots? Can I buy them one? Can I aid them with their lunch money cause their allowances are low? How old are you? Do you have a man? Is he cute? Is he black or hispanic?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

I overheard some freshmen boys talking yesterday in the hallway before school.

One, who I love dearly, was kidding around, proclaiming, "Yeah, Obama! Black Power baby!" (The debate tonight is pretty much in our back yard; I imagine that's what got 14 year old boys talking "politics.")

My response was to mimic writing a detention slip and saying "Yeah, teacher power! Time to get to homeroom guys."

That's all I need: a riot outside my classroom!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

Ug, I have been asked that too. Weirdos.

This reminds me of my little sister. I might have already shared this on here, but she is 8 and she asked my mom the other day if my BF and I were getting married. Mom said, I don't know, I hope so, I like him. And she said "Me too, but they better not get married when I am 8 because that is too young to be an aunt. They better wait until my birthday." (Apparently 9 is a much better age to be an aunt.)

I guess there is a girl in her class who's mom is pregnant and she just got married and will have the baby 7 months after the wedding, so all the kids now think that it takes 7 months to have a baby and you automatically have it right after you get married.

13. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

Well I just wanted to say congrats on losing all that weight I am just starting my struggle to lose a bunch!!! ( well starting for the millionth time haha) I had a kindergartner ask me last week why I was fat then she told me it was ok her mom was fat too so she still loves me !!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2008

Possibly the weirdest thing about Sheba being asked the how-when-with-whom question by those twelfth-grade girls is that our Sheba's a guy - !

15. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 15, 2008

Don't give it a second thought.Children repeat what they hear and at that age, have little tact in what they say.This is a great opportunity to do some lessons on put-downs,stereotyping and that sometimes words can hurt someone as much as physical actions.
    A couple of years ago a younger sister of of one of my fifth grade students approached me at dismissal and told me that I am very nice and if I wasn't so old(I was40)She would have liked me to marry her mother and be her daddy.In a way this was too bad, as her mother,about 32 years old, was gorgeous and single.However,it was probably a good thing I was too old, as I am not too sure my wife would have liked the idea.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2008

So. . . you tell 'em you haven't lost it yet? :D

17. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Oct 15, 2008

I subbed in a third grade class in May right before the Sex and the City movie came out. I overheard one girl asking another if she was going to see the movie. Apparently, this child was super excited about seeing it and had this plan to dress up to see the movie. I'm still in my 20's and the kids still surprise me from time to time. Do they really change that fast?

18. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 15, 2008

we were doing a prior knowledge lesson the other day with the book No! David and when i got to the page of david running naked down the street one girl said, "thank god he wasn't turned around." no one heard her but me and one other student, so i just looked at her furrowed my brow and shook my head. she got the hint.

it's one thing to think it, but it's a whole other story when you say it out loud. sheesh.

LC

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2008

Alice,
    At least 14 year olds have *some* clue what politics are about.

My preschoolers have been *debating* so much we had to make a "no politics during art time" rule ;)

I'm not sure which is my favorite,
    the boy who thought that Obama was a movie star
    or the boy who said that "Obama's trying to be the boss of everything. Like, all of New Mexico!"

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 15, 2008

:lol::spitwater::rofl:

I have had student do everything from badger me about my age to try to set me up with their older brother, but this would be a real first-students planning my hypothetical wedding! What a hoot!

21. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Oct 15, 2008

This is teaching EFL. I told them 'no comment' and then one of them announced 'Teachah, you can tell me! I know all things bedroom. All things!' she said, making a great big circle with her hands.

My grade 12s this year haven't been the smartest year I've ever taught and certainly not the best behaved, but I think they have been the most fun year I've ever had. I'll definitely miss them.

22. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Yeah, I should try that next time. I wonder if they'd believe it or not (I'm 35).

In that same class, when discussing relationships, a student once asked me 'Tell us a beach story'. Obviously confused, I said 'Beach story - that's not a term English-speakers use; yeongo-mal upsaeyo [not in the English language]'.

Then later it occured to me that she must have meant 'b i t c h story'. Hmmm... where did she learn that from and what does she think it means? I don't really care to inquire.

23. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 15, 2008

That's how I approach it. This is my first year teaching so it's all new to me and sometimes I enjoy the verbal engagement. They aren't the best behaved kids or the smartest but I REALLY like them and I'll miss them when they leave.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

What is EFL?

25. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2008

English as a Foreign Language, I assume. Sheba, if I recognize my hangul at all, teaches in Korea. They likely enjoy his class a great deal, as I imagine he's likely different in style from a lot of Korean teachers.

26. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Oct 16, 2008

"You could be a model if you just got surgery on your big ears"
    :lol:

27. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

Last year I had a parent of a student ask me "How old are you?" (I'm 24) and "How many kids do you have?" (none) Not do you have any kids, just assumed I had kids of my own! That's what bothers me. On another note... Today, I had a student tell me I looked beautiful with my glasses on. It made my day!

28. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

I didn't overhear this but it was said to me today...I had to call her mother because she had on flip flops which aren't allowed at our school.

Me: What is your mother's work phone number.

KM: I don't know.

Me: It says here (information form) she works at such and such bank.

KM: Oh no, she got fired from there.

Me: Thank you for sharing. :rolleyes:

Don't you know her mother would just love her sharing that info?

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2008

Slightly off topic:

Last year, I had a 6th grade study hall twice a week. I reallly got a kick out of the younger kids.

Yesterday I was walking across the courtyard between periods, and came across James, one of the kids from the class. He stopped me and said:

"Stop! Hey, wait Mrs. A. I heard you had an operation on your leg or something. Are you OK??"

"Yes, James, I'm fine. Thanks for asking."

"But what happened? What did they do?"

"Actually James, it was my breast, and they operated on it. But I'm fine and you had better get to class so you're not late."

-- I'm pretty sure that had he known I was going to say "breast" he would have tried desperately to avoid me :)

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2008

Funny!

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 17, 2008

Touching that he was concerned about you though.

32. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Lets see.....My favorite was when I was 20 and subbing in middle school....I had a 7th grader grab me in the hall on the way out the door and try to drag me to his friend saying "here!!! I found someone for you!!! She's actually shorter than you!!!" He felt bad when he realized that I wasn't a student!

One of the 6th grade girls was talking about (or to i don't know) one of the male teachers...said he wears "high pants" and needs to trim his nose hairs lol we all laughed about it when he told us :)

I had one ask me this morning "was that the smallest they had when you bought it????" talking about my hoodie (it's dress down day and the hoodie is school colors). I told him no i always buy them big because a lot of times they shrink (this one didn't). He just looked at me and said "it's HUGE!" I guess that made me feel good...

33. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I got this last week while they were working on some science stuff:

Me: L, please get to work.

A: L, why don't you you your work? Don't you like Mrs. Chevygirl?! I love her so I do all of my work!!

S: Yeah, L!! Geez! She's so pretty and likes football and you should listen to her!!

L: I don't like her. I hate her. She's so mean!

A and S: WHAT?!? Mrs. Chevygirl, L doesn't like you!!!

We had to have a whole class discussion about how it's ok if you don't like your teacher but you have to respect him/her and do your work. The other 20 kids were completely horrified with L's comments. I actually thought it was kinda funny.

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2008

Did L ever get to work?

35. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Oct 19, 2008

I had one third grader ask how old I was; when I told her, her eyes practically popped out of her head and she said, "Wow! You're older than my Grandma!"

Sweet child.