Things you don't want to hear

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 31, 2011

Are there things that neighboring teachers say to you in the morning that just make your blood run cold?

Things like:

• Oh! You're subbing in that class...well...good luck!
    • Whenever that teacher has a sub, she leaves terrible instructions.
    • We've had trouble with this group since they were in kindergarten (now they're in second)
    • Be strict from the first minute. Their regular teacher doesn't have much control over the class.

Seriously....these are actually things that were said to me by coworkers of the teachers for whom I'm subbing! Sometimes it tells me a lot about the work environment. Other times it makes me worry about the day in front of me! What types of things do people say to you?

3. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Jan 31, 2011

Any time a principal makes a big deal about letting me know if I need them. If they say it once in a friendly way, it doesn't set off any warning signals. But I get antsy if I hear, "This is my extension. Call me if you need anything! I can be there quickly. Do you also have the vice-principal's extension in case you can't reach me?"

Also, if a teacher tells me, "And if _______ or ______ gives you any problems, send them straight to my room!"

It's not so bad, but I've learned that any class described as "social" means they never shut up.

I've also had teachers say, "Oh... the last time they had a sub..." with some horror story that follows.

But I never get too scared. Many "warning signals" turn out to be false alarms for me.

LOL, one I forgot:

In any special ed class, a child described as a "runner" should never be more than 4 feet from you.:lol:

4. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

"Looks like today is your day to do both recess and lunch duty today. So sorry!"

:|

At 8AM, I can already kiss lunch, a mental break, and at least two bathroom breaks goodbye for the day. And of course, it's also on days I'm in for Kindergarten... with a teacher who knows exactly what day to plan for those family dentist appointments!

5. Vince

Vince Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

How can they give you duty at lunch and recess? By law they are required to give you breaks and lunch.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

I always knew I was in trouble when the sub coordinator would call me and immediately say, "I'm sorry I have to give you this one. I owe you." It was never THAT bad, but usually required Excedrin at lunch and a Manhattan at dinner.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

I've only been "warned" about one class by fellow teachers - and they were RIGHT! There were 4 boys in this middle school class. Two were the leaders and two were the followers. One of the leaders had absolutely NO respect for anything and no reaction to any kind of consequences. He was going to do what he wanted to do, no matter what. The others would often feed off his lead. It was definitely one of the most challenging classes I ever had. I did feel better when the veteran teachers told me they ALL had trouble controlling that particular group. They finally sent the two leaders to our "alternative" school and placed the two followers in separate classes.

I subbed at the alternative school several times during my first year as a sub. For the most part, I never had a problem with the students or a class, although I also didn't get much work out of them many times. Out of all the times I subbed for them, I only had one incident where I could NOT get one of the kids under control when he was disrupting the class. The P happened to come by the room (knowing the potential this kid had) and removed him from the room. After that it was fairly smooth sailing.

Oh, the P there DID tell me something I've never heard at any other school...

"You'll actually have a free period during 2nd block because all 4 girls in that class have court dates today." :eek:

8. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Feb 9, 2011

I DO get breaks, which includes their 30/60 minute special, and my own lunch, which is part of their lunch and after-lunch recess. The teachers that get both lunch and recess duty in one day are K-1st grade, b/c those age groups have TWO recesses a day. (So do 2nd graders, but their teachers are somehow able to avoid making each other do both duties on the same days.)

Lunch duty lasts for about 25 minutes of our usual 50 minute lunch period. That's fine, until it takes an extra 5 minutes for the recess associates to come and get the students from the lunchroom, and another 5 minutes to tidy up the lunchroom and then a few more to get my own lunch ready. That leaves less than 15 minutes to eat, nay, about 10, in the event I'm getting a BR break somehow!

9. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Feb 9, 2011

I sub a lot in my district, so I know the kids by name and the teachers, too. The one I LOVE to hear is, "Oh, so-and-so (a student that can be quite a handful when off his routine) has been out all week, and today is his first day back. Good luck! You know where we are."
    Usually, I just get, "Who are you today?" and sometimes a look that follows my answer, or "have fun today. You have recess duty and its -5 out there!" (legally in our district, with wind chill, -10 is our indoor recess cut-off). I make sure my boots and snowpants are in my car all winter for school!

10. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 10, 2011

You may me laugh on the "runner" comment. Many times comments other teachers make are over exagerations, but you are so right, if someone says a child is a runner, that is rarely an exageration.

You always have to have your track shoes on, especially in the halls. :haha:

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

The one I remember is...
    'You'll need like a spray can of ritalin because that is a busy class."!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! LOL!!!

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 10, 2011

As an ex sub myself all of these make me irritated. Now, as a regular teacher they STILL make me angry when I hear people say these things to a sub. For example, I've been out due to a horrific flu. My coworker/FRIEND tells me today "we told the class 'uh oh' when we heard he was in your room" My response? "Oh that's nice give him a negative feeling before he enters my room. That really helps me out." WHY even say that crap to people?!?!? grrrr SOOO sorry it happens to you!

13. Vince

Vince Rookie

Feb 11, 2011

I actually like to be warned, most importantly about problem students who I need to keep an eye on.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 11, 2011

"I need you for PE today"

I hated PE back when, and I hate PE today. My first-ever sub job was in PE, and I was in heels :)