Things they should have taught you before they let you teach:

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Aliceacc, May 12, 2006.

1. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

I too am a little late posting to this thread, but there is one valuable lesson that I wish I would have learned early on...

...Think twice about doing a craft made of pipe cleaners and beads with 3yr olds, no matter how entertained they are.

...How to remove "foreign objects" from the different openings in the human body. (Such as a bead up the nose!)

...ALWAYS keep a pair of tweezers and a flashlight handy!

2. Gollan

Gollan Rookie

Jun 10, 2006

Use waterless hand cleanser to remove chalk from your hands at the end of the lesson.

Be careful what you touch with chalk covered hands :eek:.

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 10, 2006

Exactly! My coworkers laugh at my tool box, but let me tell you, they don't hesitate to send a child with a note saying "I need to borrow a hammer/screw driver/ pliers, etc. :p
    I also keep a change of clothes up there and a "me" box with toiletries, and basic make-up.

The next best thing I have in my classroom is a step ladder. It's a pain to store, but I never have to hunt down the custodian to have him/her find the school's. I just open it up do what I need to do.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 10, 2006

Never let the students borrow your pens or pencils or touch anything on your desk. I also got in the habit of making my white board off limits and it is worthwhile.

5. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 11, 2006

RE: They should have taught you...

~~To include in your "me" box, a bottle of VISINE for those mornings when you'd rather be in bed.;)

~~That having overhead marker on the bottom of your hands is a SURE FIRE hint that you are a teacher. I kid you not, I went to a local grocery store and was asked if I was a teacher. I wasn't wearing my name badge nor was I wearing any teacher clothing. I was simply writing out a check. To my amusement, the cashier said the overhead marker ink was her clue. We both had a good chuckle.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

I keep meaning to bring up Visine, but forget (until I'm at school and need it!):rolleyes:

I got tired of trying to scratch that one spot on my back with a pencil and brought a back scratcher. The kids kept asking to use it so I bought a second one for them. They are so funny when they head up to it.

7. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jun 29, 2006

This is a quote from Page 1 (I'm still a new member & can't quote others posts):

1) I do not know any universal hiccup-stopping method, so I'm skeptical of yours, too. It's probably all mental.

I haven't tried that method to get rid of the hiccups but hiccups are actually muscle spasms in your diaphragm. So it's not a mind over matter thing. It's a physical reaction that can be caused all on it's own (diaphragm irritation) or by stress, excitment, or anxiety.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2006

I really like the idea about vaseline and q-tips. thanx!

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

That was me, NYS! I know hiccups are not mental, what I meant was that I think most of the cure ideas are. If someone can tell me a medically proven way of helping stop the muscle spasms, then I will very happily try it the next time I get hiccups. But a lot of what goes around works for very few people, and I'm not sure I believe it really works for them, either.

10. year#1

year#1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

For hiccups, my mom taught me to take nine little sips and one big gulp of water without breathing....I know it sounds weird but it works for me EVERY time!

11. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jun 30, 2006

My hiccup remedy - name the 7 dwarfs. From what I understand, we have a hard time relaxing that muscle when we get them. If you ask a trivia question, it takes your mind off of them and the muscles will relax. Works - unless a child has no idea who the 7 dwarfs are (which happens more often than you'll believe!)

I wish I knew that all papers don't have to be graded. Some things we do for practice. I hate it when people do work that they just throw away - I look over it to make sure the child understands. But, it is not necessary to grade everything.

Also, I wish I knew how much time an online gradebook would save me. This is the best thing since sliced bread to me!

12. KiewiStyles

KiewiStyles Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

There should have been a class in college on how to manage the copy machine- enlargements, copies, and most importantly, how to fix it when it gets jammed.

13. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 30, 2006

And why is it that the only one that truely knows how to work it never wants to share thier secrets?

I have one.... In a class with many hip hop listeners do not try to teach the ump word family. There is no way no how that you will not have childern singing "My Humps". I had to almost scrap that lesson all together this year. I really didn't want the principal to come down when the kids would break out into song.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 1, 2006

My vocal coach in college said that her doctor recommended pushing in on the diaphragm. I wouldn't suggest doing it with little kids, but it works for me. Of course, you have to know where your diaphragm is.

15. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Jul 1, 2006

* golf pencils are great for students' use!

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2006

I agree with making your desk your area... I have a friend who didn't who would have kids crowding behind her desk all the time & she didn't feel like she had anyplace that was "hers".

Sometimes you need a place to "go" on those hetic crazy days!!!

I say that when I am sitting at my desk (it is rare, but sometimes there is something I need to do during the middle of the day)- I am in my bubble. The kids understand that :)