Things that could hurt you on an Interview -Silly Question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ScienceGeek, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

Might be a silly question, but I've heard the slightest things could hurt you on an interview. Should I definitely wear my hair back? My hair is about 2 feet long down to my stomach. Will I have to cut it to find a job, or is that mostly with men? Although things are changing. What are some other things to consider that you might not think of?

3. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Are you male with the long hair? I think as long as it is tidy and nicely kept it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think that things that might hurt on an interview would be being dressed inappropriately or not knowing what your weaknesses are. I think you also have to know when it's appropriate to make a joke and know when to laugh or smile during an interview. It's all those hard body language things.

4. beaglelvr

beaglelvr Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

My advice is to wear it back. For many reasons.

First of all, super-long hair creates a downward "pull" (down from the face). The eye is directed down to your body - NOT where you want their eyes. Put your hair up, and voila! The hair is at the same vertical level as the eyes.

You also don't want to worry that some ignoramus might be thinking some dumb thought like, "hmmmm.... she teaches chemistry... is that hair going to end up in the petri dish"?
    You don't want to have to worry whether a hair or two fell onto your lapels. You want to focus on showing how capable and awesome you are.

And I'd say that the "additional things" to do with appearance would be anything else that would pull focus from a person's qualifications. Piercings, high heels, clothes that are too casual or too dressy or super high-end or worn out. Too much makeup. Too "young" a look... (it's amazing how many young ladies in particular are shocked that they make pants where the waistline actually falls somewhere in the vicinity of the WAIST).

I trust that the universe is good and whole, so I really do believe that on a subconscious level humans are aware of appearance factors that are voluntary vs. involuntary. So factors like skin color, height, weight (hopefully), deformities, etc. fall under a separate category from a low-cut blouse, 5" heels, pants with frayed hemlines, tatoos, piercings, hairstyles, etc.

A fabulous teacher I know has a congenital form of skin lesions all over the face. That person is at the height of their profession. Another is going through gender-reassignment and can't find a job despite vast qualifications.

We should do, like, a teacher makeover page where we upload "interview day" photos for critique. I know I need it...

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

I don't think it really matters whether or not you wear your hair back as long as its tidy.

I agree that some things that could hurt you are dressing too casually, not knowing your weaknessess, and possibly letting your nervousness come across too strongly.

Good luck!

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I have long hair as well (not as long as yours though!) and I always make sure to wear it back. It keeps me from trying to primp and fuss with it while I'm waiting for the interview to start.

7. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

STG....I totally agree about the nervousness!! In my interview, I was so nervous that I couldn't think straight...even with the simplest questions!

8. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

I used to have hair to my waist (it got cut when I taught kindergarten and some kid got lice - I panicked and chopped it off - some regret now) My hair is past my shoulders and I just put the sides back during interviews. I felt like when my hair was all pulled back or put up and I was in my interview suit I looked too "manly."

9. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I think if you are a man, then yes, pull it back. As a woman, I think you could go either way.

10. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I second the interview photos critique thread!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2009

Other things that could hurt you:

- Not being on time

- Dressing too casually. You're in NJ; the rules are the same as Long Island... NOTHING is casual!

- Not having enough confidence in yourself. This job market is brutal; you have to convince the interviewer that YOU are THE person for the job. In order to do that, you must believe it yourself.

- Not doing your homework. Know about the school, know the name of the principal, know their general philosophy, know the answer to "why do you want to work for US??"

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

Not being prepared for the interview, not looking the part - I wore suits even in the 90 plus degree heat here. I have long hair but just made sure it was neatly pulled back, nothing extreme. I didn't wear perfume just in case. Smiled.

13. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

not applying the rules of grammar correctly

14. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 11, 2009

Remember that antiperspirant commercial (years ago) where the guy goes, "Never answer the phone on the first ring. Never say 'I'll be right over.' And never, I don't care how nervous you are, never let 'em see you sweat."

It's good practice for when you're actually facing a classroom. :thumb:

Best to you.