Things seem quiet here

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tb71, Jul 17, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Things seem pretty quiet here on the job search. I'm hoping it's the calm b/f the storm. Very few new postings and several out of office e-mails, so at least some of them aren't interview ;)
    5 wks b/f school starts....

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

Same here...in fact this morning I noticed a few more postings removed. Maybe they are updating the old postings and making room for new postings ;)

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

let's hope!!!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

A lot of principals here are waiting for California to approve a budget (they are already a month late). I think there should be a law that they lose their pay unless they bring in the budget on time, and lose their jobs if it is too darn late. This is getting ridiculous with year-round schools starting up!

6. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Things are quiet in my neck of the woods as well. A year ago, the pickings were slim but at least there were some pickings!
    The job postings board is like a ghost town.
    I have 2 more weeks of teaching summer school and then there will be nothing.

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

Ive been checking NC and Ga and nothing is going on there.

8. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 17, 2009

That's true...nothing going on here in Ga. School starts in about three weeks.

9. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Very quiet here too.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

Yup, here in the central valley of CA too. Nothing. It's pretty scary how bleak this all is. Don't give up hope though. I've been hired two times AFTER the school year began.

11. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Doesn't give you time to prepare for anything, see the students on where they're at if you can look at their previous scores, meeting the other teachers to get to know them, etc.

Quiet here in the DFW area in Texas. Watched a report on the local news saying education and medical are the two stable jobs at the moment that aren't loosing people through layoffs because of the economy. I like to see where they got their information from.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

Lewisville and Garland ISD's have postings. Do you have your apps in with them? I would check with Plano and Coppell too. I had calls from them recently. All the best. Coppell told me that they are just getting ready to start the hiring crunch. All the best! :)
    Make sure you are sending out resumes to schools that are not showing postings too. Often when the posting goes up, they already have their list for interviewing. Be proactive. I am rooting for you!:):):)

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

Actually, those years were just as successful as the other two years I taught where I was hired before the school year. Where I am, we don't get the student list until the morning school starts, and same with the students, they don't know who the teacher is until that same morning. When I was a child, I wouldn't know until a week before school, so I guess it's not that unusual. Oh, and I don't want to really know what the student was like until I get to know them first.

Besides, a teacher needs to learn to be flexible. That's kinda part of the job description!!! :)

14. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

No jobs have been added in 3 weeks or so here.

15. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I'll give them a try. Thanks for the tip.

In elementary school there would be a list of what student has what teacher a week or two before school started. Made sense, especially when you as a student walk in and see your name on a desk, showing you that's your assigned seat.

16. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Has anyone heard what is happening in Southern California? I'm trying to be patient, but there is nothing!

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

Best of luck! Let us know if you get anything from those districts. They are still adding new positions, and like I said, do not wait for the posting. Go ahead and send out resumes to schools. You want to be at the forefront when they are putting together a list of interviewees.:)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

I've taught 3 years of kinder and one year of fifth grade. For the two years I was hired before the school year began, I was given the list the DAY OF school. It seems that it is just my area. Plus, there are so many changes to my class list for the first week or so that I never make name tags or anything permanent until at least 2 weeks are over. Like I said, teachers have to be flexible. :)

19. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Well I'm alternative certified (went through region 11 in Ft Worth) and someone might get around to me.

I'm guessing if school districts are still hiring that they either have gone through the regular certified teachers and their applications first or they are really slow in hiring people.

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

Nothing here in east county. Everyone is waiting for the budget. Good luck - were you pink slipped or are you starting new, if you don't mind me asking. Many of the pink slipped haven't been hired back yet.

21. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

No I'm new. :(