Things I'm Overlooking?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, Aug 29, 2006.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 29, 2006

Hey Everyone!

I'm posting like crazy this week to get ready for my first year, thanks already for all your help!! A couple more things......

1- I plan on using a traffic light system for behavior, but I am not sure what to use as my consequence if the children get onto red throughout the day. I will only have them from 9:30 to 12 each day.

2- I am starting to make my rules, I have considered talking it over with the students the first day of school so that we can make come up with them together but I haven't decided yet. Do you think this is a good idea? Any class rule ideas?

3- I know that there is so much going to these past few weeks that I am completely overlooking a million tiny details that I probably won't notice until it's too late. Does anyone have anything that they think I should be doing or preparing or aaaaanything that I might not be thinking of? My head is swirling with different things night and day so any little thing would be a helpful reminder for me.

Thank you so much!! You guys are a great resource.........:love:

3. Alitig1

Alitig1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

The pre k and k teachers around me who use the traffic light system take minutes away at recess where the kids have to sit outside and watch for 3 to 5 minutes before they can play.

I don't use that sort of system - I use natural consequences, like if they do't follow directions quickly (one of my rules) they miss out on the next activity until they comply with the directions.

I only have 3 rules - Keep your hands to yourself, use an inside voice, and follow directions quickly.

We repeat the rules every day and by te end of the year they al should be able to say them as they "read" the chart.

Most importnat thing is make your transition activity plans and figure out where you want the kids to be while the potty time is happening. I messed up and they are now siting at the wrong table waiting to go and wash hands but I don't want to change the routine yet.

4. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 30, 2006

I used the traffic light system last year when I was working with a full time classroom. I did green, yellow, red and black.

I had 4 construction paper signs (used wingdings for the faces):
    1) on green paper a big smiley that said under it "you are making great choices"
    2) on yellow paper-a straight mouth face and under it "stop and make better choices"
    3) on red paper - a frown face and it said "discuss your choices with the teacher"
    4) on black paper - a frown face and it said "an oh-no report is sent home to discuss choices with parents"

I hung these 4 signs by the children't "traffic lights" so they had more of a visual cue (green makes you smile, etc)

Each child had a little piece of paper hanging next to their traffic light. At the end of the day, if they were on green, they got a sticker on their paper. When they had 10 stickers, they could choose a prize from the "treasure box" (party favor stuff).

This year I'm teaching part time pre-k, 3 hours per day, and I'm not using that. we are just going over the rules a lot. They are so busy in the three hours, I haven't had any behavior problems.....yet.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 30, 2006

One rule I included this year is "We say, You can play." Last year we had issues with a group of children excluding a child. I hope to refer to this rule should that happen again.

6. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

We use a traffic light system which is from the book "123 Magic for Teachers". When we get to red we sit in time out for 2-3 minutes and lose our sticker for the day. (3 lost in a week is no treasure box). They will continue to go to time out whenever they reach red. However, usually once in time out a day is all that happens.