Things have come to a head...vent

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by trayums, Oct 6, 2010.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2010

Hi all,
    I hope everyone is having a great year!! I am not. I am about 5 months pregnant right and my hormones are raging for sure but things are coming to a head in my classroom and NOT in a good way. I posted a while back about having two children in my classroom that were NOT a good fit. One is 100% ADHD and the other is emotionally scarred from trauma at an early age. Both of these friends are making teaching and learning my classroom all but impossible. These children are on opposite areas of the classroom carpet and yet call across the carpet and talk during lessons... so much so that I need to begin my lessons 4 and 5 times!!!! Both of them talk constantly either to themselves or to anyone that might be around them. They are loud. They rile each other up. They laugh at each other... in a LOUD way, they get silly together at totally inappropriate times!!!
    I spent much of the day in tears. Turning around, standing outside my own classroom with tears rolling down my cheeks because I am at my WITS end. I don't know what to do with these two anymore. I have tried SO many strategies. Nonverbal redirections, verbal, moving them off the carpet, using a partner room where they go when they are being disruptive etc. Rewards, consequences, kindness, firmness and nothing I do it effective in anyway. Meanwhile, my tears were also for the 17 other kids in my room who are being forced out of their right to learn! They sit, ready to go and these two boys make it impossible.
    I went to both my principal and psychologist (who has been in observing over the past few weeks). My principal observed for about 40 minutes and agrees that I need some assistance with these children. However, I am nervous that it will be pushed under the rug and I will end up in tears everyday!!!!!!!
    Like I said, the pregnancy hormones do not help, but I am thinking that I would have cried last year in this situation as well.
    I am sorry for the vent! If anyone has any advice, I would love it. Otherwise thank you for reading and hanging in there through my whole long drawn out vent!!!
    :dizzy:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2010

I am so sorry. I don't have any real advice, other than suggest involving the parents, but I did want you to know that we are here for you. I hope things improve. :hugs:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

Just keep at it! It's hard but the students are learning. If they are so disruptive, could you give them an alternative assignment to complete together away from the group?
    Could they work in the principal's office until you get extra help?

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2010

First of all,:hugs:

Perhaps this may be the year to not have any carpet work. Bummer.
    It may cut down on the "free spirit" yelling out that the two have going. In chairs, opposite sides of the room, backs to each other, lots of directed work for them. You may have to also build some study carrels (is that the way it's spelled?) with two desks between facing the wall. I know we all hate that, but if you tell them to stop yelling out, and they don't, explaining to them that they've made the choice to sit at their wall desks and then leading them firmly to them may help.

It's not ideal. It won't be a total solution, but it may cut it back a bit. I'm truly sorry. It's difficult to help more without being right there in the classroom. A difficult situation that happens to most teachers at some point.

6. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Oct 7, 2010

oh my goodness i feel your pain! I was in tears by the end of yesterday as well- i have never had such terrible behavior in my class before. For me it is half my class that has issues (nothing diagnosed just misbehavior). Like you i have tried it ALL! My grad school professor told us what she did- i tried it and it seems to be affecting them! When they came in this morning i had them go right to their desks w/o unpacking anything. I said it quietly and without expression. I did not answer questions or do anything. When they were all seated I said take out your folders. they did. Put away your folders. they did giggling. I continued this pattern for everything we did. stand up, sit down, stand up, go to the carpet, come back, then go again. If anyone talked, even 1 word, they had to go back to their desk and start all over. by the end of the day the ones that have trouble were really tired of having to go back and forth 15 times. We'll see how it goes! Hang in there!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 7, 2010

I feel for you. Deeply. I have 10 students this year, and 9 of them have issues like you just described. It's to the point where our beloved Spanish teacher left my room today shaking her head, saying 'bueno suerte' over and over. Very few tears left in me at this point.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

I just wanted to give you all an update on what's going on in my circus...I mean classroom. First of all, hearing your stories and letting me know that I am not alone is SO helpful. I feel like some on my grade level look at me like I have no classroom management. On the contrary I really thought it was one of my relative strengths until a few weeks ago. Ugh.
    After Wednesday, talking to the psychologist at school and my principal both of whom I started crying to when I spoke with them (ugh rather humiliating), they have started to help with these two boys. Thankfully. I hope it continues but who knows...
    On Friday, one of the two (my emotionally scarred friend) caused so much distraction and was sooo disruptive in music that the psychologist was called and the boy was literally dragged out of music up to the office where he proceeded to scream and cry and sit under the conference room table for about an hour. Heartbreaking.
    It just keeps getting better... ugh! I am hoping there is follow through with helping me with these children and that it doesn't get "forgotten" if you know what I mean!
    THANK YOU again for your support!!!! It means a lot more than you even know!!!! Hang in there everyone!!!!

9. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Nov 2, 2010

I don't have much advice, but have you tried not having those two on the carpet? How are they if you have one work on a skill on the computer while the other is on the carpet and vice versa?

Do you know their currency? If something moves them, use it! If working on a skill or game on the computer works, USE IT!

Hugs to you! I have a difficult student as well...