Things Fall Apart

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Jun 15, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2014

So I purchased Chenua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, which I was required to read as a freshman in high school. Obviously, I didn't read it really well then, but I did today because I've bought a class set for my upcoming 7th graders to read--I figured hey, it's a recommended book for students, it must be a-ok. There are parts of that book that made me uneasy: succulent "breasts," illusions to sex (woman on top, undoing garment), and the horrific scene of a baby getting mutilated (which made me want to throw the book out the window because I can't stand stuff like that).

What the heck?

Since it's a classic, and recommended reading I guess I will keep it. Anybody else think this is a somewhat questionable read?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

You've recently asked about a questionable textbook and hw this... You might be well advised to err on the side of caution. Avoid controversy. You can deliver excellent instruction with less objectionable text.

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2014

Well that's because I'm incorporating a ton of reading into my social studies classes (that there are a lot of texts I'm reading over the summer) because my kids are low low readers. I will still use this book because 7th grade is a grade where this book is read commonly. I was just personally stunned by it. If I feel my students aren't mature enough to handle it (by the time we cover this it'll be spring), I will just not assign those chapters. I'm not worried about my position being compromised by a text that is used all over the country in public schools. I was only curious if anybody else was put off by those parts of the book or if I'm too prudish, that's the only reason I asked the question.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

7th grade is too young for you to do "Things Fall Apart" as a required text. Looking around online, all CCSS references to that book seem to be for high school grades, and most for 10-12. To me, that seems appropriate. You might be able to use excerpts from "Things Fall Apart," but I wouldn't do the whole thing. The CCSS appendix has it down as a grade 9-10 exemplar. I don't even know if I'd be crazy about it for grades 9-10, but definitely not 7.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2014

You shouldn't care what other 7th grade teachers are doing all over the country. You should only care about what is A-OK in your own building.

If your IST/Admin allow you to teach the book (especially without having to skip parts), then teach it. But, you should probably get approval first. No English teacher at my school does a novel-study without Admin/IST approval. This is mostly because the school buys the novels but none of them would go out and buy a set of novels and just starts teaching it without first talking to our IST.

Also, I may have you confused with someone else, but if I recall correctly, you are a relatively new teacher (less than five years). Better be safe than sorry at this point in the game.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2014

I am also looking to incorporate novels in SS class. I'm reading through so many texts! I routinely eliminate anything vaguely controversial, but my district is ultra conservative . I've never heard of the novel you're talking about so I don't think it's common in my area.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Be guided by your standards. I'm sure there are less controversial texts you can use to deliver your required content to young learners.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

I definitely wouldn't do this book for 7th grade. I've never seen it taught that young before. I'd see if you can resell the books and get something more grade level appropriate, especially if you have such low readers.

10. live

live Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I remember reading that book in high school, and honestly, I didn't even think twice about any part of the book. At that age, I was mature enough to know about those things; too immature to understand the weight of them. Every school, student, and student population is different though. With that said, middle school may still be too young.

If you're concerned, you could always send a permission slip and provide alternative book options for those who do not wish to participate. And of course, get approval from admin.

I think I'm actually interested in reading this book now that I'm a little older, and see how my perspective has changed.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

You read it in 9th grade
    You are going to teach low reading 7th graders
    You were taken aback by it...

And you are still considering it?:confused:

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

I've never read the book, but based on your post, I wouldn't have used it with my grade 7 class this year; most did not have the maturity to deal with some of the content you mentioned. On Scholastic's website, they list the interest level for the book as 9-12th grade--I usually find them to be fairly accurate.

I almost never use a whole class novel--there is too great a range of levels in my classes to make any book an appropriate choice for all--unless I am doing it as a read aloud and/or for modelling.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Given the description, I'd have issues with the text for my not low level sons...and the OP is in NC where she could run into conservative families...as a new to grade level/district teacher....not a hill I'd choose to die on. Even as a seasoned, tenured teacher.:2cents:

14. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

No, wouldn't use with 7th grade and would not want my 7th grader reading it. In the last school I worked at, that book would have gotten a teacher in trouble. Does not sound age appropriate

15. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I read it in 12th grade world lit and the teacher got some complaints from parents, I went to a school with high parental involvement.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

I have read and enjoyed this book. I do not think that it is appropriate for most middle schoolers.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

I read it in university in 2 different classes, and I still don't think I read it well. I don't remember any of the parts you referenced. I wouldn't read this with anyone in grade 7 - 11.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

That's a junior/senior level book in the two districts on which I've taught. Not only do I think middle school is too young to handle it, I think they're too immature to "get" it. The themes and writing style of the book just doesn't seem well suited for middle school, in my opinion.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 16, 2014

I agree. This book is meant for high school. I think they'd get a lot more out of this book if they wait until high school to read it.

20. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

I read that book in 12th grade Honors English - teaching it in seventh grade does not seem like it would fit, given the content in the book and the typical maturity of a seventh grader

21. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 16, 2014

If they are low readers and you are teaching history not English, I would recommend having current events with vocabulary notes instead of a novel.

Plus i agree with the board, that novel is for upper grades (high school level) not middle school.

22. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2014

I read it in college; though I think it was a very good book and gave me a different perspective on things, I really don't think it should be given to students below 12th grade. It's not the description of breasts or violence per se that bother me (after all, Romeo and Juliet has violence), it's more the darkness of the book and that I just don't think it is really accessible for younger teens.

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 16, 2014

Especially low readers.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

I read it in 12th grade; I absolutely would not read it in MS.

There are quite a lot of MS level books that will be accessible to your students and cover your needs in SS. I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is the curriculum for 7th grade where you are?

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 16, 2014

Do you have the ability to return the class set? It sounds like it's not going to work now that you've had a chance to reread and reflect upon it.

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

What does your social studies curriculum encompass? Perhaps we could give some alternate suggestions.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 16, 2014

It came with our 7th grade textbooks. We don't read it. Too mature for our current kids.

28. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 17, 2014

Could also compare greek mythology to cinematic adaptiations of the greek mythos.

I once read a very entertaining writeup on the differences between Disney's Hercules (1997) and the Heracles of myth. It's rather entertaining.

29. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

7th grade is World History 1500-present (and I have a passion for African history during the colonial era), I will also teach 6th and 8th, which are different curriculums.. I would love recommendations for a book dealing with this topic.

As far as novels, I am REQUIRED to teach with novels in my graduate program, there is no question I will do this.

I am the social studies department, there are no other social studies teachers, and obviously there is only one teacher who IS the language arts department. I know her personally and she is super excited to have a social studies partner teacher who will incorporate tons of literacy into the curriculum.

I will toss the book for my 7th graders but I would like recommendations for a book for colonial Africa.

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2014

Are you currently enrolled in a grad program?

I guess I would focus less on what my grad program requires and more on what the school/district requires. Does it also require novel studies in social studies?

31. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 19, 2014

I have not read any of these novels and do not know their intended audiences. Interestingly, Things Fall Apart is on this list. Its a starting point for exploration anyway. Hope this link helps.

http://www.historicalnovels.info/Africa.html

32. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

Yes, I'm in a masters program. My program has emphasized since DAY ONE the importance of incorporating historical fiction into the curriculum. It is a state program that works with my district extensively. I have absolutely NO worries about incorporating novels into my curriculum and am not quite sure why YOU are so worried.

But of course, I am pre-reading every novel I have selected and each one was off a similar site provided by runs with scissors, (which included Things Fall Apart), guess that's why it is a good thing to pre-read and not have any surprises. I have seen this novel prescribed for 7th grade, but again I have elected NOT to incorporate it. But the novels I have selected thus far are (I have read and find them perfectly suitable)

Definitely:

The Midwife's Apprentice
    The Executioner's Daughter
    Angel on the Square

Not sure about:

A Break with Charity (Salem Witch Trials), I found the text a difficult read even though the lexile is pretty low. If I could find a more easy read on the topic I would prefer that.

Haven't read yet but am considering:

The Watson's Go to Birmingham

Do you really think I need to get every book I choose pre-approved? What about every documentary and film I choose? What about every app I project on my overhead?

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

Avi. Crispin: the Cross of LeadFalsely accused of theft and murder, an orphaned peasant boy in 14th century England flees his village and meets a larger-than-life juggler who holds a dangerous secret. AR: 5.0, Lexile: 780

Avi. Midnight Magic InItaly in 1491, Magnus the Magician & his apprentice are summoned to the castle of King Claudio to determine if his daughter is indeed being haunted by a ghost. AR: 4.7, Lexile: 660

Barrett, Tracy. Anna of Byzantium In the 11th century the teenage princess Anna Comnena fights for her birthright, the throne of the Byzantine Empire, which she fears will be taken from her by her younger brother John because he is a boy. AR: 6.4, Lexile: 910

Blackwood, Gary L.The Shakespeare Stealer. A young orphan boy is ordered by his master to infiltrate Shakespeare's acting troupe in order to steal the script of "Hamlet," but he discovers instead the meaning of friendship and loyalty. AR: 5.2, Lexile: 840

Blackwood, Gary L.Shakespeare’s Scribe. In plague-ridden 1602 England, a fifteen-year-old orphan boy, who has become an apprentice actor, goes on the road with Shakespeare's troupe, and finds out more about his parents along the way. AR: 6.1, Lexile: 870

Bosse, Malcolm J. Captives of TimeOrphaned by the brutal murder of their parents, Anne and her gentle but mute brother suffer great hardships as they travel across a dangerous, pestilence-ridden Europe to their uncle, an armorer and clockmaker, and, after his death, to a distant city to deliver the commissioned plans of his precious clock. Middle Ages.

Bosse, Malcolm J. The Examination Two brothers face the dangers of traveling in medieval China when one must go to Beijing to take his scholar’s tests. AR: 7.7,Lexile: 910

Bosse, Malcolm J. Tusk and Stone After Dacoits attack his caravan and he loses his identity as a Brahmin, Arjun resigns himself to his new life, becomes an elephant driver, and searches for his kidnapped sister. Set in medieval India. Lexile: 950

Bradford, Karleen. There Will Be Wolves Ursula, condemned as a witch because of her knowledge of healing, escapes being burned to death when she joins her father & thousands of others who follow Peter the Hermit on the 1st Crusade from Cologne to Jerusalem, 1096. AR: 5.4, Lexile: 820

Branford, Henrietta. Fire, Bed & Bone It is 1381 & unrest is spreading like a.plague among the peasants of England, who are tired of the hardships they suffer at the hands of oppressive landlords. This tale of the Peasants’ Revolt is told through the eyes, ears, and nose of a dog. AR: 5.0,Lexile: 830

Brady, Charles. A. The King’s ThaneEngland, 625 A.D. - Vikings

Cadnum, Michael. The Book of the Lion In 12th century England, after his master, a maker of coins for the king, is brutally punished for alleged cheating, 17 yr. old Edmund finds himself traveling to the Holy Land as a squire to a knight crusader on him way to join the forces of Richard Lionheart. AR: 6.9, Lexile: 980

Cadnum, Michael. In a Dark Wood On orders from the King, the Sheriff of Nottingham seeks to capture the outlaw Robin Hood, but he finds him to be a tricky and elusive foe. Legend set in the time of Richard I, 1189-1199. AR: 5.8, Lexile: 780

Clark, Ann Nolan. Secret of the Andes.An Indian boy who tends llamas in a hidden valley in Peru learns the traditions and secrets of his Inca ancestors. AR: 4.7, Lexile: 710

Conrad, Pam. El Diario de Pedro: UnViaje con Cristobal Colon. Fictionalized diary.

Cushman, Karen. Catherine, Called Birdy The 13-yr.-old daughter of an English country knight keeps a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to avoid being married off. AR: 6.4,Lexile: 1170

Dana, Barbara. Young Joan: a Novel Joan, a girl growing up in the French countryside during the Hundred Years’ War, begins to hear voices telling her she is destined to reunite her torn country in opposition to the English invaders. (France, 1422) AR: 3.9,Lexile: 580

De Angeli, Marguerite. The Door in the Wall A crippled boy in 14th century England proves his courage and earns recognition from the King. AR: 6.2, Lexile: 990

Diekmann,Miep. Slave Doctor.In 1681 a fifteen-year-old orphan signs on as a ship's doctor and learns first hand the horrors of the slave trade in the West Indies.

Fletcher, Susan. Shadow Spinner WhenMarjan, a 13-yr-old physically handicapped girl, joins the Sultan’s harem in ancientPersia, she gathers for Shahrazad the stories which will save the queen’s life. AR: 4.6Lexile: 710

Garden, Nancy. Dove and Sword: a Novel of Joan of ArcDomremy.France. 1429.A
    peasant girl (Joan) hears voices. These voices say she has been chosen as God’s warrior; they tell her to lead an army and crown the dauphin King of France. AR: 6.4 Lexile:1140

Goodman, Joan E. Peregrine In 1144, 15-yr.-old Lady Edith, having lost her husband & child to avoid marrying a man she detests, sets out from her home in Surrey to go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. AR: 4.9Lexile: 650

Goodman, Joan E. Winter Hare In 1140, with England divided between King Stephen & those of the Empress Matilda, 12 yr.-old William Belet, small for his age but longing to be a knight, comes to his uncle’s castle to be a page & soon finds himself involved in dangerous intrigues & adventures. AR: 5.9

Gray, Elizabeth Janet. Adam of the Road 11 yr. Old Adam loved to travel through the open roads of 13th century England with his father, a wandering minstrel, & his red spaniel, Nick. But when his father suddenly disappears & Nick is stolen, Adam finds himself alone searching these same roads filled with rich merchants, pilgrims, farming folk, minstrels, priests,
    saints & thieves & somewhere in the crowd, his father & his dog. AR: 6.5, Lexile: 1030

Gregory,Kristiana.Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile. While her father is in hiding after attempts on his life, twelve-year-old Cleopatra records in her diary how she fears for her own safety and hopes to survive to become Queen of Egypt some day. AR:6.2, Lexile: 920

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

Guillot, Rene. The Troubadour Aubrey, Knight of the Red Cross, travels in the disguise of a troubadour in order to overthrow a Baron and restore a castle to its rightful owner.

Haugaard, Erik C.Cromwell’s Boy A 13-yr. old spy’s wit and horsemanship make him invaluable to the Cromwell forces as they fight against King Charles in the English Civil War of 1642 Lexile: 780

Haugaard, Erik C. Hakon of Rogen’s Saga The story of a widowed father who kidnaps an Earl’s daughter for his new bride; of the vengeance that swiftly follows, of a brother’s treachery, of a small Viking boy grown wise beyond his years who survives bloodshed & tragedy to seek his own birthright along with his manhood.

Haugaard, Erik C. Samurai’s Tale In turbulent 16th century Japan, orphaned Taro is taken in by a general serving the great warlord Takeda Shingen & grows up to become a samurai fighting for the enemies of his dead family. AR: 6.3, Lexile: 960

Haugaard, Erik C. The Revenge of the Forty-seven Samurai. A fourteen-year-old serving boy finds himself surrounded by suspicion and betrayal as his master gathers a group of samurai to avenge Lord Asano's death.

Haycraft, Molly. My Lord Brother the Lion Heart.

Hewes, Agnes Danforth.A Boy of the Lost Crusade.A fictionalized account of the Children’s Crusade of 1212.

Hoobler, Dorothy. Ghost in the Tokaido Inn While attempting to solve the mystery of a stolen jewel, Seikei, a merchant’s son who longs to be a samurai, joins a group of Kabuki actors in 18th century Japan. AR 5.1, Lexile: 740

Hunter, Mollie. The Spanish Letters Anglo-Scottish relations are not good in the time of Elizabeth I. This is a thrilling tale of espionage set in Edinburgh in the year 1589.

Hunter, Mollie. King’s Swift Rider: a Novel on Robert the Bruce.Unwilling to fight but feeling a sense of duty, sixteen-year-old Martin joins Scotland's rebel army as a swift rider and master of espionage for the leader, Robert the Bruce. Set in about 1274 Scotland.Lexile: 1120

Hunter, Mollie. You Never Knew Her as I Did The speaker is 17-yr.-old Douglas. His brilliant idea is a plan to rescue the beautiful young Mary, Queen of Scots, from her island prison. AR: 6.6

Hunter, Mollie. The 13th Member Set in sixteenth-century Scotland, this vividly-written tale based on records of a plot to murder King James I. Witchcraft is the chosen weapon. AR:7.3

Kelly, Eric P. The Trumpeter of KrakowA Polish family in the Middle Ages guards a great secret treasure, & a boy’s memory of an earlier trumpeter of Krakow makes it possible for him to save his father. AR 7.1, Lexile: 1200

Kent, Louise A. He Went with Marco Polo: a story of Venice and Cathay
    King, Clive. Ninny’s Boat.An enterprising young slave accompanies the Angles on their fifth-century flight to Britain where he discovers his true identity.

Konigsburg, E.L. Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver This novel, based on the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine, has succeeded in making history amusing as well as interesting. AR 5.4, Lexile:770

Konigsburg, E.L. The Second Mrs. Giaconda Relates, from the point of view of his servant Salai, how Leonardo da Vinci came to paint the Mona Lisa. AR 5.7, Lexile: 840

Lasky, Kathryn. Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor In a series of diary entries, Princess Elizabeth, the 11 yr. old daughter of King Henry VIII, celebrates holidays & birthdays, relives her mother’s execution, revels in her studies, & agonizes over her father’s health. AR:5.5, Lexile: 820

Lasky, Kathryn. Mary, Queen of Scots, Queen without a CountryFrance, 1553 Mary, the young Scottish queen, writes in her diary about her experiences living at the court of France's King Henry II as she awaits her marriage to Henry's son, Francis. One of the Royal Diaries series. AR 6.0, Lexile: 850

Lester, Julius. Pharoah’s Daughter: a Novel of Ancient Egypt.A fictionalized account of a Biblical story in which an Egyptian princess rescues a Hebrew infant who becomes a prophet of his people while his sister finds her true self as a priestess to the Egyptian gods. AR: 5.0, Lexile: 720

Mantel, S. G. Youngest Conquistador An adventure story of the conquest of Mexico. Pablo Oliva was barely fifteen years old when he took part in one of the greatest events the world has seen: the capture of the powerful Aztec Empire by a mere handful of Cortez’s Spanish soldiers & caballeros, fighting half-a-world away from home.

Martin, Susan. I Sailed with Columbus The story of Columbus’ 1st voyage of discovery as seen through the eyes of a 14-year-old boy.

McCaughrean, Geraldine. The Kite Rider. In thirteenth-century China, after trying to save his widowed mother from a horrendous second marriage, twelve-year-old Haoyou has life-changing adventures when he takes to the sky as a circus kite rider and ends up meeting the great Mongol ruler Kublai Khan. AR: 6.5, Lexile: 900

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

McGraw, Eloise Jarvis. The Golden Goblet.Ranofer was the son of a famous artisan and supposed to follow in his father's footsteps, but when his father dies, Ranofer's greedy brother Gebu comes and forces him to steal for him. AR: 6.3, Lexile: 930

McKissack, Patrick. Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba Presents the diary of 13 yr. old Nzingha, a 16th century West African princess who loves to hunt & hopes to one day lead her kingdom against the invasion of the Portuguese traders.
    AR: 5.6, Lexile: 750
    Meisels, Andrew. Son of a Star A heroic story of the bitter struggle of a handful of Jews against overwhelming odds. The time is A.D/ 132, when a simple warrior named Simon Bar Kochba united the hill tribes of Judah & for 3 years the Jewish rebellion raged unchecked against everything the Romans could muster. When it ended it signified the end of the Jewish state for some 1,800 years until it emerged as present-day Israel.Andrew Meisels portrayal of the Bar Kochba rebellion is a history lesson that brings us up to date.

Melnikoff, Pamela. Star and the Sword In 12th century England, Benedict & Elvira are two Jewish young people who suddenly find themselves orphaned & their peaceful Yorkshire home destroyed during a pogrom.

Meyer, Carolyn. Isabel, Jewel of Castilla While awaiting anxiously for others to choose a husband for her, Isabella, the futre queen of Spain, keeps a diary account of her life as a member of the royal family. AR: 6.4, Lexile: 860

Meyer, Carolyn. Mary, Bloody Mary Mary Tudor, who would reign briefly as queen of England during the mid 16th century, tells the story of her troubled childhood as daughter of King Henry VIII. AR: 6.3, Lexile: 830

Miklowitz, Gloria D. Secrets in the House of Delgado In Spain in 1492, 14-yr-old Maria, a Catholic orphan, becomes a servant to a wealthy family of Conversos, converted Jews, at a time when the Jews are being expelled from the country & when the Inquisition is diligently searching for religious heretics. AR: 4.7, Lexile: 670
    Molina Llorente,PilarThe Apprentice Working as an artist’s apprentice in Renaissance Florence, 13-yr.-old Arduino makes a discovery which may cost him the chance to become a painter. AR 5.3, Lexile: 730

Morpurgo, Michael. Joan of Arc of Domremy While sitting on the riverbank in the ancient French city of Orleans, 17-yr.-old Eloise hears a voice, which relates the adventures and struggles of the medieval heroine Joan of Arc as she fights to free France by driving out the English. AR 5.5

Morris, Gerald. The Squire, His Knight, & His Lady Legend taking place in medievalEngland. After several years at King Arthur’s court, Terence, as Sir Gawain’s squire & friend, accompanies him on a perilous quest that tests all their skills & whose successful completion could mean certain death for Gawain. AR 5.2, Lexile: 760

Morris, Gerald. The Squire’s Tale Story based on legend. In medieval England, 14-yr.-old Terence finds his tranquil existence suddenly changed when he becomes the squire of the young Gawain of Orkney & accompanies him on a long quest, proving Gawain’s worth as a knight & revealing an important secret about his own true identity. AR: 4.8, Lexile: 700

Namioka, Lensey. Den of the White Fox In medieval Japan, two out-of-work samurai warriors must use their fighting skills when they join a group of local boys, led by the mysterious White Fox, in resistance to a cruel occupying force. AR: 5.9, Lexile: 750

Namioka, Lensey. The Samurai and the Long-Nosed Devils In medieval Japan during a warlord’s drive to unify Japan, two unemployed samurai become bodyguards to a group of foreigners being harassed by the warlord’s enemies.

Napoli, Donna Jo. Breath Elaborates on the tale of "The Pied Piper," told from the point of view of a medieval boy who is too ill to keep up when a piper spirits away the healthy children of a plague-ridden town after being cheated out of full payment for ridding Hameln of rats. Based on Medieval living conditions.AR: 4.2, Lexile: 620

O’Dell,Scott .The Captive As part of a Spanish expedition to the New World, a Jesuit seminarian witnesses the enslavement & exploitation of the Mayans. This is a tale of conquistadors & a perilous voyage, of cannibals & bloodied gods, of greed for gold, of shipwreck & solitary survival & of all the awesome splendor of ancient Maya civilization.

O’Dell, Scott. The Hawk that Dare not Hunt by Day.Amid political turmoil and threats of plague, young Tom Barton accepts the risks of helping William Tyndale publish and smuggle into England the Bible he has translated into English. AR:6.1

O’Dell, Scott. Road to Damietta In 13th century Italy Ricca, a young Italian woman, recounts the story of Frances Bernadone, later to become Francis of Assisi. He goes to Damietta on the Nile, where he tries to seek an end to the war between Moslems & Christians. AR 6.3, Lexile: 980

Park, Linda Sue. The Kite Fighters InKorea in 1473, 11-yr.-old Young-sup overcomes his rivalry with his older brother Kee-sup, who as the first-born son receives special treatment from their father, & combines his kite-flying skill with Kee-sup’s kite-making skill in an attempt to win the New Year kite-fighting competition. AR: 5.5, Lexile: 880

Park, Linda Sue. A Single Shard.Tree-ear, a thirteen-year-old orphan in medieval Korea, lives under a bridge near a potters' village, and longs to learn how to throw the delicate celadon ceramics himself. AR: 6.6 Lexile: 920

Paterson, Katherine. The Master Puppeteer The setting is Japan during Tokugawa times. A thirteen-year-old boy describes the poverty and discontent of eighteenth century Osaka and the world of puppeteers in which he lives. AR: 5.4, Lexile: 860

Paterson, Katherine. Of Nightingales that Weep The vain young daughter of a samurai finds her comfortable life ripped apart when opposing warrior clans begin a struggle for imperial control of Japan. AR: 6.2,Lexile: 950

Paterson, Katherine. Sign of the Chrysanthemum The setting is Japan during the turbulent Samurai period. The son of a legendary samurai warrior sets out to search for the father he has never met, but will know by the sign of the chrysanthemum that marks the nobleman’s shoulder. AR: 5.6, Lexile: 870

Polland, Madeleine. AlhambraJuanito, born a Spaniard but raised in the Alhambra as a Moor, participates in the Spanish siege of Granada in 1492.

Pope, Elizabeth. The Perilous Gard In 1558 while imprisoned in a remote castle, a young girl becomes involved in a series of events that lead to an underground labyrinth peopled by the last practitioners of druidic magic. AR: 6.3, Lexile: 1020

Prince, Maggie. House on the Hill.Soon after she, her mother, and her younger brother move into an old house on what was once known as Beggarsgate, Emily begins to have terrifyingly real glimpses of scenes of seventeenth-century London devastated by the plague.AR: 5.4 Lexile:780

Pyle, Howard. Men of Iron MylesFalworth is the son of a lord unjustly condemned for treason in the days when King Henry IV was bringing England under firm rule following the weak and corrupt reign of Richard II. How Myles grows in knightly prowess and viture until he finally vindicates his father makes a very adventurous story. AR 9.0

Rupert, Janet E. The African Mask 12-yr.-old Layo, a Roruba girl living in the area of 11th century Africa which is now Nigeria, attempts to reject the man who has been chosen to be her husband.

Scott, Walter. Ivanhoe Relates the adventures of the Saxon knight in 1194, the year of Richard the Lion-Hearted’s return from the Third Crusade. Danger, daring & romance in the world’s most popular novel of chivalry. A classic! AR 12.9, Lexile:1410

Siegel, Deborah Spector. The Cross by Day, the Mezussah by Night Because she is a Marrano, 13-yr.-old Isabel suffers the harrowing experience of expulsion from Spain during the reign of King Ferdinand & Queen Isabella in the time of the Inquisition.

Skurzynski, Gloria. Spider’s Voice Because he is a young mute person who can hear, Aran becomes involved in the adventures of Eloise & Abelard, France’s most famous lovers, who lived during the 12th century. AR 5.8, Lexile: 850

Stevenson, Robert Louis. The Black Arrow Tale of adventure during the Wars of the Roses when Henry VI precariously occupied the throne of England. Richard, the Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) plays a prominent part in the story.
    AR: 9.0, Lexile: 980

Suttcliff, Rosemary. The Shining Company 7th century Britain is brought to life in this sage of the three hundred Companions battling the invading Saxons. AR: 7.1, Lexile: 1240

Sutcliff, Rosemary. Sword Song. At 16, Bjarni is cast out of the Norse settlement in the Angles’ Land for an act of oath-breaking & spends 5 yrs. sailing & witnessing the feuds of the clan chiefs of Scotland. (Vikings, Prior to 1066) Lexile: 1240

Temple, Frances. The Beduins’ GazelleIn 1302, 2 cousins of the nomadic BeniKhalid tribe who are betrothed become separated by political intrigue between warring tribes. AR: 5.5, Lexile: 860
    Temple, Frances. The Ramsay Scallop At the turn of the 14th century in England, 14 year old Elenor finds her betrothal to an ambitious lord’s son launching her on a memorable pilgrimage to far-offSpain. AR: 5.6,Lexile: 890

Tomlinson, Theresa. Child of the May. 15 yr.-old Magda helps Robin Hood’s men rescue Lady Matilda & her daughter, Isabel, from the clutches of the king’s evil henchmen. (Sequel to TheForestwife. Great Britain 1199-1216) AR: 4.8, Lexile: 640

Trease, Geoffrey. Bows Against the BaronsThe setting is Norman (Medieval) England. Dickson , a Saxon peasant had unwittingly killed the landlord’s deer. To avoid the punishment of losing both ears or a hand, he joined a band of outlaws whose goal was the overthrow the Norman landlords.

Trease, Geoffrey. Escape to King Alfred The setting is England in the 800s when King Alfred fought the invading Danes to prepare the foundation for a unified England in which he would foster freedom, humanity, & a love of learning

Trevino, Elizabeth Borton de. I, Juan de Pareja The setting is Spain in the 1600s. Juan de Pareja was born a slave and died an accomplished and respected artist. AR: 6.5, Lexile: 1100

Wallace, Lew. Ben-Hur A romantic story of Palestine & Rome in the time of Jesus. Crusades. AR: 9.1, Lexile: 990

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

Webb, Robert.We were there with Richard the Lionhearted in the Crusades. Two young boys, Guy and Gladwyn, share in the adventures of Richard the Lionhearted as they go on the Third Crusade.

Wheeler, Thomas G. All Men Tall The year is 1323. 15-yr.-old Thomeline will soon take part in one of the most momentous events of all time: the discovery of gunpowder. Intriguing characters in this novel include Queen Isabella, plotting revenge against her husband, Edward II; Mortimer the traitor making his famous escape from the Tower of London; and young Edward III taking the throne and later daring to use the new weapons against the French.

Willard, Barbara. The Iron Lily Orphaned in 1557 by the plague and disowned by her “brother’s” widow, who claims she is not true kin of the family, 15-yr.-old Lilas begins a lifelong attempt to identify her true parentage.

Williams, Laura E. Executioner’s Daughter 13-yr.-old Lily, daughter of the town’s executioner living in the 15th-centruy Europe, decides whether to fight against her destiny or to rise above her fate when she is about to become her father’s assistant. AR: 5.5, Lexile: 720

Wise, William. Nell of Branford Hall NellBullen recounts the horror of the Great London Plague in 1665 and the “Circle of Death” that was drawn around her village to keep the disease from spreading to the neighboring towns. AR: 7.0, Lexile: 1090

Yep, Laurence. Lady of Ch’iaoKuo: Warrior of the South Southern China, A.D. 531 In 531 A.D., a fifteen-year-old princess of the Hsien tribe in southern China keeps a diary which describes her role as liaison between her own people and the local Chinese colonists, in times of both peace and war. This is one of the “Royal Diaries series”. AR: 5.3, Lexile: 700

Yolen, Jane. Queen’s Own Fool : a novel of Mary, Queen of Scots When 12-yr.-old Nicola leaves Troupe Brufort & serves as the fool for Mary, Queen of Scots, she experiences the political & religious upheavals in both France & Scotland. AR: 6.0, Lexile:650

SC/Kim. Sword of the Samurai: Adventure Stories from Japan 11 short stories about samurai warriors, their way of life, courage, wit & foolishness. AR 4.6

37. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

I haven't read that, so I have no idea how they'd compare, but Time of the Witches by Anna Myers is awesome! It's Lexile is 690, recommended for grades 7 and up; ages 12-17.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Witches-Anna-Myers/dp/0802798209/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403221743&sr=8-1&keywords=time+of+the+witches

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2014

Whoa.

I'm not "worried" about how you incorporate novels into your curriculum. I was suggesting that you focus on your school and district's requirements, because those are what you agreed to do when you accepted your job, and not on your grad program's requirements. It may be true that both your school/district and grad program overlap in their requirements, in which case great. That isn't always true though, which is why I made the suggestion I did. I don't recall you specifying that your grad program is meant to work in conjunction with your school district and that programs overlap. Most of the time, grad programs and local districts work independently from each other and requirements for one are not the same as requirements for another.

Honestly your response to me is super rude, given that I was just trying to help.

And to answer your other question which I quoted above (and I have no idea whether you're being facetious or serious), you might. In my district I would absolutely need to get novels, documentaries, and films pre-approved by my admin. But hey, I don't want you to think I'm all concerned about your success in the classroom or whether you can manage to keep a job or not, so feel free to continue to be rude about my response here.

Deuces.

39. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

40. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2014

:yeahthat:
    I was worried about the same thing. I am planning a similar path, but I've been meeting regularly with my Principal to go over ideas. It's great that your program works with the district. That wouldn't be the case where I work. Good luck to you. I'm done here.

41. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

Welcome. :) She also wrote Spy. It's about the Revolutionary War.
    It's Lexile is 710; reading grades 5 and up; ages 10-14. It's really good, but might be a little slow moving for your 7th graders. She writes a lot of good historical fiction novels, but I think only Spy and Time of the Witches fit in the time period you are teaching.

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Anna-Myers/dp/0802797423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403222714&sr=8-1&keywords=spy+by+anna+myers