Things are getting rough

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ssgirl11, Mar 6, 2020.

1. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 6, 2020

Just curious, has anybody noticed their schools getting rougher? I work in a supposedly "good" school district. Our test scores have been great, we have had pretty good kids. This year, it seems like we have had more suspensions, expulsions, drugs, and fights than ever before. Kid's home lives are a just a mess with drugs and neglect. Is this just a "my school" thing, or an "everywhere" thing?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2020

Yes. Rough is an understatement this year.

Things have seriously changed.

There has been a huge increase in social-emotional issues that I do not feel equipped to handle.

mrsf70, Tired Teacher and nstructor like this.
  4. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 6, 2020

Agree 100%! Even if I was trained, I still don’t know if I could handle it. This definitely wasn’t what I signed up for when I got my degree.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 6, 2020

It comes and goes. We had a fantastic group of kids last year. This year, not so much. We have a high number of kids being raised by people other than their parents. There are issues with drugs and poverty. Some have better coping skills.

ssgirl11 and mrsf70 like this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 6, 2020

Yes, it has been over a few year's time, things have changed drastically here.
    At 1x, we were the most sought after district in the state. There were up to 500-600 certified teachers who'd apply for 1 elementary opening about 15 yrs ago.
    Now there were 7 teacher openings in our district DURING the school yr, all from the same area. ( Not exactly sure why, but can guess.)
    Some kids have reached an all time level of crazy here. Then the schools exempt them from any correction due to what is often just the disability of never being told , "No!" in their lives.

1 thing I have seen an increase in is grandparents raising their grandkids. They obviously did not do too good of a job raising their own kids to be productive members of society. It has become so bad here, that "I'm out" soon. It makes me wonder, "Who will the drs, police, nurses, we may need in our old age. Scary thought!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 8, 2020

I don’t know that family life has gotten worse at my school but coping skills certainly have. We have students saying they’re being bullied, and parents wondering what we’re doing about it, over the most ridiculous situations that are definitely not bullying. More and more students each year also seem to view adult directions as optional rather than mandatory, and when you bring it up to parents they’re not supportive or they back up the kids. I’ve also had more parents demanding explanations for assignments and rules that shouldn’t have to be justified. Definitely seeing more lawnmower parents than ever before. Honestly they (not the students) make me want to quit teaching!

It does seem like maybe our families’ average income has gone down. I used to be able to ask for any supply, such as Kleenex or glue, and I’d have a boatload by the next day. Now I’m lucky if I get a few items. I’m not sure whether it’s busy schedules or lack of income. Parents are less involved in the school community and classroom.

8. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 8, 2020

I’ve noticed the grandparent thing too! It’s so sad.
    At my school, and I would imagine at most schools, we either have a lawnmower parent whose kid can do no wrong, or the parent who’s kid is struggling and won’t even come in when asked for a conference.
    I’ve also noticed the income thing here as well. This year, our district has taken donations and gave each student supplies, rather than having a list for them to go out and buy. If that weren’t the case, I know several students wouldn’t show up with supplies. I’ve always been blessed to be financially stable, so this is hard for me to wrap my head around. Even if you don’t have much money, you can find cheap school supplies? It frustrates me that people aren’t interested in setting their children up for success.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 8, 2020

This is 1 I have noticed too over the yrs. The word " bully" gets thrown around a lot. I always show them the meaning in the dictionary when they say something like someone was bullying them by not letting them play with them 1 day at recess. Usually, they get it quickly. Their parents usually need to see the dictionary too, but I refrain. :)

10. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 8, 2020

Well, springtime is here, and everyone knows what that means........

11. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 8, 2020

JUST had this conversation last week with a teacher with 25+ years of experience. The accusation "bullying" is as misused as "racist". Both are flagrantly and impulsively used to describe someone who has just disagreed with them, so they label the other person to emphasize how offended they are, and now they want justice in their favor. Ridiculous.
    "Agree to disagree" is not part of the contemporary student's credo.

12. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Mar 9, 2020

I blame it all on PBIS

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 11, 2020

Pure Bull in Schools? :)
    I didn't like the way PBIS was implemented here either, but schools have gotten where they will do anything to keep parents happy for awhile now and PBIS was a "feel good" program to keep parents from complaining to the schools, I think.
    We never had any consequence other than positive reinforcement w/ PB. You could act as bad as you wanted and you, too, could celebrate! I am thinking there has to be more to PBIS than what we used.
    There are exceptions, but it seems each generation of parents, are getting crazier and crazier about their children's happiness at the moment.
    They don't think of delayed gratification or how learning to deal w/ small disappointments and perceived injustices as a child, will help them cope w/ big issues as adults.
    I know I am seeing a small corner of the world, but the kids who grow up to have decent lives here are very much in the minority now. I am always happy to run into someone who is now employed and not drugged out.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 11, 2020

Kids here do not have the vocabulary to express what they want to say specifically and resort to basic words they've heard being tossed around. It is hard to get 4th graders to quit using the words "nice, good, and kind."
    A reading passage could be all about how someone helped others in many ways throughout their lifetime. ( The answer to my Q might just be helpful, but I get the word nice as an answer until halfway through a year. )
    The same goes when they read about a philanthropist's life. They read about a person who gives a lot of their money and time. So...………..they too are nice. GRRR They get to generous eventually, but it is hard.
    Parents are not spending enough time talking to their kids anymore. I know some are working hard to just survive, some are too stoned, but others have gotten so used to having everything now on credit that they neglect their kids.
    They'd be better off in a smaller house, with only 1 car, without internet IF a parent was paying attention to their kids.

Guitart likes this.
  15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 11, 2020

I hear you about vocab.
    I teach a lesson on critique and vocab to 2nd. They learn what critique means but we refer to it as sharing our art at this age. We have an art show and each student has to leave one compliment and one suggestion on anyone's artwork, using the vocabulary of art in a complete sentence. I have sentence examples - they plug in the word. Example:
    I like how you used ____________ on _____________. (Warm colors/sunset)
    Did you think about using ___________ to ____________. (curved lines/show movement)
    Otherwise, kids would only say, "Your picture is awesome!" or "That sucks!"

BTW - I hate the word "sucks" in class. I tell my students to choose a better adjective and give examples. "Sucks" does not give details to help a young artist to improve.

MrTempest and Tired Teacher like this.
  16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 11, 2020

Mine don't even know awesome, but they do know if something sucks. I guess it is what they hear at home! Kind of sad! That is a good (haha) way to show your kids how to use art vocabulary. :)

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 12, 2020

"Sucks" is not an adjective--it's a verb.

18. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 12, 2020

You are right! Thanks for the correction. I get so used to the tattling something like, "He said I made an ugly picture." I come back with "use a better word" or "pick a better adjective". I better stick with saying "word" or some bright kid is going to correct me too.

I am in a small, rural district and the "rough" I have seen lately is from kids that transfer from urban/bigger districts. They come with a story like "we're living with (relative) for a while" or mom's new b/f.

19. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Mar 13, 2020

I don't let my fourth graders use the word "sucks." They commonly want to use it, and I regularly hear, "c#$%" too. These are middle-high income kiddos from mostly stable families.

The word I am hearing a lot now is "targeted." Like, "He targeted me during the basketball game and kept me from getting the ball," or "That EA targets us every day because she doesn't like boys." Those are fun conversations. The kids put up a wall and don't want to think about what I am telling them.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 13, 2020

OMGoodness! I am so through w/ the word "targeted" too! It is way over used here.

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 14, 2020

The dumbing down of vocabulary in the American society has been happening for a long time. Low vocabulary doesn't always mean neglect. It may just be the parents do not have a high level vocabulary. In the past, lacking vocabulary was increased by schools, movies, books, etc. Now books have dumbed down their vocabulary so they will be purchased, schools often abandoned much of the vocabulary instruction and using dumbed down books so students have even less of a chance of an increased vocabulary. Even newspaper articles are now written at a much lower reading level because people no longer have the ability to understand the vocabulary in higher level articles.

This is a societal issue, not just neglect.

Backroads likes this.
  22. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 14, 2020

Sometimes this all reminds me of the book Fahrenheit 451. So many parallels to today’s society! For those that haven’t read it... the book basically talks about a world where all of this just gets worse, until there are no books at all.

23. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 14, 2020

I can't help but thinking the movie "Idiocracy" is closer to our future than we care to admit.

..and we have not progressed much since Orson Wells 1930's radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  24. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 14, 2020

I find myself thinking of Idiocracy a lot these days! I watched it again a few months ago and was scarily impressed at the similarities.

25. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 16, 2020

OMG, reading Fahrenheit 451 right now! I was just thinking this. I actually had to put the book down for a few days because of everything going on, haha. Life right now feels like a dystopian novel.