They took it away

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Jun 2, 2014.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 2, 2014

Am I crazy . . .

At my school, I have been running my theatre program for nine years---I built it up from the bottom. I do everything with the help of students and parents. I have 14 years of theatre ed experience, plus 20 years of professional/community theatre experience. I have connections all over our area with local theatre groups that helps me brings guests, etc. into the program. I am certified to teach theatre and have a degree in theatre. I got a glowing evaluation, and have every year I've been here, with my comments always being about my dedication to the theatre program. My principals have seen my shows this year (for the first time in years) and have had nothing but good to say.

And then, they decided to interview for the position, and gave it to the other candidate--who happens to be a friend of their's from their old school.

Now, I don't know the reasons yet--my P will tell me today, but I can't for the life of me see any reason why. Perhaps she is more qualified, but I don't see how that's possible since she's younger than me.

I am just in shock!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2014

Apparently it is time to move on?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 2, 2014

That is absolutely awful. I am so sorry.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2014

I hope you have a union. I'm no expert, but there has to be some reason they can just interview for your position. Are you being nonrenewed?

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 2, 2014

Honestly, if they did that to me, I'd be gone in September.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 2, 2014

Yes, I would not stay around after that. Whatever reason they give you, it isn't going to be good enough or make you feel better. They clearly don't respect you as a teacher, and you deserve better than that.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 2, 2014

That's absolutely horrible. :( I'm so sorry.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2014

I am so sorry. It sounds like you were doing everything right. I'd be tempted to leave this afternoon....

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 2, 2014

Are you the drama teacher? Are there now going to be 2 teachers? Or have you been replaced? Did they take your JOB away from you or just the running of the program? I'd be hurt either way, but I was just a bit confused by what happened. Do you still have a job next year?

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 2, 2014

It sounds like she built it up as an extracurricular activity until the school decided to make it a school position, at which point it was assigned to a new teacher. What a rotten thing to do.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2014

:(
    I'd go polish up my resume....

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 2, 2014

If you bought anything for the dept out of your pocket, I'd go take it back.

14. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jun 2, 2014

Oh my gosh. :eek:hmy: I am so, so sorry. :(

:hugs:

15. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 2, 2014

Agreed. I'd be taking everything back, from the scripts to the gaff tape.

16. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 6, 2014

An update

Well, i do have a job, just teaching English instead of theatre. I was told that she got it because she interviewed better. I've heard all kinds of stuff that is different than what my P told me about her. My kids and parents are livid and are fighting a good fight. I am taking everything that I paid for this weekend. I can't believe that I have been totally dismissed.

17. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 6, 2014

I really hate this for you. Who cares how the other person interviewed! You've been "interviewing" for 9 years, and the proof is in the pudding! What a weak excuse.

Silver lining: at least the students and parents are total behind you.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

Agreed!

How frustrating. :( I would have a difficult time continuing to teach there.

19. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jun 6, 2014

Reading that made me feel sick :(

I don't quite understand why there was an interview, but I suppose that is insignificant now.

I agree... take everything & anything that you paid for! I also would have a hard time continuing at that school as well.

P.S. Having the students & parents behind you speaks volumes (although definitely doesn't make the situation easier).

20. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 6, 2014

they probably want you to teach English because its a harder position to fill than theatre. will you still be teaching english at that schooL?

21. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 7, 2014

I don't see why that would be true.

Regardless, that's a terrible way to treat you and I'm very sorry it happened.

22. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 7, 2014

English teachers are a dime a dozen. I should know; I interviewed with enough of them :lol:

Theater is definitely harder to fill if you're looking for someone with experience!

23. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2014

True, but English teachers are a necessity, theater is not.

OP, it could help you in the future to be able to say that you have taught English recently if you ever want to leave your current school.

24. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 7, 2014

Why the (BLEEP BLEEP) did anyone get interviewed for a job you were already doing? I am so sorry to hear this. man oh man, GROWL! So sorry to hear they are losing such an enthusiastic talent at that school. And YES, take EVERYTHING that is yours.

25. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2014

This happens all the time in teaching, especially once Admin decides that they want to let someone go or move the person to another position.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 7, 2014

That is definitely true. In Ohio English teachers are licensed to teach drama, journalism, etc... It is just one license, so we are lucky. Some districts have cut theater programs but kept the teachers for English.

27. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 7, 2014

So the OP is an English teacher who was doing Drama on the side. If the school actually hired a drama TEACHER, then it would suck, but make sense. That's the situation I'm in. I'm a history teacher who runs the Drama "department" because Drama is not offered as a class. I know that if they ever hired an actual Drama teacher, no matter how long I've done it, they would take the Drama department away from me.

If they just gave it to someone else who also doesn't teach Drama, then that's just really weird.

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2014

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you :(

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 9, 2014

I would be pretty peeved about this also. It sounds like they did it just because of who this person knew an not as a reflection of your quality of work. Take the next year to sit back and watch this unqualified person do a crummy job. This time next year they will be begging for you to take the job back.

30. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 10, 2014

I don't see how being bitter and vindictive will help.

Take your personal things home. Focus on teaching English (you probably still get some of your English students to do skits for certain books/ plays you read in class). Wish the new teacher the best and step back and see if they made a good or bad choice. The teacher might be great.

If you can't get past the hurt, I would recommend looking for a job in a different school