They say he is my challenge student.. but i can't help but disagree

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by peridotylayne, Sep 3, 2007.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I'm a first-year teacher of 16 4th graders. I'm the only self-contained 4th grade class at my school (out of 15 total) and I have this student who is driving me absolutely CRAZY. I really do feel bad for the kid, but I'm at a complete loss and it's only the end of week 1.

Let me explain the situation some more. I have 4 ADHD students in my class, one of which has not taken meds in god knows how long. He's suppose to be on them but his mother keeps coming up with excuses about why he doesn't have them, blah blah blah. He is EXTREMELY disruptive, constantly chews on things (pen caps, eats erasers and spits them out in the trash can, eats paper) he also moves constantly .. and not the tolerable movement, but the i'm going to get up and walk around and dance while you're teaching a lesson kind of movement. He has made sexually inappropriate comments to another student in my class (not while in my class however) and has physically threatened another student (also in my class, but not while in class) among other students on campus. The principal has pretended to call the police (at which point the student started to cry) and has told me he won't be allowed to come to school if he is not on his medication. On Thursday he took his medication at school around 10:30 when the mother was phoned at work and was told he needed to be picked up if he was not on medication. She drove 45 minutes from work to give him his "last" pill. She was then told about the principals decision of not letting him be at school if he is not on medication. Well, the next day (Friday) he was not on medication.. AGAIN. I tried to keep him in class as long as I possibly could.. and I held out until about 3:00 (school ends at 3:35). I probably should've sent him to the office right when he started being disruptive.. but I wanted to see if I could work with him. The principal and counselor tried getting ahold of his mother ALL DAY to send him home, but she never answered the phone.

I have NO IDEA what to do with this student and I really hate to say this, but I don't want him in my class.

What should I do???:dunno:

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

document, document, document. Keep written records of exactly what happens and when it happens. It does sound like you have the support of your administration, which is helpful. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you can do, or what sort of restrictions you have to follow. Hopefully things will get better for you and for this student.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

I agree that you should be documenting everything! It's a good thing that the administration is behind you on this one. If he has trouble with chewing on objects, maybe you can give him some sugarfree gum instead(?). If he has problems staying in his seat, maybe you can give him little "jobs" to do that allow him to move around. I read another post on here that suggested sending a note to another teacher with that student. The note could say "This student really needed to get out of the room for a little bit. Thanks." Of course let the other teacher know that you might be doing this. I hope this helps.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

Document, because it may seriously save you in the end. Documentations can get him in the right placement. He may not be regular ed. He could very well possibly have different accomodations and shouldn't have been in your room in the first place. And if he's making comments that sexually harrass another student, he should AT LEAST have ISS- and he may be removed from your room in the long run. Also, he is not on meds and some of these actions CANNOT be controlled. That is a detrimental situation to deal with- and hopefully the best can be done for him, his parents, you, and the remainder of your class.

6. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I agree as well with the documentation. I would also definitely take the administrators up on their word. You were a saint for trying to give him a chance in your classroom without going to the office. Kids like these can be highly disruptive to the learning enviornment of the other students, and that simply is not fair. I'm sorry I may sound rude, but I don't think you should have to put up with that behavior and the student needs to be placed where he can thrive without wrecking the learning for everyone else.
    This is a very tender subject for me. You want to give them a chance, but you also have to consider the other 15 students in your classroom. I was in a very similar situation a few years ago with a 2nd grader. That's another thing...this is 4th grade!! That's just unacceptable behavior for that age. I could see Kinder/1st or maybe even 2nd, but not 4th. In my case, the students behaviors were not asdisruptive as this one, and I had parents going to the principal complaining that they did not want their child in the same room as the disruptive kid. When other parents start complaining, administrators get really serious. So if I were you, as soon as he gets to your room in the morning pull him aside privately ask if he took his meds before school, let him know what happens if he does'nt and if not, off to the office he goes. It's not fair for you to have prepared lessons and you cannot teach and the other stundets can't learn. I mean isn't that why we have Special Education? I cannot understand why regular ed. teachers have the sole responsibility for ALL children. There is in inclusion which does seem effective and then there's kids who truly cannot be included with others, I apologize for my harshness, but I'm speaking from experience in this area. Take care!:love:

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 3, 2007

I would ask the parent to come in to shadow the student for a day.

I don't think the principal can require the child be medicated (actually I thought that was illegal, but I may be wrong.)

I feel for you.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

They can't.

9. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Sep 7, 2007

Good News!!

After speaking with the principal every day last week, along with the counselor and the assistan principal.. and the nurse on one occasion, I finally got the situation taken care of (for the time being). My principal made a home visit Friday afternoon at 5:30 to tell this child's mom that she HAS to get the situation taken care of or he would not be allowed at school. Needless to say, come Tuesday morning (we were off on Monday for Labor Day) he had his medication in the nurse's office. There is SUCH a huge difference in behavior it's absolutely astonishing.:wow:

I think I might have to raise a few concerns about him having to wait until AFTER breakfast (8:15) to take his medication. He got into a fight with another student in my class before school started (they wait in the gym). He wound up in the principal's office.. the other student was in the nurse until 8:45. :mad:

Thanks for all the comments. I have been documenting EVERYTHING, but fortunately I haven't had much to write down this week.

Getting off subject: Does anyone know what to do with kids that are.. just plain spacey??? :confused: