They said what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

A group of our 4th graders have started playing frisbee at recess. We have 4 and they all play together, so there's frisbee flying everywhere and they just catch whatever one comes there way. Today one of our normally quiet one dove for a frisbee, missed, and hit the ground. As he hit, I heard, "well sh#t!" I wasn't sure who was more shocked, me or him. He instantly hopped up and started apologizing. Then he hung his head and told me he'd eat some soap when we went in if I wanted him, too. I managed to keep a straight face and told him it was ok and I knew he didn't mean to. ::rolleyes: it was a laugh I needed.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 1, 2013

Ha!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Christy...the soap thing is so funny.
    I had cousins that were little and their mom would put a little if they said something wrong the youngest like1 1/2 or 2 said something and the older like 2-3 took the younger and put soap in the other one's mouth. LOL!!!

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 1, 2013

On Friday, I was teaching a class of 10th graders about the Boston Tea Party. Apparently this one student made it to the age of 15 without EVER hearing about this event because she found it absolutely hysterical! She was just dying laughing at the idea of all of this tea being dumped in the harbor (She was laughing so much, I even checked her pupils just in case! :p)

I asked the class "What message were the Sons of Liberty trying to send to the King of England?" and the laughing student called out "F&$# yo' tea!" The entire class just lost it. After everyone calmed down, I just said "Well, less vulgarly, but yes, that's the general idea." It was certainly the highlight of the day in the teacher's lounge. :p

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Eat soap...love it! Haha.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

Let's just say that my son knows the taste of soap.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 2, 2013

Soap stopped my daughter from saying that word. ;) One time did it.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 2, 2013

And all along, they're thinking:

"Yikes! This Ivory bar tastes like $h#t!"

;)

10. Tim89

Tim89 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

Soap??? Don't you think it's too much?

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 2, 2013

Tim89... I don't know how old you are but back in the days, kids used to get their mouth washed out with soap. You may not believe in doing that to your child's foul mouth, but others might. This is not going to turn into an argument about whether or not to use soap. It was just a post on what her kid said after he said a bad word.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

Christy~that's funny!!

I had a student last year that dropped the F-bomb in a class I was in. As soon as it was out of his mouth, he looked up at me with this look on his face. It took everything I had not to laugh at his look...he started apologizing profusely, and said he would never do it again. He didn't!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 2, 2013

Thankfully, the worst I've had were students saying something sucked. On the other hand, I played the first two verses of "Ironic" (to show there was no irony) and they freaked out over the line, "He waited his whole **** life to take that flight." We had a quick discussion on that, deciding that if it was okay in the artistic context but not in classroom conversation.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 2, 2013

LOL. That hasn't happened so far, knock on wood. My own son got in trouble in 4th grade a couple of years ago when he song with the word "b*tch" in it was popular and he and his friend wrote it on a piece of paper.

15. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 4, 2013

Wondering where the goody two shoes is who reported my post because I used the f word. Well, I only used the f in the f word and ***** the rest out. My post got deleted. I've seen at least 5 posts since then with curse words. Lady must be taking a few days off. :whistle:

Your story is funny. Thanks for sharing.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 4, 2013

What post are you talking about? I did a quick scan of your posts and didn't see a moderated one.

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 5, 2013

I didn't see one either.

18. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 5, 2013

Funny story! My mom used to carry a bar of soap and black pepper in her bag....for my brother of course

19. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 5, 2013

They deleted it. It was the one titled, "WTF is wrong with NC?"

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

:lol: I got Ivory soap in the mouth once. I still refuse to buy it!

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 5, 2013

I see it now, I wasn't looking at posts you started. I'm not the moderator who removed your post, but I would imagine it was not only the word you deleted, but the wtf in the title.

Chebrutta, I never had the pleasure (the threat as all it took lol). My best friend, though, had to brush her teeth with Ivory dish washing liquid. I still laugh when I think of her story about it. Lol

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

:lol: Christy, that was the problem... I was about 5, telling my grandma all the new words my cousin had taught me in Italian... which, of course, I didn't know what the words meant. Next thing I know, my dad is hauling me down the stairs to the sink and scrubbing my mouth out for talking to his mother that way.

I definitely learned not to listen to my older cousins, that's for sure!

23. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 5, 2013

My parents were more laid back about the cussing, but I used to get the soap for biting! Apparently I was that horrible child in day care all mothers fear. :p