They kept my portfolio is that a good or bad sign?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by abequette, Jun 18, 2007.

1. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

I finally got an interview at the school that I have dreamed of teaching at for the past several years, and what's even better is that they only interviewed two of us for the position. I know this because I live right across the street from this school and I was looking out for my competition. I noticed that as the girl before me left she still had her portfolio in hand as she walked out the door. However at the end of my interview the principal asked if she could keep my portfolio. The principal also told me that they would have their decision the first part of this week. I have sat by my phone all day with my heart skipping a beat everytime it rings, but still don't know anyhing. What do all of you think, was it good or bad that they kept my portfolio? And is there anything else I should do to help land my dream job? Please help me I am going out of my mind with anticipation.

3. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jun 18, 2007

I think it sounds like a great sign! Especially since the other candidate still had hers. Best of luck to you. I am currently waiting to see if I land a 2nd grade position at my "dream" school, too. I know the feeling! Keep us posted.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

Congratulations on the interview! I would think that it is a good thing if they kept your portfolio. Make sure that you send a thank you/follow-up letter to the interviewers. Give 'em a few days and then call back if you don't hear from them by Wednesday. Good luck...

5. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

Sounds great! I had an administrator ask to keep my portfolio in the past and I got the job, so it's definately a good sign.

6. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

I think it is a good sign. The principal that offered me a job took the time to look through mine and complimented me a lot on it. I think it will show them what you can do. Good luck!

7. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Well so today is Tuesday, half the day is over, but I still have not received a phone call of any kind. I am going out of my mind worring about this job. She told me I would know something by the first part of this week. Do you think it would hurt anything if I called this afternoon just to see where they were at? Or should I wait and call tomorrow morning? Or should I wait even longer. I don't think they realize how insane they are making me.....or either they just don't care. Anyways....please help. What should I do?

8. Der Herr

Der Herr Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I think they would have to give it back to you sometime, and more than likely they wouldn't want to have to say "sorry you didn't get the job, here's your portfolio." :)

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 19, 2007

First off congrats. :) Second, where in Ky? I am originally from Kentucky and ended up moving here to get a public school position due to the tight market in my area of the state. Third, if she asked to keep the portfolio then it is definitely a good sign. She was interested in the information or you would have left with the portfolio. As far as her not calling principals get busy and have unexpected meetings come up give her until tomorrow.

10. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Did you offer your portfolio first? Because maybe the other girl forgot to. But at any rate, it is still a good sign! Did you send a follow-up letter? Congrats and good luck!

11. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I am in Western KY. Just South of Paducah about 10 minutes from the TN state line. Also to answer another additional question when I walked into the interview I told them that I had brought my portfolio with me in case any of them would like to look at it and then placed it on the principal's desk. Then at the end of the interview she asked me if I minded if she kept it and so I of course said no that I could walk back across the street anytime and get it (this school is literally in my fron yard). My duaghter also goes to school here, and I did some of my practicum work, as well as my student teaching there. I also subbed in this school of and on for the past year and a half. Which I know that all sounds good but the other girl did her student teaching there as well so.......I don't know....I am just losing my mind waiting to hear from her. The more time that goes by the more I feel like I didn't get the job.

12. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Also I sent a thank you email to the principal yesterday....is there anything else I can do???

13. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Send a thank you letter, in which you reiterate your good points (i.e. why you are the best candidate).

14. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

I think you're doing what I did. You are expecting to hear from them at the exact time they tell you. When I interviewed for the job I got, he told me he would have made his decision by the end of that week or by the beg. of the next week. Well the end of the week came and went and I thought ok I still have a couple of more days. Mon. and Tues. went by and I had given up hope, but got the call on Wed. Just keep in mind that they're busy and they cant always stick to what they say. I know it's hard..trust me..but try to get your mind off of it.

15. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I also waited MUCH longer than expected to receive the phone call offering me a job! Don't give up hope!

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

Wow we were almost neighbors and didn't know it :) I am originally from Sturgis and went to school @ Murray State. I loved living in Kentucky but like I said the job market was almost nil (I was only able to get into private schools which pay a lot less). There were people still teaching that were there when I went to elementary school there. I relocated here to Georgia and it's been great. Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

17. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Well.....I just got a phone call from the principal and I didn't get the job. She said they hired the other girl that went before me (you know the one that they didn't keep her portfolio). I don't know, I give up. I am done trying to find a teaching job. I have applied at every school in a 60 miles radius in the past two years and still haven't gotten a job. I give up....I really don't see the point in trying anymore because they are always going to hire somebody that knows somebody more important than you do. Does anybody know any other good fields to go into that do have a lot of open positions.

18. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 20, 2007

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job. Please don't give up! I know that is an immediate feeling after getting rejected, but take a break, relax and hopefully you'll feel better in a day or two. Hang in there!