They found the mouse.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sarypotter, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

You know, the one that's been stinking up our classroom since SEPTEMBER but that nobody could find?

The refrigerator went out in our classroom kitchen. When they got in the back of it to repair it, guess what they found?

Yeah.

Ew.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 10, 2008

GAG!!!!

I caught one the other day and someone else caught one, too, but we STILL HAVE A MOUSE IN THE HOUSE!!

I set another trap. Here's hoping we'll get'em!!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2008

yuck. That's all I have to say.

I'm glad they found it though. Can you imagine what it would smell like in june?

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2008

If you have mice, you really should put out the "food" that's really poison. They take the food back to the nest, wherever that is, and it eliminates the nest. We had some mice in our kitchen about 6 months ago and it took care of it after about 3 or 4 days.

6. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I was pretty grossed out last week.

There was a mouse running around the cafeteria. And it wasn't some tiny field mouse. It was pretty fat. I can handle a lot. . .but not mice.

7. riggit

riggit Rookie

Dec 11, 2008

I have a mouse that keeps running across my false ceiling. He only does it though during my prep periods when my room is quiet. Can't wait to catch the critter!

8. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

A male friend came to visit, my husband went to bed and we stayed up talking. Then we saw a mouse and it was time to play catch. He wanted to hit it with a shoe, I preferred the bucket method. We trapped it under the bucket and our friend asked for a plastic bag. Why? I asked, because he was going to put it in the bag and smash it on the tiled floor!!! I couldn't look, I imagined blood, guts and gore all splattered in the plastic bag. He raised his arm and hit the mouse on the floor. The bag burst and the mouse ran out!! I went to bed and husband asked what I'd been doing till 1 am with our friend - catching a mouse was the reply!

About a week later a funny smell appeared. The mouse had not ran out the laundry door but had crawled under the washing machine becuase that was where the smell was coming from. I pulled the washing machine out but no mouse. The dead mouse was stuck to the bottom of the machine!!! My husband was away on business and I had to ask a friend's husband to tilt the machine while I scraped the mouse off it!!

And yes, I also have mice in my classroom (we are next to a vegetable farm) but no plastic bags, just poison in a cupboard where the children cannot reach.

9. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Dec 12, 2008

The poison does work...but then you have to find them when they die in the house! The smell is terrible!!!

10. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Dec 12, 2008

We're not allowed to use the poison at our school!

The good news is we did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this November, and we got several hundred collective words out of the mouse sightings we've had! The whole book has ended up being titled "I Smell A Rat: Stories of Sparky the Mouse."

:)

One of my students has a GREAT sense of humor, by the way. She does not speak. She thought the mouse was the FUNNIEST thing ever, but she was not able to tell her family about it.

They were cleaning out their house, and she rescued a mouse-shaped serving tray from the thrift store pile and insisted that it must come to school. Her mother e-mailed me, bewildered, saying her daughter was adamant about bringing the mouse tray to us.

When I asked the student if the mouse tray was her idea of a joke, she almost fell over laughing, pointing at the freezer where the mouse was found. What a funny girl!

11. Rockys_Mom

Rockys_Mom Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

I just love the sense of humor my students have! I have a blind student who seems to be able to chime in at just the right time. He parrots phrases he's heard before and the other morning we were talking about a new shirt I had bought and was wearing. One of my para's goes "do you like it?" and from across the room he goes "BLECHHHH" Obviously can't see the shirt. The 3 of us just burst out laughing. It's pretty priceless.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2008

We found a tiny, dead mouse in the closet I shared with another teacher. It had nested inside a stuffed animal. The smell was pretty bad, but the poor little thing looked so cute....

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2008

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! but... thank goodness they FINALLY found it.:thumb: