They don't stay in their centers!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lotusblossom, Oct 6, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Oct 6, 2007

I have kids grouped by ability and needs to make it easier for me to arrange centers... but many kids drift over toward their closer friends and play in the "wrong" center - should I let it go? Or keep herding them to their assigned center? Does this happen w/ anyone else?

3. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

I always tell my kids they have to stay where I put them. I have 23 kids and many of them like to be loud, pushy, and a little to hyperactive. If I don't force them to stay put my play time would be crazy. Plus putting them in different spots every day gives them a chance to further develop their skills in the different areas, even if it's as simple as drawing, or puzzles. I have kids that would play with magnetics everyday if I let them, I prefere they try something else.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 6, 2007

Let them know ahead of time that the expectation is that they will stay at their center. keep sending them back and if need be implement a consequence for repeat offenders (like sitting at their desk for a short time while others our at centers)
    I used this last year when I had wonderers and it worked like a charm. One time at their desk and they always stayed put!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

Definitely don't let it go. It has to be taught.

Do you also have some time where they can have a free choice of centers? Once a week or so in my class they get to choose. And every week I mix up the groups for the assigned centers. That helps because they get to work with a variety of students and sometimes closer friends do end up together.

6. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Oct 6, 2007

I also try to mix up the groups so they get a chance to work with everyone. I had your problem at the beginning of the year so i now use a timer. It took a couple of days of rehearsal etc., but they have it now! It is nice. At certain centers they must stay until the timer rings. If I know that a particular center doesn't take much time, I set up another activity at the carpet area. When kids are at that certain center they can go to the rug when they finish. Seems to be working!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2007

I change groups once a week and on Fridays we spend much of the day in centers that they choose for themselves (if all of their work is done). If they ar repeatedly out of their assigned center, they do seat work for a short period and then try again. I haven't had a problem so far except for complaints about the center they are assigned to (to which I reply that they may sit at their table and do worksheets if they would rather :lol:

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2007

Yes, keep them in their groups. There are other times they can be with other friends, on the carpet, at lunch in the cafeteria, and outside play. I hesitated about herding them back to their own center, but not for long. You need it to keep structure when you have a lot of students. :)

9. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Oct 7, 2007

Is there any other way to do this other than ability grouping? You might want to check into that since the research has shown this is not best practice. It might help you to in the fact that you will have some leaders in your group that can help the kids stay more focused. It is really hard for a 5 year old to see their "friends" across the room and not get into some sort of mischeif!:lol:
    My stations are totally mixed and the kids who need more always have something to do when they are done.

10. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Oct 10, 2007

I do mixed ability groups in everything else. I know it isn't "best practice" but as a first year teacher (with, ahem, 2 days to prepare for my job!) it makes it VASTLY easier for me to differentiate centers. For instance, I have 2 kids at each center. Having 2 kids work on writing their names seems better than one who is ready to write sentences and a partner who can't write the first letter of their name yet.

Just wanting to make sure everyone knows the 1st year teacher isn't out there doing a bad job ;-)

Thanks for ALL the tips, lots of good ones in here and I think I should be able to solve the problem easily enough :)

11. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Oct 11, 2007

I use baskets that rotate to their table. That was they are limited in how much they can move. After they finish their basket job they get to chose a red basket (RED=STOP!) that they must take somewhere in the room and do until I tell them to either stop or rotate depends on the purpose and the day. By the way the 1st basket is Green=GO! I've foudn that the color coded baskets work excellent for me because I can not stand that chaos that comes from rotating etc. I've tried it and it just doesn't work for my teaching personality.

12. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 23, 2007

My kids know that if I have to talk to them about their centers behavior once, it's a warning. The second time they have to sit at their seat until we switch centers again...

It may seem harsh, but I do this two or three times and I don't have a problem again.

Kel :)