They don't recognize letters...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderMissN, Nov 4, 2007.

1. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I have a few children in my class who are not recognizing their letters. I have tried flashcards, starfall.com, kinesthetic activities (making letters with playdough)-- does anyone have any tips on fun ways to get them recognizing letters?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2007

Maybe give them more kinesthetic opportunities....shaving cream on the desk, gluing beans onto an outline of the letter.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 5, 2007

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 5, 2007

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a similar problem :) I'm also glad that there were sites posted with good information! I have a student who recognizes her letters if there are a bunch of letters and I ask her to circle the "M" but if I point to an "M" and ask what letter it is she can't tell me. Hopefully this thread will help.

6. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Nov 5, 2007

I'm glad that I'm not the only one! Thanks for the suggestions!

7. lisabug

lisabug Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

I am sure you already do but we do a lot of letter work with their names. They WANT to be able to read their own names and the names of their classmates so it is a good starting point. Maybe you could do some activities about that. Also, Music by Mar has the alphabet backwards song that children LOVE. Maybe it will help them learn their alphabet backwards and start to recognize more letters.

Lisa

8. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Nov 5, 2007

We always glue things that begin with that letter to the letter. This week we are doing 'f'. We are gluing feathers and flower stickers to the letter.

My students are doing good with the lower case letters, but are having a hard time with the upper case letters.

Any suggestions.

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 23, 2007

Music, music, music!

Jack Hartmann. Dr. Jean. Fun phonics factory.

Sing and learn! :)

Kelly :)

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 23, 2007

I agree 100% with Kelly, music is the key! I also use lots of Dr. Jean and Jack Hartmann as well as many others. My students LOVE the Letter Factory DVD and song- I highly recommend it. Out of 23 students I only had 2 who knew a few letters on the first day of school and now I have 14 who know all 26 upper and lowercase letters! The rest are all well on their way to learning them all. I created a Photo Story using the Letter Factory flash cards to go along with the song and they can watch it at the student computers. I also uploaded the song to our iPods (grant) and they take it home and listen to the Letter Factory song and other educational songs each night. We also use the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics toy in our ABC Center and during Letter Work time, it's the most popular thing in the room.

11. monaliza

monaliza Rookie

Nov 24, 2007

thanx

Regards,
    Liz

12. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Nov 24, 2007

These are all great ideas! I'm glad I found this posting. Some of our students have trouble with this also. I like the Montessori "sandpaper" letters, where students trace the shape of the letter with their finger and say the letter name/sound. This makes it multisensory: touch, visual, and auditory. You could probably find these from a Montessori supply company. Super Duper Publications also make some "Tactile Letters" and "Textured Touch and Trace Cards."

Nicole

13. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Nov 25, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the Letter Factory DVD and I'm taking it to school tomorrow. My goal is to have them recognizing before Christmas (4 weeks!)