They can't lay me off now, right?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Jul 24, 2009.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

My county laid off a lot of teachers in the spring due to budget cuts. We are all getting a paycut in addition to the 3 state furlough days. The superintendent just sent an email which sounded like they might be laying more people off or increasing pay cuts. Can they lay me off now due to budget cuts if I've signed a contract? :huh:

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

Nope, they either have to buy you out of your contract or honor it. Once it's been signed, notarized, and made official then they can't take it away from you without buying you out (your promised salary for the next year).

4. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Phew - it was signed, notarized, and made official in April. :)

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

What if there is a clause in the contract that says that the district can let you go at any time without reason?

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

I would check the contract. Most have a clause protecting the district saying that the teacher can be let go at any point in the contract due to low enrollment and several other conditions that are usually specified in the contract. Read through your whole contract. Sorry.

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

We can not be laid off after we've signed our contracts...but...our contracts are with the county, not the school, so if cuts have to be made due to enrollment, we can be moved to another school.

8. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Yes, our contracts are also with the county. The contract does say we can be transferred to another school in the county. The only clause about termination of the contract by the employer is:
    "This contract shall not be terminated by the employer except as provided for in any law of the State of Georgia presently in force or hereafter enacted pertaining to the retention and/or dismissal of employees of local boards of education and as provided for in the regulations of the employer."

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

So if there is currently a law or if they make a law that says that schools without enough money can fire teachers, then they can fire you without having to pay you anything. Stinks, doesn't it? :(

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

We have had teachers moved into the first month of school because of enrollment drops and I am sure it's the same with budget cuts.
    If you are a provisional teacher in my district you can be let go for anything, I would think those would be first to go.
    We don't actually sign a contract in my district. Once you are not provisional, it's just assumed continued employment unless they hear otherwise.

11. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Ok - what can I do to get my mind off of this? I have been sitting here upset for several hours. I've worried so much that now I'm getting a headache and not feeling good physically. I've been so stressed about this year before it even starts. Having pay cuts, furlough days, decreased supply money, etc. has stressed me out. Plus, we are going to have more kids in our classes, and I have no idea where they are all going to sit. I don't even know who my parapro is going to be for sure since when we left for the summer there were 6 kindergarten teachers and 7 parapros. I haven't heard anything about hiring a 7th teacher, and I'm wondering if the parapro I worked with last year will be laid off since last year was her first in the county. Now I guess there's the possiblity that I"ll lose my job or have even more pay cuts. What can I do to stop worrying and stressing, because it's starting to make me physically sick. :(

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

I understand where your stress is coming from, however, making yourself sick really will not solve anything. Call the superintendent or your principal and ask the question. Once you have an answer you can make the necessary decisions to move forward.

13. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I agree, I thought if they have no place in the entire district....than they can.

14. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I think you need to hope there are LOTS of students, because that means they will need teachers!
    I would say that Para's will most likely be let go before teachers, too. This is hard on teachers, I know.
    And remember you have no control, so try not to stress to hard.
    Last year, I was low person and almost had to go to another school-I was lucky I had my Masters! I believe it saved me.
    I still worry this year just because you never know what can happen, but I am praying and just getting ready for students.
    :)

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2009

The only thing you can do now is just pray about your situation. Unless you have been told that you will be let go, don't worry about it. Concentrate on getting your classroom ready for the students you will have in a few weeks.

16. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

That's not true in Texas. All districts have an "out." Boards have to basically declare an emergency and teachers can be RIF'd without any additional money being paid or owed.

17. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Kinder,

I'm much older and let me pass on a piece of advice my mother gave me at an early age. "Worry about what you can control or influence. To worry about something you can't control will make you old at an early age."

I know it's very difficult to think about not having a job but making yourself physical ill is not in your best interest. Take a walk, volunteer at a homeless shelter, find something to do besides sitting around worrying. Know that your friends and family will be around to help you in any way possible. Hugs!

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2009

Were you the last hired? Because often they will lay off the last hired teachers first. I agree that there is nothing you can do at this point except maybe get a resume, etc. in order, just in case.

We had teachers (ancillary teachers) laid off in our district last year after the school year began. I know they have that discretion given enrollment and funding.

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

When do you go back to school? It is silly to worry about something that may never happen and you will not find out about until you get back.Enjoy the rest of the summer and prepare as if you have the job. It is a shame the economic disaster in this country has caused such aggravation for so many people.

20. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I wasn't the last hired. I can think of at least 5 teachers at my school that I have seniority over off the top of my head.

21. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

We officially go back a week from Monday. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I'm going to pray about it and try not to worry about things I can't control.

22. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 24, 2009

Kinder, it's tough to do sometimes, but if I worried about all the problems out of my control, I'd go nuts. I figured it's like that for most folks. Having a strong spiritual belief also helps one in times like this.

23. lq78

lq78 New Member

Jul 24, 2009

Our School ~ Same Situation

I also teach Kindergarten in Georgia and our school is in the same situation. I would go by your school and act as if you were working in your classroom and then stick your head in the principals office and say "I still have a job...right?" I know sometimes you just have to go to the source. Good luck!

24. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

I hope they don't, but I'm not so sure the contract is a sure thing. We all remember how infamously Dallas laid off all those teachers in the middle of a semester because of budget deficits. And I know in our district, our "contracts" aren't actually contracts; they're "intents to employ". So basically our entire employment agreement is one big out for the district should they need it.

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

In Oklahoma you can be let go through what is called Reduction in Force (RIF), but the district has to let the last ones hired go first. Most try not to do it, because sometimes the last ones hired fill a specific need. But if you are a generalist, you are on thin ice.

26. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

The principal in our county (just west of Atlanta) said that it will be last hired for sure. No playing games with it; simply based on seniority with the county. Our school's kindergarten teachers are pretty nervous also due to very low enrollment. However, they've all been with the county for several years and expect that the worst that will happen is that they are transferred to another school or another grade level.

At least they will all be working.

Kindergarten enrollment is always a huge problem. Parents just don't seem to get the idea that they must enroll their kids before the week before school starts. In the spring, we send out newsletters, give letters to students who have younger siblings or cousins, have announcements made in churches, put signs up, give stacks of letters to local pre-k businesses, and still they trickle in until BAM, everyone comes in a few days before school starts.

This year, the two administrators even went door to door in a local low income hispanic neighborhood with letters written in spanish hoping to get them to come right away.

I think you're going to be fine. Five teachers have to be let go before you.

27. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

The last hired is usually true but in at least one district I know of they started doing it by the type of credential - if you didn't have some types of certs. you went lower on the list.

Most principals will warn you if they think you are in jeopardy. No news is good news!

28. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 25, 2009

Off topic observation: While that is a great idea in theory, I think your adminstrators might have overlooked the fact that many people who speak Spanish don't actually read it. As Americans, we often forget that not every country offers a free education to all citizens regardless of their class. Many of the lower income hispanic parents do not actually read Spanish.

At one point, our district looked into having all of our documents (report cards, progress reports, dress code, code of conduct) translated into Spanish, until members of the hispanic community pointed out that fewer than 30% of the parents we were targeting knew how to read Spanish, and of those who could read, most had a very elementary education, and would not be able to comprehend the documents unless they were simplified.

29. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

That's very true. I remember reading in my chicano literature class a statistic that the average first generation mexican immigrant in the U.S. has around a 3rd grade education. School isn't free in all countries and children are needed for working the fields.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

Hmmm....I think the vice principal speaks spanish enough to talk to them, but I'll bet you're right. If they left the letters at doors, I'll bet they missed a lot. I'll mention it at the next meeting. Thanks!