They call themselves teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Sep 4, 2009.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

I was very happy to hear that our school district, which typically has lots of vacancies at the beginning of every school year, was able to drastically reduce those vacancies this year. They stepped up their recruiting, and worked hard to place teachers in a timely manner.

Then we received this news:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loc...uture_jobs_here.html?viewAll=Y&text=#comments

How can teachers do this to our children? Why couldn't they give proper notice? They do not deserve to call themselves teachers.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

It is unfortunate that a lot of people come here as a "last resort" job. I LOVE teaching in an urban setting. To be honest, Philadelphia has a lot of supports for new teachers. We have a great new teacher induction given through the union. I think principals tell new teachers the realities of things, like how significant the behavior issues are. Teachers can control any behavior and teach to proficiency with STRUCTURE and CONSISTENCY.

It really saddens me that our children are not getting an equal education. These teachers don't belong in an urban setting. :(

BTW, good luck on Tuesday! I will post pictures of my classroom. I'm finally completely done setting my room up. :)

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

There are a lot of unemployed teachers in other areas of the US that would have loved the opportunity that those teachers walked away from.

5. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 4, 2009

I'm just amazed by all the negative comments about teachers in the comment section. This is how we get a bad name....it isn't all of us. blahhhh

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

Good luck to you, too! I'll be interested in seeing pictures of your class. It's great to hear that you love what you do - I feel the same way.

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

That's terrible.

I tried applying to Philadelphia schools last year, but it was nearly impossible to figure out that system that they have. (and ridiculous by the way).

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

It is because people don't value education. The person who said that they don't know why any teacher would teach in Philly is part of the unequal education problem we have in our country. Children are children and should be treated as if they were your own. Actually, a lot of schools in Philly made AYP last year and some suburban schools did not.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2009

Migod, I am certain none of these people commenting on the article have children affected by the mass resignations. Why would anyone rejoice in seeing children robbed of their education? I was horribly sad to leave Philadelphia four years ago and this just makes me cringe in horror.