They both offered me the job :help:

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lyquidphyre, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

10 am interview = school A
    3 pm interview = school B

So, coming back from the interview with school B, school A calls to "unofficially offer me the job." They need to get ahold of my references to make it official. However, the job offer changed from 3 Environmental science and 3 aquatic science to 3 ES and 3 TAKS labs.
    After hanging up the phone with school A, school B calls, with me on speaker phone to offer me the job. I asked if I could sleep on it. God did I feel like such an A$$! They had me on speaker to so they could hear my get all excited and accept.. instead I got excited, and overwhelmed and speechless... and asked if I could sleep on it :unsure:

ANYWAYS. :help:
    Here is the break down of the two schools:

School A:
    - I toured and LOVED the classrooms and the school
    - It is block schedule which allows me more time to teach
    - I would be the only ES teacher which means I can "do what I want"
    - BUT, the kids in ES are the kids that are there because they have to have a science credit
    - TAKS labs I would be joint teaching with another teacher to help kids who didn't pass the TAKS test... soo... yah. My bf's sister is a teacher and she has friends who HATED the TAKS labs because the kids didn't want to be there (are forced to take the class) and that sort of thing
    - It's unofficial until they contact my references

School B:
    - I haven't seen much of the school
    _ I'd get to teach Biology- my passion!
    - The are brand new (this will be their first year w/ seniors) and right now they will have 20 Biology teachers, which means I don't really have too much say in curriculum
    - Because they aren't finished with that one wing, the teachers have to rotate classrooms and labs and such, but that is only for one year and after that I would have my own classroom
    - It is 7 (or is it 8?) 55 min periods a day which would be either really good.. or really bad.
    - Instead of creating my own stuff (which could be a challenge), I have 20 mentor teachers, ya know?
    - This is an official job offer.

I should be happy, but I could just cry! :dunno:

3. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

What about the people? Is there one group you connected more with than the other? Do you think one principal would be more supportive than another, etc? How about the distance from home for each? The most important of all though, what is your gut telling you?

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

All the people for both schools have been REALLY nice- however, school A I only talked with the assistant principal where as in school B I talked to the principal, assistant prin. and science dept chair.

Distance is about the same, but either way my boyfriend and I plan to move to where to be closer to both his work and my school.

My gut is, at the moment, telling me school B.

5. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

How awesome! 2 offers in one day!:party: It's a big decision and I'm sure you don't want to let anyone down!

I would go with the staff that you feel more connected with. I think it was cool that they called you on speaker phone! I think that they are excited to have you! Good luck!

Sheri

6. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Speaking on job description alone you seem more excited about school B. You are right though. Talk to your bf about it and then sleep on it. Things always seem clearer in the morning once it really settles in that you received two offers in one day. That's quite an accomplishment! Good work!

7. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I'd take B, sounds like you really want Biology and since you didn't meet with principal A, you may not know what you have in store for yourself. Just my thoughts.

8. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

If it was me, looking at what you have written, I would go with school B. Either way, congratulations on two offers. You rock!

9. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Oh, I forgot to add, working with a large group of teachers means that you would have a great deal of support and lots of ideas from them.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Go with your gut.

I'm so happy for you! :)

11. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I COULDN'T WAIT!!!

I called school B back just now and accepted the position!!!!

The more I thought about it the more I was like "DUH!!!" and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't call and accept that job!
    He told me that he never calls and offers a job right after an interview, but they were so excited to have found the perfect fit for the school/position they couldn't wait!! And I explained to him what happened (I check my voice mail and got another job offer, then called them back and they offered me the job.. I was just so overwhelmed and I try not to make impulsive decisions even though I knew in my gut I wanted to work for school B)

The weight has been lifted!! Now, I dread having to call school A and tell them I'm going to have to decline the offer.

I HAVE A JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

:2up:

13. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

CONGRATS!!!!!! You are smart to not make it a dilemma if you knew you really did want to work for school B. Hooray! I hate turning down job offers too. I would call ASAP to let them know. You want them to continue looking as soon as possible since you know it isn't the right fit for you. I had to do that a couple of weeks ago. I ended up having to leave a message, but I wanted the admin to know right away. I didn't want her to have to worry about calling me back just so I could say no thanks. Anyway, good luck!!

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Way to go! :2up: Isn't it a grrrreat feeling? I know you were sweating it out there for awhile, but it sounds like you weighed the pros and cons and came to a satisfying decision. Good for you.
    Since you haven't been "officially" offered the position at school A, can you withdraw yourself from consideration?

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations!!! How exciting! I would have gone with School B myself! Time to celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

16. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations, Lyquidphyre!! :up:
    I think it was the right decision to go with your gut. In your description, it certainly sounded like you preferred school B. I'm so glad you called them and accepted. Celebrate tonight! :party:

17. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

AWww, I'm so happy for you. I was going to say that it sounds like school B is what you wanted, so I'm glad to read you already accepted!!! WOOO HOOO!

Do you have any *job offer dust* you could sprinkle my way? ;)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations! (You know that you still won't sleep tonight, but it will be because of excitment, not worry)

19. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

I love hearing that one of the teachers waiting and searching has gotten a job!!! This is great!! Now let's keep hoping that more good things happen for everyone else waiting...:hugs:
    CONGRATS!

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

Very Good!! Congratulations!!!

21. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Yay!! Good for you! Great choice, btw. Always follow your passion!

22. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Yippee! Congrats to you.:D

23. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

AWESOME! What a difference a day makes!

24. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations, I am so very happy for you!! What a dilemma to have (the two job offers), I hope I get that kind of dilemma in my life really soon!!!
    Celebrate your decision and start planning for YOUR CLASS!!! YAY

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations!!!!!

26. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

What a great decision to have to make! Sounds like you made a decision that will be best for you! Congrats!

27. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Congrats Lyquidphyre :up:
    You made the right choice. The kids in the TAKS lab probably would have made your life miserable b/c they probably wouldn't want to be there like your bf's sis said and took it out on you. That is stress you don't need. I wouldn't mind having more that one mentor.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Liquid, you seem to have it pretty much together. Don't be surprised if some of the other new teachers look to you for advice :)

29. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

OUtstanding!!!

30. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Thank you guys for all the wonderful words of encouragement and support!! I definitely will sprinkle some magic job offer dust to those still looking. It really surprises me what a roller coaster ride finding a job can be!

I really couldn't risk not taking this job in hopes everything else fell into place at school A. I just feel REALLY bad because I really made it sound like I was going to take the job at school A (because at the time, I really wanted it before it changed)

31. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Don't worry. Just like you know this job is for you, there is someone else just perfect for school A. You have to do what is in your best interest. Do stress it was a hard decision and how much you appreciate the offer, but you just accepted an opportunity you could not pass up. This is probably not the first time this admin has had to find another qualified person. Again though, Congrats! I hope you have an awesome year!

32. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Congrats!!!! Always follow your guts and your passion :) Best of Luck this year!!!

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations! Call School A and let them know that you accepted else where.

34. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Congratulations!!!!!!! That is excellent!!!!!!!! I'm glad you picked that one, it definitely sounded like the one you really wanted. Always follow your instincts. Celebrate and enjoy this moment!!!!!!!!!!

35. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I am glad you chose school B. :) If it is your passion, then that is where you belong. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have an amazing year!

36. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

Congrats!!

37. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

WOW! Congratulations! Now I need to go catch up on A & B, neither has a long commute I presume!

You're still up I see, the euphoria got your wheels spinning?????:reading:

COngratulations, you worked hard for this!

38. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

So I just "caught up" Good choice! Next year is going ot be such a blast, our newest HS just graduated their first seniors, and I have lots of friends with kids there, they LOVED it, lots of involvement, excitement with "senior traditions" being made...etc, etc...

Plus it's BIO!
    Yipeee!

39. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

Congrats, Liquid! Woooooohoooooooo!

Now, time to get to work! :)

40. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Congratulations on your new position!!!

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you!!! I, too, think you made the right choice for yourself. But congrats on the 2 offers in 1 day as well! :)