They are jerking me over..again

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EducateElise, Aug 14, 2009.

1. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

About four years ago I was a 3rd grade teacher at this charter school. A week after school started I was moved to Pre-K. then demoted to a teacher assistant before I just said forget it and resigned.

Well over the summer this same school called me back and asked to come and teach 8th grade. (Which is my certification area) I am on a probationary certificate so I have to teach one full year before I am fully certified. I just wrote the last incident up to happenstance and agreed to go back.

Yesterday I was told that the principal went and hired another teacher behind my back to take my place and they wanted to move me to another grade. She was having second thoughts and didn't feel I had enough experience to teach middle school yet. I left another job to return to this school and now may be left with nothing. My classroom was already decorated. School begins next week. I have been moved to the 1st grade! Next week it could be Kindergarten. Who knows?!

I could really kick myself. I honestly thought this time things would be different, surely I wouldn't be burned twice.

This is an at will school, we sign no contracts. Suppose I'm left without a job?

Can you tell me of any other options on dealing with this?

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

Who at the school contacted you to come back? The principal or someone else?

I would contact an attorney to find out if you have any legal support in this matter.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

What was the other job you left? If it wasn't a teaching job, you might just want to 'deal with it' for the year so you get your full certification out of it. Not the best situation, but if you really want to get your cert and some experience to make yourself more marketable as a teaching candidate for different schools next year, you might just want to suck it up and hang in there.
    Can you go into the school and talk to the P? Tell him/her your prior experience with this school, that you really want to make a commitment to the year but that you need some stability in terms of knowing what grade you are teaching.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 14, 2009

I hadn't gotten moved around after my classroom was decorated (yet) but that is a chance, even at my school, that you take if you do it before professional week. Even the first day or two of professional week I have seen changes made. Last year one teacher had to switch 2 days before professional week. This is not uncommon. In fact, I just switched from fifth to K but thankfully it was before I started on my room. I had already started making plans and even bought some teacher resource books.

Now the first scenario about being demoted is a whole other story. This scenario about being switched is very common.

P.S. I was switched because another new teacher that was hired had 27 years of experience in upper grades and refused to teach Kinder so I got bumped to Kinder instead.

Of course I wasn't being moved from middle school to elementary though. It's probable though that the new person they hired has more experience in this area and they did some shifting around. Since you are new, you were the likeliest one to shift around.

What job did you leave?

6. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

My previous job was a call center. It was the HR director of the school who summoned me back. I was just biding time there until I could get a teaching position again. You guys are right. I will just suck it up and build up my resume. Still sort of new to this so I didn't realize that the switching around was commonplace. I will just have to learn to adapt and adjust. But the bad side is that my certification area is English Language Arts/Reading 4-8. I have passed the content exam but I still need to take the PPR so I am not fully certified. I came to this job hoping to complete my internship year. Many people who have come to this school in hopes of doing their one year internship are still spinning their wheels because they keep getting moved to other grades outside of their certification area. I think this is a ploy on her part because once you are fully certified she has to pay you more money.

The principal was very warm and friendly during the interview. I thought she had a lot of confidence in me. But she did indeed hire someone with more experience which is understandable. I just kind of wish she was upfront with me about things instead of underanded. Thanks alot for the feedback. I feel much better about things :)

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 14, 2009

Do approach her about the fact that you need to complete your certification and moving to first grade will not accomplish this. You wish to be highly qualified. Let it go from there.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 14, 2009

I think the best thing to do would be to prove the principal wrong, go in there, and rock out a great year. You can do it!

9. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Aug 14, 2009

I agree with KCJo. I think you should go in there and ROCK this year as well...and trust me...first grade is awesome!!!!
    It's my very favorite!!! You will do great.