THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Jan 21, 2010.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 21, 2010

Seriously. I'm going to lose my mind.

The boys in my class (12 boys and 9 girls) are driving me nuts. Since coming back from Christmas break, they are incredibly aggressive. Today a recess supervisor brought 4 children in from recess and told me they were going around and shoving other students on the playground. She said this has been happening all week.

On Monday (no school tomorrow) my principal is pulling ALL the boys from my classroom for a talk. Then, the 4 boys who were caught shoving at recess are going to stay and have another talk. They are also missing recess both Monday and Tuesday.

I'm going to have to start cracking down on discipline, but nothing really seems to phase them. Currently, I have a "behavior folder" for each student. If they misbehave, they have to get their folder and write what they did on the calendar. I try to have a natural consequence for each situation, and I write a letter home or email parents. If I really rack down on them, I will be writing in folders left and right! I guess, though, if that's what needs to be done I need to just do it and be consistent.

Also, I feel SO bad for my well-behaved students. About half of my class is just wonderful, but the other half completely ruins everything for them. I do have rewards for students who behave well (a prize for 10 good days-they love it!).

Any other advice? :unsure:

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2010

No advice, but I feel your pain. We've had some kids just totally wacky for no apparent reason and it's been driving me nuts. I'm just chalking it up to the winter doldrums and trying to get them outside whenever we can.

One trick that I do for kids who are really horrid is the "you have to stay with me, right next to me, so I know everyone is going to be safe around you" routine. It gets a little boring after a while when they realize that they can't do what they want to do, but if you have 4 boys like that, it might be harder to do.

What about putting each one of them at an individual table in the classroom, away from each other, and no matter what they have to stay there for a certain amount of time? At least that way you'd know they're separated and will be less likely to interfere with anything.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 22, 2010

I would start giving "prizes" randomly during the day to the well-behaved children--10 days is a long time for some kids. I do prize box at the end of each Friday, but when things seem to be getting out of hand, I will just call a child, saying 'Susie is doing such a WONDERFUL job of sitting quietly, she may chose a prize'--and now everyone shapes up because they don't know when I will randomly chose someone else. It seems to help. Good luck-it is very frustrating.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 23, 2010

Is it just on the playground or in the classroom too? Sounds like both...

Do you go out at recess with them? Maybe if you went just a few times and kept an eye out that might make them see you mean business. I go out with my kids everyday (all K teachers do at my school) and it really makes a big difference.

6. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

7. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

I would just like to say that I am so glad to see that my class is not the only one that has gone crazy. Friday I almost lost my mind! Some of the boys (and girls) in my class have NEVER been as aggressive as they are now. They just argue, fuss, and fight ALL DAY! It's been building up since we came back from winter break! It makes me almost wish we didn't have the break...almost:) Definately will have to crack down this week! I hope things get better.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 25, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I have been doing the random prizes for the past few weeks, and that doesn't seem to be working. I like to reward and praise the well-behaved kids, but the other kids just don't catch on! Nothing seems to phase them.

No, I don't go out to recess with them. We have supervisors that are hired by the school. Selfishly, I don't really want to because it's about 10 degrees outside, and I use that time to prep our math materials (our curriculum uses a lot of hands-on stuff that is a pain to organize).

I was out of my classroom today pulling kids for assessments, and the sub said, "I see what you mean!" after spending the morning with them. And she's a 30-year kindergarten veteran!

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 26, 2010

Well, today I was out in the morning again for assessments, but the afternoon went pretty well. I busted 5 boys within 10 minutes of being back, and they all were pretty good after that.

I'm trying to put my foot down more! :D

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2010

I know that when I sub a kinder class and they are getting antsy, we do some interactive activities, stretching, exercises, clap spelling, anything to get them moving and not sitting too long. This seems to help sometimes...