They are driving me bonkers!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by minnie, Mar 10, 2015.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 10, 2015

I have a really sweet group of kindergartners. However, whenever they have any free time, they are constantly wanting to show me everything they do or they want to come and tell me every little story about their life. What do you guys tell your little guys when they want to come up to you for every little thing? Whenever we are in the middle of learning something, I just tell them "That's not what we're talking about right now." But during free time, what should I say to them?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

"thanks for telling me"

What does 'free time' look like in your room? Could be your K's need a little more structure in their freedom...

4. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 10, 2015

They have play centers at the end of the day. So they can do the kitchen area, dollhouse, dinosaurs, puppets, blocks, Legos, math center, abc center, board games, etc. Could they be bored of the same ol centers? I have them switch to a different area every ten minutes. I pick three centers for that day and they spend 10 minutes in each center. They just want to show me everything and when they're in centers, I use that time to correct papers, clean up my classroom, etc

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 10, 2015

Could you open all the centers and let them have a little more freedom? They might be more engaged with more choices of things to do.

6. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 10, 2015

Yes I could try that. Thanks!

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 11, 2015

I would try opening more centers...my pre-ks and kinders do this and it seems to entertain them for long periods of time :)

8. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 11, 2015

Definitely agree with giving more freedom at centers! I think it would keep them more engaged, and they would just want to show you special things like art or other creations.

9. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015

Plus, some kindergarteners are very needy. The need affirmation, attention, etc... I agree with the previous posts that I too believe they will be more engaged if allowed to go to the center of their choosing. Some might got to the same one each day, but that's ok. It's not instruction time, as you mentioned...

Adam