Thesis Topic

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Grascea, May 24, 2007.

1. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

May 24, 2007

hi buddies! Right now i am in confusion -- haha! since this coming first semester i am going to start workin with my thesis in my graduate studies (SpEd) and I am worried since i do not have any topic yet to consider. Can anyone help me find a topic and formulate the thesis title for me????????? i need at least three thesis titles - this is the required number of titles we must submit to the grad school office. - thanks a lot

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2007

Is there a topic you're particularly interested it??

What field of special ed would be your first choice? Would you like to work with autistic kids? If so, maybe you want to consider the various approaches to helping them. Are you more interested in the causes of learning disabilities?

There are so many directions you might choose-- why not float some preliminary ideas and we'll help you out?

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 24, 2007

Are you doing an actual experimental design? If so, the population available to you will likely limit your possible titles/questions.

5. jamela

jamela New Member

Jun 17, 2007

hi! just finished my 36 units in MAED- educational management. I wish somebody can help me with my thesis proposal no topic yet.I like sports..thanks

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2007

HOw about something on the value of competitiveness-- is it a positive or negative factor in education?

7. jamela

jamela New Member

Jun 18, 2007

thanks for caring...anything under the sun....positive or negative doesn't matter..

8. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

M. R.

My field of specialization is Mental Retardation. But we can select a topic-title that concerns special education. Please help - thank!

9. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

Help! Behavior Modification

Hi buddies! hope you can help me finding different behavior modification techniques like time-out and etc. and how are they done....please help! thanks

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

I'm confused. You're a grad student in special education and you don't know how to research different behavior modification techniques?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I am just a little baffled.

11. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

No, Cassie. I am not a special education graduate. I am a non-education graduate. dont worry I am not offended. I understand why you are confused. I am a career-shifter..... hope you can and others can help me. I am new to the field. Thanks

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Ah, got it!

13. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

so can you help me?

14. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

One area of interest in Special education is "minorities" in special education. I.e. Nationwide there is an over representation of African American students in Special Educaiton-- wonder why?

Also, with the demands of NCLB requiring research based practices in all classrooms, what research based practices are effective for children with special needs-- and more specific than that-- what research based practices are effective for students with severe cognitive disabilties. You could discover one, and experiment with it for yourself.

Also, I think the Council for Exceptional Children has developed some guidlines or suggestions for how to conduct reasearch with special education populations. It's a difficult task, because the uniqueness of each student makes it difficult to get a large sample pool.

Another area of interest might be to research teacher certifaction programs and how they address and teach gen. education teachers about working with children with special needs-- are the programs lacking, are their effective programs, what do effective teacher prep programs include. Also a branch of this might be to inquire about para-professional training in regards to working with children with special needs-- what are the characterstics of an effective para-educator in a special education setting.

Also, I'm not sure if you are from the Phillipines, or I read it wrong, nonetheless-- another area of special education in the US, in terms of research is how specific cultural groups, families who have children with special needs access services, or what perceptions they have of their own child, or the special education process.

There are lots of things to question-- think about the "whys" you've asked yourself-- the little "pings" you hear in your brain when you encounter something in education that you think could be done differently or enhanced. These are most likely areas that have not been researched or addressed as deeply as they need to be.

I just finished my grad studies-- so if you want to talk more-- let me know and I can send you my personal email or contact info-- I know what it was like to wonder- WHAT DO I DO? And in Special Ed. studies there is a lot of that. You mentioned also you are new to the career-- and after 11 years in my career-- I still ask-- WHAT DO I DO and where is the research to back it up? So I can't wait to hear what you do and the outcome of that.

Good luck! I think you are already ahead of the game by the fact that you tapped this forum as resource. Go for it!

15. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

hahaha! yeah to come up with a viable prob in sped is really difficult for me. i thank you for the time youve patiently spent for typing your reply. anyway, Im grateul to hear that you are willing to lend some of your expertise in sped and yeah I want to talk with you more about this thing through email or something.

Right now i am thinking of conducting a study. It is about behavior modification in which the giving of rewards is one of them. I am using on the first week the money- as my reward for student(s) who'll behave inside the classroom. and then last week I made it a week- long -wait (meaning from monday-friday, on friday I gave the reward) This week i made it daily as in i will give the to a student who can behave well inside the class despite of their exceptionality. Hope you get the idea here.

Or another prob on my mind will be I wanted to find out which reward-token will be most effective for the sped students or that can make them behave well in the class . For example is it money? food stuff? watching a movie-video? giving a treat? or is it something else?

what do you think is better? if noe at all, please advice...thanks a lot

16. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Have you looked at Applied Behavioral Analysis? It can be used in a variety of formats, and may help in any research. It's all about teaching new behaviors to replace old ones, providing reinforcement, and improving behavior.

As for rewards--ask the students! You can give them choices. "Would you prefer food, a pencil, homework pass, etc.?" This way, the student has some say in their reward and may feel more motivated to work on his or her behavior.

Hope this offered a little more help!

17. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Enhancing Speech, intervention for adhd, and social skills

I will be handling a 5 year old special kid. He is non-verbal, with adhd and autism. My firts target is to let him say even a few simple words. he is not deaf and not mute. the only word he can speak is DADA, instead of Daddy. Aside from that he cannot speak no more other word/words.

Please I need help on how to enhance 1st his speech mechanism. then will modify his behavior and will have his toilet training. Please help!!!!!!!!!

18. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Does he communicate in any other ways? PECS, signs, grunts, etc?

19. Grascea

Grascea Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Help! He doesnt talk

No, the kid doesnt talk. He bites anything. May it be a person or a thing around him. he messes up things. when he was three years old he was diagnose to have and autism combined with adhd. I dont know where to start. anyway, is an IEP the same with the action plan?

20. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Communicating

I would look into PECS and ABA for the child. Both programs have a behavioral aspect of reinforcement and prompt levels to 1. ABA to establish behavioral compliance, 2. PECS to facilitate communication.

Also the communicationmatrix.org give a basic understanding and overview of development of communication that also includes pre-symbolic communication. I wonder if you could contact the developers of Communicationmatrix.org for "reasearch" ideas, as they have and do research their program, as to the developers of PECS and ABA.

Having worked with a 4 year old with autism, using ABA-- his therapist was/is only using food as a reinforement which I highly caution against, because as teachers, by law in some states, we are not allowed to use food as reinforcement. I noticed the boy though would find interest in various items-- as simple as a string, so when working with him, what ever he found of interest that day or that 20 minutes, that would become the reinforcer for the activity/training session. So, amazingly, because he did have speech capabilities, I'd hold the item of interest by my face, establishing eye contact with the child, then ask him to "say mom" and he'd repeat, immediately I'd reinforce him with item combined with verbal praise. He's still not spontaneous in saying "mom" to mom, but the reality is the ABA was only working on the child repeating "ahh, oohhhs, bbbbs," etc, not functional words.

So I think all in all, your studying reinforcements is a nice start as an area to study. Have you found research, journal articles about using reinforcements in the classroom? ABA is about reinforcing to shape behavrio, as is PECS-- (I'd like to say PECS tends to use more "natural" reinforcers) Maybe you could compare the 2 methods-- i.e. use one method to get the child to perform a certain task, and use the 2nd method to get the child to perform the same, or a similar task, and determine wich method was quicker-- I.e. Does the child vocalize more/ become more expressive with communication using ABA for 1 week, or using PECS for 1 week?