Thesis Statment

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Gr8Teacher, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Gr8Teacher

Gr8Teacher Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

My son has the assigment of writing a thesis statment answering the following, I am having touble helping him and could use some help. Why is the balcony scene (Act II.ii) arguably the most famous love scene in all of literature?

3. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 17, 2007

A thesis statement is essentially the relationship between two things (or ideas if you prefer). The "what" is usually given to you in the question. The trick is to come up with a reason that supports the relationship that is fairly interesting and original. (what because why is the phrase I use with my students). In your example, it would start.. "The balcony scene is arguably the most famous love scene in literature because _______.

Make a list of reasons (mini brainstorming session) looking for as many reasons as possible within say, three minutes. Look for quantity instead of quality. When the time is up, pick the one reason that would be most interesting to your reader *not another student or yourself* AND is one that he knows a lot about..

then the basic structure of the essay goes

thesis (included in first paragraph)

balcony scene (at least one paragraph)

discussion of love scenes in literature (at least one paragraph)

discussion of why statement (at least one paragraph on whatever reason he chose)

conclusion (one paragraph)

EASY.

4. Gr8Teacher

Gr8Teacher Rookie

Mar 17, 2007

The assignments is a rather odd one they do not need to write an actual essay, but only a thesis.

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 17, 2007

Well then, just do the first part.. I can think of lots of interesting ones...

"The balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet is the most famous love scene in literature because of imminent danger to the main characters."

(that would make a totally cool essay- IF he ever had to write one.. balcony dangers, danger of discovery, etc)

"The balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet is the most famous love scene in literature because a literate society is familiar with the text and can make parallels to other genres."

"The balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet is the most famous love scene in literature because the lovers are portrayed outside of a building, where astronomical changes were visible."

(the last one may or may not be true.. I am not sure what astronomical changes were going on in the 1700s, but you get the idea I think).

6. Gr8Teacher

Gr8Teacher Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Can anyone think of any movies, books, plays, etc in whihc two people are seeing each other and are forbiddent to do so?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

West Side Story (OK, cheating: it's Romeo & Juliet all over again)

How about the.. what are their names.. the 2 families in the US that had that famous feud? Here they are: the Hatfields and the McCoys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield-McCoy_feud

8. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 18, 2007

The King and I

Great Gatsby

Guinevere and Lancelot (although that predates Shakespeare)

9. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

Just about any in which the lover characters are of different races and/or social classes and/or are below the age of twenty-five.

10. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Mar 19, 2007

There was an ABC movie called Pizza My Heart, very kid-friendly, with the same type of plot line.

Romiette and Julio is one of the newer, forbidden love YA books.

I actually did a paper my senior year in high school tracing the history of Romeo and Juliet - you can find quite a bit...