Thesis statements

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Ms Z, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Hi All
    Can a thesis statement contain a question? :help:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

I wouldn't recommend it, but what is it that you have in mind?

4. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Is The No Child Left Behind Act working? What do people around the U.S think, and what ideas do parents and educators have so that the government can make NCLB better.

I thought this was ok to do . I have a guiding question that begins my statement..:wub:

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

What is this for?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

That sounds like a title for a paper, not a thesis statement. Your thesis statement needs to answer a question about the issue you’d like to explore. So use the question you posed and take a position- what is your answer? what is your statement?

7. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

A college level paper.. its an informative paper about NCLB and what people think about it.... I did a survey and will include that and facts about NCLB

8. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

czacza I see what your saying but I dont have to have a position for this paper... its informatative

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Then draw a conclusion from the data you collected- that is your position...

10. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Im not suppose to :help: an informative paper takes no sides just provides you with facts:confused:

11. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Is this better?

:( The No Child Left Behind Act is not working: What people around the U.S think, and ideas that parents and educators have so that the government can make NCLB better.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

Ah. Think of the thesis statement as the organizing principle behind your paper. Persuasive papers require strong, forceful thesis statements that take a stand on an issue; the strongest is a call to action ("Peanut butter should be eliminated from school lunchrooms in favor of..."); the next strongest offers an explanation or theory ("Peanut butter is a health hazard because of... "); weaker still is a thesis statement that explores a fact or issue ("Peanut butter allergies pose difficulties for school dieticians." That is, the explore-the-issue thesis statement is weaker for a PERSUASIVE papar - but it's a fine choice for an INFORMATIVE paper.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

I agree with TG. Your current statement sounds like a survey of opinions, not a strong statement.

How something that mentions results: That NCLB has been ineffective in improving American education.

Or that American students of high academic ability haven't been aided by NCLB.

You want something quantifiable, and something that presents info that leads in a particular direction (as opposed to a bland survey.)

14. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

im not suppose to lead them in any way.. thats my problem:unsure:

15. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Jul 31, 2007

so are you saying my first thesis statement is fine? or the second?

16. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

How would you describe your survey sample group? Other students, random sample, multiple age groups, etc? If you are truly not suppose to lead the reader, at all, your these could simply point out that there are a multitude of opinions on NCLB depending on region, age, etc.

Maybe something like:
    Opinions on the success or failure of NCLB run the gamut depending on who is asked. A sampling and exploration of those opinions follow in the upcoming paragraphs/pages.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

I think our problem is with your definition.

A thesis is a statement you intend to prove. (In geometry, a theorem is a statement that can be proved... think Pythagorean Theorem.)

So a "thesis" isn't a survey; it's a point of view.

I would check back with the professor to find out what he's looking for.

18. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

The case of the informative paper (which is, it seems, what Ms Z is writing) is a little unusual. It still needs a thesis statement - something to be about, if you will - but a thesis statement that would be much too weak for a proper persuasive essay is precisely apt.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Ms Z:
    If you are presenting this paper to inform the reader of the results of your survey, then it will have a point of view. The point of view will be that of the position (in your survey) that received the greatest number of votes. At least, that is the way I would perceive it to be.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Doesn't a thesis have to be published? Like a real book?? In my masters program, I have to do research, but not a thesis.

I am very interested in your topic! You may want to check out my thread "NCLB, love it, hate it, doesn't affect me." We have a good debate going, and I have actually included data from Illinois State Board of Ed. Please keep us posted on your progress!!

22. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Master Pre-K, she means a Thesis statement, as in the opening to her paper.

23. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

OK it seems that i cant find answer to this.. when I first posted this I began my research ... I have not found it anywhere saying I cannot use a question...
    Thank you all :hugs:
    I changed the Question to a statement based on my survey data .. lets see what happens..
    and I have visited that thread about NCLB... I found some valuable information and will be contacting some people who responded to the tread (so I can quote them in my paper)

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

ok, I have so much to learn.

six more classes to go....

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

So do we all, my dear.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Further notes on thesis statements.

The paper Ms Z contemplates is informative or analytical rather than persuasive. Such a paper still needs something like a thesis statement to help keep it focused (it's kind of hard to stay on topic if one isn't clear as to the topic), but the thesis statement needs to be much less opinionated/polemic, and so does the writing. If it's strictly analytical, something along the lines of "The NCLB has met with opposition for the following reasons" - the implicit claim is that the reasons the writer selects are the important ones, and the writer is cataloguing the objections without necessarily siding with them.

27. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

right, Its just difficult to try to solely right a thesis statement without telling someone what the paper is about.. or writing out the paper... so it seems like im being difficult but im not:|

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

Well, if your paper is really leading to a conclusion - if the conclusion is the point of the paper - then that's really what it's about, and your thesis statement needs to reflect that. I can't tell whether you yourself are clear on just what it is that you're doing.

29. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

All papers have conclusions. my conclusion just has no definite end because NCLB is an on going topic right now. If I am informing a group on NCLB and I am not to put any of my opinion into the paper , How am I to have a definite statement? Im not suppose to take sides. Im not the one to say it is or is not working so my thesis statement cannot reflect that.. I do know what im writing about TeacherGroupie, Its just frustrating when I get so many different answers to one question::wub:

Can I Include a question in a thesis statement? :huh:

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

I think that everyone here has given the same answer-- that a thesis statement is a statement of opinion that you intend to back up with evidence.

If that's not what you were told in class, you need to go back and ask your professor.

31. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

OK can a question be included... with your statement?
    this is the question no one can answer.. because its i cant find rule anywhere that says you cant:confused:

I have asked and everyone is confused with me..:help: :huh:

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

Ask your professor. We all agree that the answer is no, but he's the one giving you a grade.

33. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

ok if you say no.. where can I find something supporting that... I want to back it up so I cannot question it...

my professor has no answer he is just giving me the no!! and thats it.....(I changed it to be a statement cause i dont want to fight) but i want to know for myself im sorry if it appears that im being difficult:sorry:

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

And, yes, any paper on education can still have a conclusion, even though education is ongoing.

Your conclusion may be that, up to now, NCLB has had the effect of ..... or something along those lines.

Conclusion MEANS ending.

35. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Right I stated that!! My point is that I cant put my opinion in the conclusion because its an informative paper...

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

Wait, your professor said no. It's his class and he is grading the paper. Every single post here has backed that up.

The dictionary on my desk defines thesis as "proposition or statement to be proved or maintained against objections"

How much more proof do you want???

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

No. Every paper worth reading has a conclusion. Otherwise, just give me the raw statistics and let me draw my own conclusions.

Enough here. You HAVE the assignment from your professor. You have lots of people here who agree with him, not that that should be necessary.

Write the paper the way you think it should be written. But remember, HE TOLD YOU WHAT TO DO. If you choose to do otherwise, do so at your own risk. Good luck.

38. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

I guess everyone is missing my point... ok then
    Is a thesis statement one sentence or can it be more?

There are rules to english writing not just a definitions..

39. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 2, 2007

40. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Ms. Z.
    I know exactly what paper you're writing and for what class..been there. You are making this WAY harder then it needs to be. If you need assistance, PM me.