Theraputic Day Schools-Autism/NCLB

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by MsTeckel, Jul 3, 2006.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I was wondering if anyone has worked for a special day school for a private agency? Im looking to work at one with children with autism when I get done with school. I asked the lady that was touring with me (who has been there 7 years and is certified as a secondary teachers) if I had to be highly qualified and shes like I dont know what that is. Then im like about the new law, no child left behind. Shes like Im not sure what you're talking about. Do teachers in private agency schools not have to deal with this issue? ( if so, thats where I wanna be!!)

Just wondered if anyone knew about that?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

I think it will depend on the school. Based on some of the threads that I have read, some private schools do not even require teacher to have their B. Ed..

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 5, 2006

Therapeutic schools are non-public schools under state regulations. I have worked in these schools for the past 4 years. It might be good to check under the Illinois regulations for non-public schools on the state board of education website. I think you should try to get NCLB certififed. It will increase your chances of getting hired. Terry G.