themes for next school year...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Apr 27, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Apr 27, 2008

Hi everyone! I'm starting to think of how I want to decorate my room next year. This school year, I started my room out with an ocean/ sea life theme. I had a little meet-n-greet before school started and had my students and their parents make "oceans in a bottle" as a little craft to take home before school started.

Now I'm wondering what I should do for next year. What theme did you decorate your room in?

Thanks so much!:p

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 27, 2008

Hey minnie! I can't do themes, so I am not much help there, but it is nice to know I am not the only one thinking about changes for next year already!

4. minnie

minnie Habitué

Apr 27, 2008

Why can't you do themes?

5. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Apr 27, 2008

Some one last year posted about a garden them "kinder garden"

I loved that idea and tried to do it in my room this year. Not as grand as the original poster but none the less I loved the idea.

6. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

I can't do themes either...mostly due to the VERY strict fire codes. We're extremely limited on what we can put on the walls, which makes it hard to do much! A teacher that I've worked with does the garden theme and it is really cute. I'll talk to the teacher today and get more specifics of what they do. (I think they use it each year.)

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2008

Call me boring here...but I always start off with "apples, pencils, school buses"...especially with the little ones...it's such a welcome and new sight for them all to remember their "first" weeks of school. :love:

8. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 28, 2008

I can't really do themes, because I don't have any wall space in my classroom to put bulletin boards or other things on . I have one short wall filled with cabinets, white board, music center, and my rocker. My other short wall has my classroom book rack, manipulative shelf, and a table for writing. My one "long" wall has the word wall, colors, and number line. My last wall is a folding, accordian style door. The door pieces are so narrow, nothing can fit on them.

9. MsG

MsG Companion

Apr 28, 2008

I use a garden theme as well, both in kindergarten and in 4th grade. Other classes at my school are done in frogs, ladybugs, farms, and bears. Let me know if you want details on any of them, they're all really cute!

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Apr 28, 2008

I'm also thinking towards next year. It's looking as though I'll be moving from PK4 to Kindergarten so I'll be in a different room but have some of the children I've had this year. I'd like something that would work for the whole year. The garden theme sounds great, with lots of possibilities. I'd also be interested in hearing more ideas, with details. Thanks!

11. minnie

minnie Habitué

Apr 28, 2008

Oh my gosh! I LOVE the "kinder garden" theme! Thanks!!!

12. MsG

MsG Companion

Apr 29, 2008

I used the saying "School's a Garden, Dig it!" The kids all had shovels as name plates. I bought a small plastic picket fence from Big Lots and hot glued it around the wall. I have several lawn/garden (anirondike) chairs in my reading area, and lots and lots of plants. I keep pencils, crayons, scissors, supplies in those little galvanized flower pots (Walmart for $1). I also found big butterflies and hung them from the ceiling. My kids decorated flowers and put them with the picket fence around the room.

Here's a few bulletin boards I used:
    Flutter by, Butterfly
    Look What's Growing (student work)
    The Buzz On... (this was a star student type of board, they brought/drew pictures for different things)
    Busy Bees (helpers)

Hope this helps!

13. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Apr 29, 2008

Last year I did monkeys. The welcome board was "Swinging Into Kindergarten" and all the monkeys were hole punched and threaded on green yarn. Each monkey had a child's name on it. My helpers were Curious George with his arms up. In one hand he's holding a star with the job title on it, in the other hand he's holding bananas with the kids' names on it. It has the saying "Curious About Our Jobs"

Other ideas with this theme:
    Rules: We Don't Monkey Around
    Reading: We APE-solutely Love Books!

14. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

May 5, 2008

I have the Kinder-Garden theme in my classroom! You can do so much with it! I use ladybugs for the girls and bumblebees for the boys. I have adirondack chairs painted with ladybugs and dragonflies, a grass rug, and flowers in the reading center and a picnic table with bugs for the listening center. My behavior management is ladybugs and they have to move spots if they are not following rules. I really love the Kinder-Garden theme! Other cute themes are Jungle (Kindergarten Safari or Wild for Kindergarten) and Western (Kindergarten Round Up). Have fun! :)

15. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 19, 2008

Just a quick addition - I had a "Bananas for Books" bulletin board. The students made monkeys that I put up on the wall. For each book the students read, I gave them bananas to tape on to their monkey's hand. I made a pattern for one banana and for five bananas, so we could practice counting by fives.

16. gateachermom

gateachermom Rookie

May 20, 2008

Our K teachers are doing a farm theme for next year. Each of us have picked animal mascots for our classes (I'm the Lucky Ducks) and we're going to decorate our rooms and hallway with farm things. I've done the rodeo, ocean, and communities before and they all are fun to do.

17. repete8

repete8 Companion

May 20, 2008

I have had a stars theme and the ocean theme. Next year, I plan on a tropical/luau theme. Dollar Tree had a TON of luau stuff last month, so I will be using all my bargains to decorate. Too bad I can't start the year off with that theme...our new building won't be completed by August so we will have to move when its complete.