Themed Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kdw1913, Jun 10, 2007.

1. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

This will be my first year teaching and my classroom is the size of a shoebox! I really want to decorate it, but don't want to go overboard. I want it to be a movie theater/hollywood theme. I have ideas like a red carpet into the classroom and in front of the blackboard for when they're working problems, and a "Wall of Fame" with hollywood stars for some of their favorite celebrities and a bulletin board for student work. My classroom doesn't have a physical door, so I wanted to hang red curtains. Do a popcorn word wall if we use them during the year. A "Now Playing" sign with the day's lesson and homework posted. And fake Oscar type awards as rewards and have kids do acceptance speeches. Is it too much? Should it be more related to math? Are 7th graders too old for a themed classroom?

Thanks for any opinions and advice!

3. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Super keen ideas, kdw!!
    Great motivators for 7th Graders! Enthusiasm is catching and your students should be turned on by all your themed decorations!

Mitzi

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2007

I think it's a FABULOUS idea! If you could get a directors chair for you to sit in, that would be cool, too! Or even as a place for the kids to sit for the day as a reward!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2007

I think if you stuck with applying the theme to things like you already have, it won't get too over crowded. 7th graders should still enjoy the theme approach- I think we sometimes forget that we can bring the extras to teaching past elementary.