Theme?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Nicole S., Jul 7, 2008.

1. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I need some ideas for a theme. I need a refresher to preschool, as it's been a couple of years. What are some things that you are doing/or have done lately. Any ideas are welcomed?

3. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Is this for the summer or Back to School? What age?

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Here's a link to the themes page on my website, there you can see all the themes I do during the year.

5. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

This will be back to school. I will be teaching 4's, Monday, Wednesday, Friday and 3's Tuesday, Thursday.

6. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I can send you a Word file that has a year's worth of themes and objectives for 4's. (I use a lot of V. Levin's ideas!!) I also have it (and other stuff) posted on yahoo group- flylady_4_elementary_teachers in the file section under Pre-K ideas. Just let me know if you want it.
    Thanx

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Mostly the file is ideas and objectives to cover. The details are in my lesson plans, in the computer, in the district's lesson plan program that we have to complete each week.

For back to school, my team does a bear theme. The other teachers do Teddy Bear Picnic and Going on a Bear Hunt. I do Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

We are mostly doing classroom procedures, but I enlarge 6 pictures (5-6 days, depending on when school starts) that are in the book (brown, red, yellow,green, blue, purple). I trace them on large white painting paper. Each day we take old teacher catalogs (safe for Pre-K) and after modeling and discussing scissor safety, glue skills (dot, dot, not alot), and colors, they cut out pictures that are the color of the day and glue it inside the animal. (brown bear, red bird, yellow duck, etc.) I hit colors, scissor skills, glue skills, teamwork, listening, and Literacy, etc. all at once.

I have the students bring a bear from home about the 2nd or 3rd day for a few days. The bears get to "play" when we leave the room. Sometimes they make a mess and we talk about cleaning up after ourselves. We also go on a "Bear Hunt" to see where the cafeteria, office, bathrooms and front door are. Sometimes one or two get really scared and cry so be careful how you "pump" the experience.

I do a lot more with the bears, but this may get you started.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 8, 2008

I've done a southwest type theme, had cactus (cacti), cowboy stuff, and I had a BB up with "Nacho Ordinary Preschool" with fake nacho chips with the kids' names on them. I scanned a nacho from a big bag of Doritos Cool Ranch chips and printed them on cardstock.

I think I'm going that route again this year. It's been a few years since I did that... '03 I guess.

9. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

If you would send that file to me I would greatly appreciate it.

I also love the Southwest type theme.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

:)

10. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

tgi could you please send me all you have for Prek :) Thanks in Advance!

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 13, 2008

I would love it...but I do not have word...is there a way for it to be e-mailed in a format I can open with microsoft works???? :wub:

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

she could try copying and psting it into an email--

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

If I had another PK classroom, I would do a learning food theme. I would use "Alphabet Soup" for my word wall and have a red background with letters that look like alphabet soup ABC pasta. I would also incorporate animal crackers for an animal BB or area. Shapes would be lucky charms. Numbers, maybe Count Chocula with the numbers made out of chocolate dots (like the cereal).

14. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

Are you looking for a theme jst for the beginning of school or for the whole year? I do weekly themes and can give you some general ideas of what they were this last year if you want---

15. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Annual Theme List - pretty long!!

Mine was in a table and pretty long, but here goes... I've emailed it out a lot and thought I'd just post it. Guess I need to get started on my own little web site. (sarzacsmom - I'd like to see yours....) I have another one that lists some books, nursery rhymes and objectives that goes with each week too....

2008-2009
    WEEK DATE TOPIC
    WD/PD starts August 13
    Week 1/2 August 21 (2 days) Kissing Hand, B - Bears – Procedures –colors
    Week 1 August 25 (begin Brigance) B – Bears – Colors, Shapes, scissor/glue skills
    Week 2 September 2 (4 days) (Labor Day) C – Colors, Cake, Candles, Cupcakes, Candy, Cats
    Week 3 September 8 N – Names, Nursery Rhymes, Numbers
    Week 4 September 15 (Open House?) F – Farm
    Week 5 September 22 D – Ducks, Dogs
    Week 6 September 29 H – Hats, Hands, Heart, Horses(start 5 senses w/ Little Red Hen)
    Week 7 October 6 A – Apples (5 senses) (Fire Safety)
    Week 8 October 13 (3 days) (BMs) Fall Break Z – Zoo (Field Trip)
    Week 9 October 20 (BMs) G – Goats (3), Green
    Week 10 October 27 P – Pumpkins, Scarecrows
    Week 11 November 3 L – Leaves, Election Day
    Week 12 November 10 I – Indians, Ice Cream, Veterans Day
    Week 13 November 17 T - Turkey
    Week 14 November 24 (1 day (PTC 24th&25th) Th - Thanksgiving Feast
    Week 15 December 1 Gingerbread Man
    Week 16 December 8 R – Reindeer, Red, (Rhymes), Christmas Around the World
    Week 17 December 15 (BMs) S – Santa, Polar Express, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa
    December 22 (CHRISTMAS BREAK starts)
    Week 18 January 5 (BMs) S – Snowman, Winter, Patterns
    Week 19 January 12 M – Mitten, Mouse(mice) magnets, MLK Day
    Week 20 January 19 (4 days)(MLK – 19th) Y –, Yellow, Yarn, Yak, Penguins
    Week 21 January 26 (Feb 2 – 100 Day?) K – King, Kites (seasons)
    Week 22 February 2 (4 days- PTC Feb5 & Feb6) 100 Day, Nursery Rhymes
    Week 23 February 9 V – Valentine, Violin
    Week 24 February 16 (4 days) (Pres Day) Teeth, Comm Helpers (Dentist, Dr., Police)
    Week 25 February 23 W – Weather, Worms,
    Week 26 March 2 (BMs) Q & U – Queens, Quilt, Umbrellas, Dr Seuss
    Week 27 March 9(BMs) X – X-Ray, Pirates
    Week 28 March 16 Spring Break
    Week 29 March 23 O – Ocean, Rainbow Fish
    Week 30 March 30 (4 days? snow day 4-3) J – Jelly Beans
    Week 31 April 6 E – Easter, Elmer. Egg (oviparous animals)
    Week 32 April 13 Dinosaurs (Field Trip?)
    Week 33 April 20 (begin B) O – Oklahoma, Old West (caterpillars)
    Week 34 April 27 (PTC – May 1st & 2nd) Plants
    Week 35 May 4 (4 Days ) (4th – PD) Insects (Butterflies)
    Week 36 May 11 (BMs) Camp Learned A Lot
    Week 37 May 18 (BMs) Camp Learned A Lot/Summer Activities
    Week 38 May 25 (3 days, Memorial Day 25th, Students Last Day is 5-28, WD 5-29) Summer Activities
    B = Brigance BMs = Benchmarks PTC = Parent Teacher Conferences WD/PD = Work Day/Professional Day

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

TGI1515 - Thank you so much! This is wonderful! :hugs:

17. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jul 15, 2008

We try to build themes around books and the children's interests. We usually start in the fall with an All About Me Theme and read From Head To Toe. We usually do farms next. Then it's really Fall and moving towards Halloween. We try to read The Mitten after Christmas and then move on to Bears.

It's fun to read all the ideas.

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I'll see how I do remembering--I have some of it saved on my lap top and all of it saved in hard copy form at work. I'm on vacation this week so I'll have to work form what I have here----
    September--
    letter A/making friends
    letter B/ all about me
    letter C/ apples
    letter D/

October
    letter E/ Colors
    letter F/leaves
    Letter Review/pumpkins
    Harvest Week
    November---
    Turkeys / Letter G
    The First Thanksgiving / Letter Review (E,F,G)
    Fun & Games/ Skill Practice (Patterning & 1-to-1 correspondence)
    “It’s Cold Outside” / Letter H
    December---
    The Nativity
    Christmas SHAPES
    Giving TO Others
    Winding down/Letter Review
    January----
    Snow & snowmen/letter I
    Dressed for Winter/J
    Artic Animals/letter K
    Awake in the Woods/letter review I,J,K
    February----
    Sun & Shadows/letter L
    Hearts and Valentine's Day /letter M
    Dental Health/letter N
    Circus/letter Review O
    March----
    lions /letter P
    lambs/letter Q
    wind/letter R
    rain and mud/S
    April---
    Frogs/T
    Plants/U
    Week of the Young Child/V
    Numbers/W
    May---

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

sorry hit the worng button--

May---
    Mothers/X
    Butterflies/Y
    5 Senses/Z
    Bugs
    June----
    Jthe first two weeks of June were spent making books to help review the things we'd learned----
    letter Books
    Number Books
    Shapes books
    Color Books

and finishing up portfolios

the third week was when our sumer camp program started for two weeks we were doing a fun activity like playdough, shaving cream etc each day and we started doing water play everyday.

July---
    Red White & Blue
    Summer Fun
    Nursery Rhymes
    Eric Carle
    Camping
    August---
    The Ocean
    Summer Olympics
    The Zoo
    Fun Favorites

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I love this site...Thanks sarzacsmom! :hugs:

21. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

More Theme info 1st 9 weeks - Sorry another long one!

You're welcome. Sorry I didn't have the patience to convert the file to Works. Here's my other file... I think... whoa.... way too long. I'll try 1st 9 weeks. I use WAY MORE books, but can't list them all. I added more Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales, last year and wanted to try to "theme" them. I also needed to track it somehow. I had the kids do an art project/page and put their NR "page" with the rhyme on it in a NR folder and gave it to them at the end of the year.

I also start collecting things that are "farm-like" starting week 2 (cows) to build my farm theme. Also, every month I change my color focus. I pick a day to wear that color and celebrate! :party: Example - In Sept. we will wear yellow on Fun Friday of Dd week. We will make donuts in class, decorate with yellow frosting, yellow sprinkles, served on a yellow plate with yellow napkin (Dd, circles, squares, color yellow, etc.) The first year I taught Pre-K we did letters in order but was too hard for me to fit in with Themes, although I tried. When I taught K, we didn't teach alpha in order and convinced my team to try ABCs out of order.. Yea!

I have this in a landscape table. The columns are: WEEK, DATE, TOPIC, Nurs Rhy/FairyTale/Book, READING Objectives, MATH Objectives SCIENCE & SS Objectives

Pre-K Plan 2008-2009 – 1st 9 weeks

Week 1/2 August 21 (2 days) Procedures/Names
    (B)BEARS, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Front Cover, Count, Season - Summer, Weather, Colors

Week 1 August 25, Brigance Procedures/Names,
    (B)BEARS, Brown Bear, Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, Bear Hunt, Front Cover, Expresses Needs, Shapes, Sorting 5 Senses – See, Season - Summer, Colors

Week 2 YELLOW September 2, (4 days) (Labor Day) Brigance,
    (C) Cows, Cats, Colors, Cookies, Candy, Cake, Who Took the Cookie?, The Cow Who Went Oink, Back Cover, Shapes, Sorting, Count 0-5, 5 Senses –See/ Hear, Summer, Name, Colors

Week 3, September 8 Procedures,
    (N) Names, Numbers, Nursery Rhymes, Hey Diddle Diddle, Little Bo Peep, I Know an Old Lady/Fly, Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner... Was Her Name, Recognize name in print, Circle , Sorting, 5 Senses – Hear, Season - Summer, Full Name

Week 4 September 15 , (Open House?)
    (F) Farm, Little Boy Blue, Mrs. Wishy Washy, Front & Back Cover, Square, Sorting, 5 Senses – Feel, Season - Summer, Name, Age

Week 5 September 22
    (D) Dogs, Ducks, Old Mother Hubbard, Clifford, Duck on a Bike, Concepts of print, Repeats poems, rhymes, songs, Rectangle, Sorting, Count 0-5, 5 Senses – Feel / Smell, Summer to Fall, name, age

Week 6, ORANGE September 29
    (H) Hats, Hands, Horses, Helpers, Little Red Hen, Humpty Dumpty, Recognize Name, Repeats poems, rhymes, songs, Shapes, Sorting 5 Senses – Smell, Taste, Fall, Full Name, Age, Parent name

Week 7 October 6, (start BMs)
    (A) Apples, Acorns, Apple Books, Recognize Name, Repeats poems, rhymes, songs, Sorting, Same/Diff, 5 Senses – All 5, Season - Fall, Name, Age, Parent

Week 8 October 13 (3 days) (BMs)
    (Z) ZOO, Zipper, Zip Code, ZigZag, (FBreak – 16-17th) Zoo Animal Books, Dear Zoo, Recognize Name, Counting to 10, 5 Senses ,Group Interaction

Week 9 October 20, (BMs) Procedures
    (G) Goats, Green, 3 Billy Goats Gruff, Recognize Name, Triangle, Same/Diff, 5 Senses – Taste, Summer to Fall, Name, Age, Parent
    B = Brigance BMs = Benchmarks PTC = Parent Teacher Conferences WD/PD = Work Day/Professional Day

22. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks tgi1515 and sarzacsmom! I think this topic and your formats have motivated me to sit down and plan my school year out! :0)

23. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I love Sandra Boynton books. I bought her board books 15 years ago when my first child was born. My first and probably favorite is But Not the Hippopotomus :) Her From Head to Toe taught my boys about belly buttons. :eek: I was embarrased more than once in front of strangers. My Pre-K reads them now!

24. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I love the Z words...week 8...thanks for all the help!:2up: and your time getting these resources to us, you guys are great!:wub: