Theme?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Starista, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Hi!

So I usually don't get too crazy into themes - especially since I am learning a whole new curriculum coming from teaching second grade.

But I like to have a few staple decorations (birthday chart, welcome bulletin board set, AR goal chart, etc) and am wondering if the following are too primary:

Owls
    Bumble Bees
    Movie Star Theme

Please advise! Thanks so much!!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2014

My old school used to do school-wide themes and we did Hollywood once. Not too primary. I've seen owls in upper grades, too. I don't think bees are too primary, either, even though I've never seen it personally.

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

I'm going with "Dots on Turquoise" by Creative Teaching Press which is just a color scheme as opposed to an actual theme. I thought I would want a theme but the colors in this line just stood out to me.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Ooh I love that color.. I'll have to check it out. What do you do for behavior? I used to do the clip chart (outstanding down to parent contact) in second. Thanks!

6. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

I am new to teaching this year and have given this area a lot of thought. I think I am going with a primary color scheme type of thing. I'm going to use the colors of the rainbow (red, blue, purple, green, yellow, orange) because these colors seem simple to find and I wont have to spend a fortune. The colors will be used for deco purposes, as well as for table groups for organization. And this way, as I find things in any of those colors, I can add them in.

I don't know if this is the best way, but I think it is how I will start off the year. I'm trying to save where I can and hoping this can help.

In terms of themes, I think all of the ones you mentioned can be age-appropriate.

7. TXTeacherW

TXTeacherW Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

My room is simply just bright colors... I stay away from primary personally, though. I tie in my love of giraffes and The Beatles. I like being free with my choices so I can just get things that look cute. I've seen a classroom on pinterest, though, where it was mainly black and white with pops of neon color. I loved that! I just like to not be entirely confined to a theme.

The Hollywood theme is so cute. A teacher on my team has that, and her whole group positive reinforcement with it is adorable. She has a large empty jar and another large jar full of popcorn kernels. Kids earn "scoops" of popcorn in the empty jar. When the jar fills, they have a "popcorn party" (not a super long party, just a little break, put on a little movie clip or youtube song).. The kids love it.